Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Most hated MMORPG

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Axehandle
    Originally posted by korent1991

Right. You know when you say no offense and then call someone ignorant and ridiculous it is actually intendedly ofending someone.

It's not "an opinion". I see you managed to open up the FAQ page and read the first sentence, but you missed what follows...

"Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?"

"Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Warswas designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience."

http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Sounds like Arenanet saw a car, knew it was a car then said we will call it a giraffe. 

The bottom line is the game is online based features role playing and has massive multi player gameplay.

Even Wikipedia calls it an mmorpg and they are never wrong.

If a dev calls the game CORPG then that's what it is.

I see you don't know how wikipedia works... Anyone can edit stuff in there.

Someone replaced the "CORPG" genre with "MMORPG" with this explanation:

"Given the fact that the phrase "CORPG" never caught on other than when used in context of ArenaNet press release/propaganda, I am replacing all reference of it with either MMORPG, Online RPG or something similar. --72.229.239.90 (talk) 06:59, 15 April 2012 (UTC)"

EDIT:

If they knew it was an MMORPG, don't you think it would be called an MMORPG. Or better yet, played like an mmorpg?

I played the game since the release and I agree with the genre classification. 

Also this:

"Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place." ,

is the main reason why this game isn't considered an MMORPG.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

Right. You know when you say no offense and then call someone ignorant and ridiculous it is actually intendedly ofending someone.

It's not "an opinion". I see you managed to open up the FAQ page and read the first sentence, but you missed what follows...

"Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Warswas designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience."

Sounds like Arenanet saw a car, knew it was a car then said we will call it a giraffe. 

The bottom line is the game is online based features role playing and has massive multi player gameplay.

"Given the fact that the phrase "CORPG" never caught on other than when used in context of ArenaNet press release/propaganda, I am replacing all reference of it with either MMORPG, Online RPG or something similar. --72.229.239.90 (talk) 06:59, 15 April 2012 (UTC)"

If it shuts you up and keeps this thread on topic ill admit I was wrong about whatever you think I was wrong about. Happy?

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

EDIT:

If they knew it was an MMORPG, don't you think it would be called an MMORPG. Or better yet, played like an mmorpg?

Also this:

"Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place." ,

The one thing I find interesting, though... I've read lots of people questioning whether GW1 is considered an MMO or not (including arenanet themselves in the quotes mentioned before)... but I've yet to find someone doing the same for DDO, that by general consensus seem to be considered an MMO, yet the general style is the same, persistent towns/cities where you form groups, and 100% instanced adventure areas for you and your group alone.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Mine would have to Be, Vanguard

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

EDIT:

Also this:

The one thing I find interesting, though... I've read lots of people questioning whether GW1 is considered an MMO or not (including arenanet themselves in the quotes mentioned before)... but I've yet to find someone doing the same for DDO, that by general consensus seem to be considered an MMO, yet the general style is the same, persistent towns/cities where you form groups, and 100% instanced adventure areas for you and your group alone.

I've seen many, many posts on this site asserting that one game or another, generally one far less heavily instanced than Guild Wars (where from what I remember you can have at most 24 players in a PvP area, and 16 in a PvE area (8 leaving aside two two-team missions and two not-called-raids in Factions) are "not MMOs" or "not real MMos." Can't say if DDO is among them as I never played or paid much attention to that game.

As for the OP question, I consider hating on a video game to be a waste of time and emotional energy, though maybe I'm just too old, heh. With a bit of effort I could probably name 10-12 online RPGs (whether "real MMOs" or not is an argument I don't want to get into) that I've played for varying lengths of time and stopped playing for one reason or another, but generally when I stop playing I prefer to walk away, uninstall the thing and stop hanging out on forums connected with it.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

WOW.

It isn't a bad game, it is very polished, has loads of content, good story...in fact everything about the game is well made.

But I found the game very boring despite how well made it was. But that isn't why it gets my vote.

