Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think its getting a bit quiet out there?

Comments

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    This isn't a real MMORPG, why would the population drop seem weird? Very few games keep high numbers outside the MMORPG genre, and those who do usually have more than one mode of arena multiplay... O.o
  • feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    They said they are going to add ascended stuff to other parts of the game.  Once they do that people will leave the fractals and get out in the world again.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by fiontar

It must be server specific. I'm on Tarnished Coast. When I do my dailies and a little level 70-80 farming with my Level 80 Thief, I see a good number of people roaming the zones and at Dynamic Events. Lion's Arch is still bustling, I always end up in overflow, often even at odd hours. I also started a Guardian this week and Divinity's Reach and Queensdale bot have very healthy populations.

If I do some free roaming play in the level 40-70 zones, sometimes things can feel a bit underpopulated, but that has more to do with the current population distribution than anything.

You can still do a weekly free server transfer, so if your server is dead and you have no ties there, you might check out a more populated server.

I stopped playing a couple weeks back and Tarnished Coast had been my server for a while.  It seemed really really dead outside the cities and 70+ areas.

The problem is....how do you know what server to move to?   All the servers pretty much say "Full" all the time, so if your server is dead yet still says Full.....what do you do?

I had a few weeks off fro the game due to an unexpected illness, but the past few weeks I've found Tarnished Coast to be pretty populated, considering how large the game is. I just played this after noon and while in Kessex Hills I had a half dozen to a dozen people showing up for almost all the Dynamic Events and I didn't work on a heart where there weren't at least a couple more people doing the same.

In the mid-ranges, some zones are more populated than others. I've found that the closer to Lion's Arch, the more people you run into. I enjoy the wintery mid level zones, but they have been fairly sparse compared to the jungle zones. Even there, though, I was still running into people.

I don't know what to tell you. The game is more fun when playing with others on voice chat, so you might want to find a good guild to play with. I play more than my friends and still enjoy playing alone, but there is nothing like sociable play with good people.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I am not panicking too much about it still. I am going to check out some other servers though as I haven't moved at all yet. 

The worst thing about MMO's generally is that you kind of expect that great buzz for 3 months and then deafening silence.  The key issue for companies is how to keep pop spread across zones.

GW2, due to scaling down to zone level, could easily stick in a massive event in a range of low tier or mid tier zones.  Be a good way to drag the 80's back into open world and create a buzz for levelling or new players again. 

The only game that has managed to keep players populating all zones is EVE.  Wish more fantasy games could manage this.

Thanks for the server advice though, never though about moving.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It's so not your imagination.

Between their horrible emplementation of the loot rolls system, the serious bugs in the class abilities (engineers find a new one every week) and the new ascended gear elitism there is alot for them to fix that they themselves broke over the past three months. 

Every game has it's issues but these aren't from anything that they couldn't seriously handle and quickly if they put the resources to it.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Still playing but also finding that less and less people are about, due to work I'm on a diffent times all the time so get to see a wide spread, weekends I see a few more but still starting to feel like a single player game.

*shrugs* will keep playing a while long see if it picks up, if they do a server merge would be good though.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    I have moved a few time, it is much the same on all of the servers that I have been to and getting worse!
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    If the trend continues GW2's population will be lower than SWTOR's in a few months. It's already about to be surpassed by FC3, BF3, D3, WoT, Minecraft on Xfire. I wonder when they will start merging servers.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    If the trend continues GW2's population will be lower than SWTOR's in a few months. It's already about to be surpassed by FC3, BF3, D3, WoT, Minecraft on Xfire. I wonder when they will start merging servers.

Omfg Ninjanomyx

*high pitched scream*

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I wonder how long all the people that don't play the game will still be able to tell us everything about it.  Thank heavens for all these clairvoyants, what better place to gain expert opinions than from the mouths of the ignorant.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Vannor

Wow, you've been playing xcom for a month? I was done with that ater 2 days.

Yeh, population is lower now. What else could have happened though? The launch was so successful that it could only go down instead of up. Find the right server for the times that you play.

Wow, your still playing GW2? I was done with that by level 9.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Was on Anvil Rock,Sanctum of Rall, and now Im on Sorrow's Furnace..

they've all been a ghost town around lvl 45ish..

albeit,Ive only logged in while on Sorrows Furnace maybe twice.Not expecting it to be a block party though.

I think whats happened is, the GW2 party is over.People are over it and have moved on to other games such as Xcom or whatever.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The population on GW2 spikes back up every new content patch (Haloween, Lost Shores). I expect the December patch to bring in some activity again.

