Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One thing that Rift is really lacking.................

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

.................is a wide variety of playable races.     With their new expansion, I was hoping that they would've added a few more playable races.    The game has been out for almost 2 years and just 3 races (Human, another mostly human, and dwarf),  just isnt much of a selection.   Trion Worlds has done a good job with their updates and CS but this one thing imo, that stands out on what is lacking with the game currently.   I dont play this game much  (just to Wow generic) but its not bad game at all, but this glaring flaw, imo, kinda limits me from wanting to play it much.  I just think playing humans or mostly humanoid is just kinda boring.   My 2 cents.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i think it's fine.  it fits their lore. 
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Along with the combat mechanics this is the main reason I don't play, the races and a lot of the gear is very mediocre, TERA and GW2 have far better race design and culture.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    More race choices is always something I like. I don't think it needs more, but more would always be good.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

for me it's always been: uninspiring (aka ugly) armor and character models. It's surprising considering how amazing the environment looks.

as for the races: i don't think it's all that big of a deal, it would be *better* (if needed) if you could just customize them more (a-la aion).

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316

I think the art style of Rift is definitely an aquired taste.  After half a year I quite liked the armor and character styles, but I was also always disappointed that there wasn't a wider race selection.

But more than that, what sucked about Rift was the single starting zone per faction.  This just killed the alt experience for me.

Did they add more starter areas in the expansion by the way?

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Don't really see how anyone could disagree with this.  
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I dont want any more starting zones, waste of time and energy. Rift is not alt game. You can switch your classes as you fit anyway.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I dont want any more starting zones, waste of time and energy. Rift is not alt game. You can switch your classes as you fit anyway.

well what you are basically saying is "I have my playstyle and I dont give a damn about anyone else, even if it would help increase population"  

And, this thread isnt about starting zones, its about extra races.  And I don't see how anyone could disagree that Human, elf, dwarf, bahmi is 'lacking' in the racial selection department. 

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

.................is a wide variety of playable races.     With their new expansion, I was hoping that they would've added a few more playable races.    The game has been out for almost 2 years and just 3 races (Human, another mostly human, and dwarf),  just isnt much of a selection.   Trion Worlds has done a good job with their updates and CS but this one thing imo, that stands out on what is lacking with the game currently.   I dont play this game much  (just to Wow generic) but its not bad game at all, but this glaring flaw, imo, kinda limits me from wanting to play it much.  I just think playing humans or mostly humanoid is just kinda boring.   My 2 cents.

Replayability is the main problem of Rift. I agree. Add to that the static combat. Dungeons that are linear as hell. I could go on, but the bottom line is that Trion never invested in the depth of the game world.

It takes one to know one.

• Dr_NegativeDr_Negative Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by gelraen

But more than that, what sucked about Rift was the single starting zone per faction.  This just killed the alt experience for me.

Did they add more starter areas in the expansion by the way?

It's a double-edged sword. Eventually >90% of a game's players are high level, making the starter zones desolate. WoW is a perfect example of this....multiple starter zones thin out what few new/alt low-level players there are to the point it feels like a single-player game for the first 20 or 30 levels.

Also, Rift's zone events for the lowbies benefit by having fewer starting zones and bringing them together to learn that important aspect of gameplay.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Along with the combat mechanics this is the main reason I don't play, the races and a lot of the gear is very mediocre, TERA and GW2 have far better race design and culture.

I loved leveling in RIFT. It was one of the best experiences in an MMO ever. The pvp while leveling in new areas was fantastic but the few race choices and the way they implemented every horrid wow feature ( pvp battlegrounds in particular ) really ruined it for me.

I went back to check out my characters in f2p and was well, a bit underwhelmed. That said, if they removed battlegrounds and PPV gear and made a server that was faction PVP and all about the world and rifts and pvp was for control of that...

I would probably go back there and never leave. Contested pvE content is amazing stuff and I had thought that the rifts would bring that, but with the PVP stats they added ( copying wow ) it became clear that they were trying to cater to far too many "factions of players" for me to find the game i wanted..

Is there any pvp left ? 

Is it all in battlegrounds then ganking with gear that has pvp stats ?

Are there still pvp stats ?

thanks !

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by muffins89
    i think it's fine.  it fits their lore. 

lol, their lore is pretty bland though.  It's seemingly defined by the rifts.  It's like there's nothing significant that ever happened in it's history until some vague battle took place, resulting in rifts.

You make me like charity

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Of all the things RIFT has done right the character generator is definitely the one thing they got wrong.  That is not to say there are FAR worse versions in other games but the VAST majority of those are hardly considered AAA and thus didnt' release with a sub fee (please understand I am referring to the release era of RIFT and NOT older games, although that argument still stands in MANY AAA cases).

Sure they gave a few sliders for facial dimensions and some color variations.  They also provided a few hair styles (some of which they leeched from other races later ala WoW).  However the reality is few characters of a given race really looked THAT different from one another.

MANY AAA games from the era in which RIFT released and a number of which released years prior offered a MUCH MORE robust character creation system (COX for example).  This may not mean much to many and some will argue in the end players generally look the same regardless after gear is applied.

That statement is true in games which don't offer actual freedom in character design (Aion is one example that is taken to the extreme by having VERY distorted body shapes/sizes).  But given the option, especially in an xpac, developers should probably acknowlege that players of MMO's prefer to seperate themselves from the pack (which is usually provided but rarely by appearance which I've found most would prefer).

Dimensions has offered this to a certain extent (and is honestly a step in the right direction fo all games, although it's really nothing new if you look at EQ2 or others).  That doesn't take away from the fact the average players would prefer their toon didn't look like the next guy wearing similar gear (much like in RL).