The problem is it has more or less destroyed any creativity or artistic freedom in the industry and brought in 'money men' to run things who don't seem to actually have a clue what people want, what gaming is all about or how to actually make a fun and sustainable game.

I wanted to vote WoW for this reason but I just had to go with AoC because the OP said "hate."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by dancingstar
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

EDIT:

Also this:

I've seen many, many posts on this site asserting that one game or another, generally one far less heavily instanced than Guild Wars (where from what I remember you can have at most 24 players in a PvP area, and 16 in a PvE area (8 leaving aside two two-team missions and two not-called-raids in Factions) are "not MMOs" or "not real MMos." Can't say if DDO is among them as I never played or paid much attention to that game.

As for the OP question, I consider hating on a video game to be a waste of time and emotional energy, though maybe I'm just too old, heh. With a bit of effort I could probably name 10-12 online RPGs (whether "real MMOs" or not is an argument I don't want to get into) that I've played for varying lengths of time and stopped playing for one reason or another, but generally when I stop playing I prefer to walk away, uninstall the thing and stop hanging out on forums connected with it.

Tha'ts alright, it's OK to be a "quitter" in life and forums as well. imageBut for the rest of us forum PVP is a fun recreational activity that has nothing to do with actually playing any MMORPG's really. image

Back to the OP, I voted for Warhammer Online as my greatest disappointment, I really (naively) thought that people who made DAOC could make a worthy successor and never saw it coming that what we would get was far more WOW than DAOC in heritage.

As for anything bordering on hatred, Cryptic studios for making a bunch of poor games (IMO) and wrecking the Star Trek IP for the rest of us.  It will really take a lot to convince me to play one of their titles.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Can't say that I hated any of those game listed.  I played all of them and each one had something to offer but in some way disappointed me which is why I'm not currently playing them.  Sometimes it's not so much 'disappointment' as not providing the game systems I need to keep me happy and engauged.  Other times, I hit max level, don't raid/pvp grind and just felt it was time to move on.

Vanguard kind was a real disappointment to me, although it had some amazing qualities as well.  I think initially at launch it failed on a technical level, but was really ambitious.  Had it not failed technically, it would have been an incredible ride.  But diplomacy was awesome.  I loved that game system and haven't seen it in an mmo since.  I loved the open world feel and the look of my avatar.  Graphical style and setting were great too.  One major critique I would levy though is the same as most other mmo.  They put the really cool rp stuff at the end of the game.  The problem is, hardcore people play to the end and not all rp people are hardcore.  They should have frontloaded the game with rp elements to build community.  Housing should not have been end game or really expensive.  Many games do this and to my mind it is a flaw.  It's yet another thing that makes me long for SWG.

SWG was love/hate.  A lot more love than hate though.  It was the greatest mmo to date from the standpoint of just fitting me so perfectly as a gamer.  But it was marred by some technical issues, bugs, and really shitty customer service.  I'll never forget my frustrations with the game, it's just that the good times so far exceed those disappointments.

SWTOR was a huge disappointment.  Again, it's hard to say hate because that emotion is an extreme I just don't feel in my life.  But i was very disapointed.  The game's design is fail.  The graphical style is acceptable, but character creation was horribly limited.  The lack of community feeling as bolstered by its flawed technical limitations was a glaring weakness.  I left because I got bugged and could no longer advance my character.  After waiting for weeks they finally 'fixed' him, and then he bugged out again and my light side points no longer accumulated.  I left out of frustration.  It disappoints because it so horribly compares to SWG, which was a much deeper, mentally engauging game with a huge community.

EQ2 and AOC initially were diappointments do to technical aspects.  My rig had problems running those games at launch.  Over the years as my computer became stronger and they optimized their game engines and graphics they ran better.  I actually went back to AOC and I feel in many ways the game had redeemed itself in my eyes.  But again, after hitting max level, I was disappointed to find they did not have the game systems/features in place that would hold my attention.  All my friends also lost interest and quit for the same reason.  But it was a fun ride, beautiful graphics, beautiful avatars.  But so many missed opportunities, like the lack of appearance tabs, housing, variety of armor, poor crafting, etc. 

I could go on all morning.  But who is going to read all my bla bla bla anyway.  lol

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    vote for WoW cause it moved the challenge from PvP to PvE ...

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    wow , for the fugliest graphics ever to launch in a game

I miss DAoC

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    I don't really hate any MMOs, but I selected Guild Wars 2, because the end game is really lacking.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Not the greatest of thread ideas as the OP even mentions he is limited in the amount of games he can place, but I voted SWTOR. The hype was just way too much. If the hype from the people on this forum who now hate the game wasn't so brutally strong, I am sure the game wouldn't of annoyed me so much.

Also, no need to specificy which guildwars, as the original wasn't an MMO (ask the developers).

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well you got two almost tied  Wow, and SWTOR,  lol and I did not even see that many swg's added in the other collum 

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176
    GW2.
    Originally posted by madazz

Not the greatest of thread ideas as the OP even mentions he is limited in the amount of games he can place, but I voted SWTOR. The hype was just way too much. If the hype from the people on this forum who now hate the game wasn't so brutally strong, I am sure the game wouldn't of annoyed me so much.

Also, no need to specificy which guildwars, as the original wasn't an MMO (ask the developers).

I think the thread is fine (a little biased of me) but I agree the restrictions ever so slightly skew a few percentage points. Best case scenario would be adding all potential games as options including games like CoH and SWG that are no longer active.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I haven't played half of these games.  EQ1 had the worst overall design (Evercamping and forced grouping) and graphics(for its time) in my opinion. 

EQ2 was the worst themepark MMO on the list that I've tried.  I haven't tried Rift. Aion or TERA and don't plan to.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        I dont really "hate" WoW as I played it off and on for a year, but I hate what it did to the industry and to all the games that felt they had to follow its model from 2005 on.....WoW pretty much singlehandedly lead to the pussification of so many games today.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Warhammer. Not for what it was; I never played it and so I can't judge. But for what it was going to be, before the dark and brooding original vision for the game got canned. I guess it's rather like the antipathy that some SWG vets have towards SWTOR; that belief that an 'inferior' product has 'stolen' the IP from a cherished game. It's not necessarily a logical or reasonable attitude, but hatred isn't necessarily a logical or reasonable emotion. 
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Yeah, I can't say I hate any MMO.  There are plenty I have no interest in playing, some that I played and found out they weren't for me, but nothing that I can actually say I hate.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    If I was new to MMOs and to this site, I would take that poll in reverse and be sure to try the games in order of most voted for and try everything on the list in that order.  If MMORPG.com forumites claim to "hate" something.....it's probably good for at least the first six years you play it. lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by just1opinion
    If I was new to MMOs and to this site, I would take that poll in reverse and be sure to try the games in order of most voted for and try everything on the list in that order.  If MMORPG.com forumites claim to "hate" something.....it's probably good for at least the first six years you play it. lol

So you're saying the opinions of members usually means the opposite. So people slating swtor for having a bad engine, horrible Pve end game, extreme amounts of voice acting, the slowest loading screens on a major title and lots of other bugs should really read all that and think swtor is perfect and these people are just whiners?

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Darkfall Online

Day Z/War Z

All the Moba Games

Originally posted by darkedone02

Darkfall Online

Day Z/War Z

All the Moba Games

I've heard good things about unholy wars.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by darkedone02

Darkfall Online

Day Z/War Z

All the Moba Games

I've heard good things about unholy wars.

i hate anything that got hardcore PvP looting, it attracts all kinds of evil and bad people.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Hate is such a strong word. I dont "hate" any mmos. I dislike some due to their design choices but I dont hate any mmos. The closest I can come to is WoW which I actually love but believe has brought the mmo genre into the dark ages. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation