Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$600~ Gaming Build?

GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
I got some great help here last week on a $1000 build that is amazing so far. I just wanted to see if anyone is also familiar with parts for a tighter budget and could lay some stuff out for me that I could show my buddy who is looking to build something for himself. I know it won't be amazing, but he is upgrading from a 3 year old budget laptop that barely runs LoL. The price can be a little higher too so around $600 if anyone is willing to, thanks!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    It depends on what needs to fit in that budget.  Does he need new peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, surge protector), or can he reuse them from an old computer?
  • GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
    This is strictly the tower and what goes inside of it, he isn't including a monitor or OS in this price. Thanks for the responses!
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Kano

The gpu is fine on that pc, i would beef u the cpu with another $100
  • SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by DMKano

Here's a good one $500 build from toms hardware, you could beef up the ram and video card if you wanted to go to $600

$500 Gaming PC System Components  

CPU

Intel Pentium G850 (Sandy Bridge): 2.9 GHz Base Clock Rate, No Turbo Boost, 3 MB Shared L3 Cache

$70

Heat Sink

Intel Boxed Heat Sink and Fan

Motherboard

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP: LGA 1155, Intel H77 Express

$70

RAM

G.Skill Value Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT $34

Graphics

PowerColor AX7850 1GBD5-DH: Radeon HD 7850 1 GB $170

Hard Drive

Western Digital WD3200AAKX: 320 GB, 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive

$65

Case

Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid-Tower $40

Power Supply

Antec VP-450 450 W $36

Optical Drive

LG 24x DVD Burner SATA Model GH24NS90-OEM $16

Total Price $501

Pretty good setup, I would enjoy everything but the CPU, but if your going with intel it will break your budget to upgrade.

You could get the Intel Core i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core for just 620$.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah I might be tempted to go fx6300. On (most) games it benches pretty good, like a 2500k, just there will be the odd the that will not play ball with it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Tom's Hardware's builds tend to be just stupid.  They put way too much emphasis on getting the best average frame rates at high settings in their synthetic benchmarks today, and not nearly enough on making sure that the computer is good for anything else.  Or will still run in a year, let alone play games that launch next year.  A slow dual core processor is not what you want today.

And that's on top of the problems with taking an old build with old prices that aren't available today while being unable to choose proper modern parts.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Tom's Hardware's builds tend to be just stupid.  They put way too much emphasis on getting the best average frame rates at high settings in their synthetic benchmarks today, and not nearly enough on making sure that the computer is good for anything else.  Or will still run in a year, let alone play games that launch next year.  A slow dual core processor is not what you want today.

And that's on top of the problems with taking an old build with old prices that aren't available today while being unable to choose proper modern parts.

I don't normally do this yet I feel it should be said.  While I do agree that the "PC for said price" builds offered by many sites such as Tom's Hardware are far from the greatest they do generally offer a decent starting point.  Someone looking into a $5-600 budget system honestly shouldn't expact longevity as a gaming machine.  If they are then they really need to understand PC gaming costs more than console gaming (minus PC game sales at dirt cheap prices).  The Tom's Hardware build definitely needs some tweaks that would cost a bit more money (PSU to start with) but those could be made and still fit the $600 price point the OP is looking to stay within.  Hell you have stated on a NUMBER of occasions how dual core is still relevant in todays PC gaming environment (yes I realize it's a slow dual core, again another area that could be considered as an upgrade point and still remain in the price point).

Again, I'm not trying to say you are wrong, that is rarely ever realized on these boards, but there are times your advice tends to lend itself to absolutes rather than looking at how a certain build "can" be a good starting point as long as the person in question has a realistic idea of what to expect from the money are limited to, or willing to spend in some cases.

And for the record your build it better than Tom's Hardware but it's also more expensive (although within the price range the OP asked for) which was my point.