I myself haven't played in two weeks now, but it's not because I'm bored of the game. I'm just busy with other more pressing stuff, and I don't want to miss out the chance to play other games as well. And it's perfect because I don't have a monthly bill to worry about.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Why does it seem that most people in this thread are surprised? Every single last clone to date has the exact same problem regardless if it was well received like Rift/GW2 or badly like AoC/SWTOR.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

ANet messed up pretty bad. i havent touched the fractals crap. world is dead. until they improve open world DE's and rewards, i wont be playing any PVE. i took a break after the Ascended fiasco, and now im too busy playing XCOM and BL2 myself. 

i bought GW2 for pvp anyway, so i'll likely reinstall if Dec 14 patch notes look decent. 

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by karmath

Why does it seem that most people in this thread are surprised? Every single last clone to date has the exact same problem regardless if it was well received like Rift/GW2 or badly like AoC/SWTOR.

GW2 was the first original MMo since WoW and has revolutionized the industry. it's the best MMO out right now, period. too bad MMO's suck in general. 

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I just logged off and majority of the servers are still full. People could be in dungeons, could be in WvW - but I think there's plenty of people on. 
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Destai
    I just logged off and majority of the servers are still full. People could be in dungeons, could be in WvW - but I think there's plenty of people on. 

They are concentrated in FOTM or the beginning areas.

There is a big 20-70 wasteland that even the ANet dev's have said 'need to figure something out' when it was brought up in their AMA recently.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I wonder how long all the people that don't play the game will still be able to tell us everything about it.  Thank heavens for all these clairvoyants, what better place to gain expert opinions than from the mouths of the ignorant.

this is what we call 'denial'. you're not telling us anything, just burying your head in the sand at what others tell us.

well done. just stay off the concrete.

OK. So I've been playing all day. I have yet to see an area that doesn't have people running around. I have done multiple DE's and never once was there less than 3 people involved.  I've been playing in 15-25, 45-55, 55-65 zones.  I've hardly seen areas that there isn't somebody veiwable pretty much everywhere I go.

There is your information. Now I'm not living in denial and you can quit being ignorant.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Everyone's busy running fractals atm which unfortunately have the side effect of diluting the playpool due to their nature. Right now, it's level based, meaning people who reach a specific level generally won't bother with the levels before it, which spreads the population thin. Anet will be addressing this soon in an update which will likely change it to tier based instead of level-based. In the meantime, I'd suggest you get a good guild. Mine is extremely active with no less than 30 people on at a time, twice that in the evenings, with an even split between dungeon runners and WvW'ers. It's so easy to find things to do with people I know and trust that to be perfectly honest, I don't really bother interacting with anyone else.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    My server has been pretty packed. I find groups everywhere still and it isn't even one of the full servers. I'm not sure but it seems like the population is incredibly similar to when it first came out, maybe not AS many people but still quite a few.
  • BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Robokapp

this is what we call 'denial'. you're not telling us anything, just burying your head in the sand at what others tell us.

well done. just stay off the concrete.

OK. So I've been playing all day. I have yet to see an area that doesn't have people running around. I have done multiple DE's and never once was there less than 3 people involved.  I've been playing in 15-25, 45-55, 55-65 zones.  I've hardly seen areas that there isn't somebody veiwable pretty much everywhere I go.

There is your information. Now I'm not living in denial and you can quit being ignorant.

Same here was on the better part of the day .

Folks were just about everywhere in all zones.

I will say tho its not like 2-3 months ago tho

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I was on with my  level 40 something to 50 something in piken square and people were around, we even fought  a big dragon event in the zone, i don't know other servers but Piken Square seem ok so far, no problem finding people wandering around or doing events.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by sfc1971

Quit playing for a while, Far Cry 3 in my case and noticed it before I left.

GW2 pulled a stupid move with Ascended gear, which was for a while concentrating everyone into grinding that gear set and that left normal quest areas empty.

It is an ancient problem with level/gear based MMO's. Add a new level cap and that is where everyone is, grinding away, presenting a barren world to everyone else.

It is the reason Ascended gear was so protested against. Doing this kinda stuff never helped make a game more lively, accesible or even just plain fun.

Lotro was the same, pre-moria people were playing through all areas, post-moria 99% was locked up in moria grinding hope gear.

Soccer clubs spend a LOT of time on their junior teams because they know that you need new blood to survive. MMO's put any new player in lonely world with an ever bigger level gap to cross and wonder why they die out.

Yeah this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

The game isnt dead, just the leveling areas.

Also lots of people when making alts will get them up to 35, then just level them with dungeon speed runs, this also gets them a full set of exotic gear when they hit 80, which doing open-world content will not.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I just logged back onto Ferguson's Crossing last night in over a month and was playing my 33 ranger in Gendarren Fields. I soloed 3 dynamic events while playing. I did see a handful of other players while running around in the zone.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR