Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the fence? This pushed me over the edge.

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

this podcast helped me decide to try out DF:UW.  from 47:00 the recount of the speakers game.

http://www.mmosmacktalk.com/casts/2012/cast112/vprcast112.mp3

Comments

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by shadowmonke
    [mod edit]

I don't know what the issue is? First off hes trying help make peoples minds about getting the game or not... Second whats wrong with advertising DF releated stuff?

Make it even worse it has no advertising no links just to a damn clean blank podcast player.

Stop trying push away the new players viewing these forums. Go to the off forums for that crap.

SNIP

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    [mod edit]

well this is not "my shit" i have no idea who the guys talking are.  but the way Paragus describes his in'game historical account got me more interested in DF:UW.  i thought that maybe those still on the fence might get something out of this podcast.  as i found it to be a very interesting listen. 

I'm a bit confused whats going on. I actually just used this to sell the game to a couple of friends. Is it because its talking about a person that you guys were enemy clan members to or something? It just seems like a wicked way of giving the real sense of old style mmorpging at your best..

SNIP

Originally posted by kanechart
    I'm a bit confused whats going on. I actually just used this to sell the game to a couple of friends. Is it because its talking about a person that you guys were enemy clan members to or something? It just seems like a wicked way of giving the real sense of old style mmorpging at your best..

not sure about others.  but,  if my play experience is 1/4 what this guys was.  it will be the most epic game i ever play.

p.s.  don;t kill me on launch day.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I'm still looking forward to it.  And I really like what this guy has to say so far.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Path of Exile... Free to play, and better combat ;)

Not really a full on MMORPG as most see it, but yeah.... oh well

• shadowmonkeshadowmonke Member Posts: 48
    [mod edit]

I don't know what the issue is? First off hes trying help make peoples minds about getting the game or not... Second whats wrong with advertising DF releated stuff?

Make it even worse it has no advertising no links just to a damn clean blank podcast player.

Stop trying push away the new players viewing these forums. Go to the off forums for that crap.

the podcast essentially talks a lot about nothing and is not useful in any way

there are a lot better ways of getting people interested

i cannot see this podcast persuading anyone of anything

-user whose post was deleted by a mod that probably has something invested in the podcast, shady shit

[mod edit]

-user whose post was deleted by a mod that probably has something invested in the podcast, shady shit

I assume you were a player. For someone who was not really a player and did not play at launch. Hearing about some stories and his experince and what happen including some the funny RP elements was actually a really big hype for me. that 47min to 1 hour+ was really good information and listening about this warhulks was pretty damn cool. Also some advice on the launch and such really seems useful. I guess your just bias because you played and know everything about the game. But your sure spitting on new users who are looking for more information. You only see crappy pvp duals on youtube. To get a understanding of what kind of events had folded overtime was amazing to listen too.

SNIP

[mod edit]

it's crazy your first post in this thread was deleted.  i don't remember what it said but i don't think it deserved deletion.  this podcast though gives a good insight to the amount of polotics the player created factions create.  and that might intrigue some people.  it intrigued me.  and that's why i linked it.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Painlezz

DF:UW won't isn't much an MMORPG either.   Remember it is all about the FPPvP. ( fast paced pvp )

++++++++

I don't really understand what the OP is trying to highlight.  If someone had never played WOW and another person was describing all their highlight events in the game, then that person would probably think it is the greatest game ever too.  It was  enjoyable to listen too, but if you followed any of the things he talked about, then you would know it wasn't so rose-tinted. 

My point is you need to look at the facts:

- Only known information on DUW is descriptions given by developers that use their words convienently.

- Only videos of DUW are silly, vague introduction videos that leave players speculating.

- No stress test of server software build.   

In reality you just sold your friends on purchasing an uninformed, untested,  and ambiguously developed game.  

Originally posted by thinktank001

DF:UW won't isn't much an MMORPG either.   Remember it is all about the FPPvP. ( fast paced pvp )

++++++++

I don't really understand what the OP is trying to highlight.  If someone had never played WOW and another person was describing all their highlight events in the game, then that person would probably think it is the greatest game ever too.  It was  enjoyable to listen too, but if you followed any of the things he talked about, then you would know it wasn't so rose-tinted. 

My point is you need to look at the facts:

- Only known information on DUW is descriptions given by developers that use their words convienently.

- Only videos of DUW are silly, vague introduction videos that leave players speculating.

- No stress test of server software build.   

In reality you just sold your friends on purchasing an uninformed, untested,  and ambiguously developed game.  

well the thread title clearly asks  "On the fence?"  it's for those who have looked into dfuw and more insight into how deep the game can be.  the facts you state are the same as any other game.  videos and dev blogs.  no one really knows if they will like a game until  they try it.  the podcast i linked helped me decide that i might be something i will enjoy.   im not trying to highlight anything.  im trying to give other people who may be/have been,  on the fence like me about wether or not to give this game a shot,  more info. 

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Is there still going to be figure 8 danceing for melee pvp and macro's for everything?
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Is there still going to be figure 8 danceing for melee pvp and macro's for everything?

Their PvP video on youtube shows it alive and well.   Although you can always hope that the momentum they implemented was turned up a notch or two.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Yes.

Unless this game is using third person view action rpg combat system[think god of war, darksiders, etc etc] then the combat will be some bland mount and blade style of taking a step back and forward hitting the opponent, jumping like stupid to hit more, strafing like crazy, etc.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Can anyone link me the latest Darkfall 2 Beta video of real players ( not dev ) doing pvp in game?

I still don't get it, how is this game will be good since I cannot find any videos of any real time players pvp.

Show me the video so I will get hype up too.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by xmenty

Can anyone link me the latest Darkfall 2 Beta video of real players ( not dev ) doing pvp in game?

I still don't get it, how is this game will be good since I cannot find any videos of any real time players pvp.

There isn't a beta. There isn't really a need for beta since the server architecture and many of the core game mechanics (how they work) were tested by DFO

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

i really enjoy PoE but that you compare these two games and even say that it is not an MMORPG shows that you have no clue about gaming and you shouldnt play any game.

Shocking news for you guys, they dont advertise because they want there old fanbase ( the fanboys) back, fix the first balancing issues and bugs and take off later with a steam release. A Dev pretty much described this.

The hype is build up by the community alone and that shows how fun the game was and how different it was because there is no fucking other game and darkfall wILL ruin every other game for you

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by xpiher

There isn't a beta. There isn't really a need for beta since the server architecture and many of the core game mechanics (how they work) were tested by DFO

Why isnt there a need if this is a new game ? Lot of  DF supporter claim how the core ofthe game has been reworked from scratch ?

Here we go again whenever Tasos and his lemmings fits them they tell everyone how of anew game it is but for some reason nothing much has changed from the old one so no need to be tested.

Tork Shaw who is developing Darkfall has said in hisblog that the game couldnt be tested properly cause of lack of Beta.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Why isnt there a need if this is a new game ? Lot of  DF supporter claim how the core ofthe game has been reworked from scratch ?

Here we go again whenever Tasos and his lemmings fits them they tell everyone how of anew game it is but for some reason nothing much has changed from the old one so no need to be tested.

Tork Shaw who is developing Darkfall has said in hisblog that the game couldnt be tested properly cause of lack of Beta.

This is true tbh. It can't be tested that well. I assume they ran some engine stress tests and such but I doubt they could find and produce and fix every last bug that game from the game. Its sad but clearly they had 2 years to really improve the engine idk why people think its a new engine its just a heavy update to it. Anyways yeah there is going be a shitty couple weeks fixing certian bugs.

It happens but oh well. Games like this betas can actually also ruin the gun a bit.

SNIP

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I would say this quote deserves it's own Iraqi Information Minister photoshop. Any takers?

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Flex1

Yes.

Unless this game is using third person view action rpg combat system[think god of war, darksiders, etc etc] then the combat will be some bland mount and blade style of taking a step back and forward hitting the opponent, jumping like stupid to hit more, strafing like crazy, etc.

Sounds like someone was horrible at DF1 combat and hasn't gotten over it yet..

DF1 combat was way beyond any other MMORPG on the market, nothing else comes even close. Of course those of you who sucked at it are never gonna admit this but w/e.

And from the looks of it combat in UW will be even better, with removal of hybrid everythings and a better UI, no need for macros anymore. Also momentum should have an effect on making melee less chaotic.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

There are a lot of people who are stupid.  They did not "re-develop from scratch."  They updated the existing code with features inteneded for an "expansion" but decided to re-relase the game.  A stress teest wasn't really needed.

However, there will be balance issues since the new rules have not been tested in an open beta.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by muffins89

This pushed me over the edge.

Don't jump!  Don't jump!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by BuniontToes

There are a lot of people who are stupid.  They did not "re-develop from scratch."  They updated the existing code with features inteneded for an "expansion" but decided to re-relase the game.  A stress teest wasn't really needed.

However, there will be balance issues since the new rules have not been tested in an open beta.

Ok  for future references to what you said here because you think you beiong so damn smart. 

According to your claim AV didn't worked on their engine to add funtionality to the game so they dont needto beta test "the changes" because there haven't be any technical ones basically.

They release the game with the same capabilities and the same core  like the old one and just put a marketing stance with calling all that a  "new game" instead of a  a patch / expansion .

Ok lets wait and see for the next obne who will call it a new game ...(Tasos does it)

Also what you think about this quote from Darkfall dev Tork Shaw who got silenced after he made it by AV ?

"My main concern has been the speed at which we have had to work to get where we are by this time. There is A LOT of balancing that you would ideally like to do in a beta release that we are struggling to manage in the short time period. "

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529
    Originally posted by BuniontToes

Ok  for future references to what you said here because you think you beiong so damn smart. 

According to your claim AV didn't worked on their engine to add funtionality to the game so they dont needto beta test "the changes" because there haven't be any technical ones basically.

They release the game with the same capabilities and the same core  like the old one and just put a marketing stance with calling all that a  "new game" instead of a  a patch / expansion .

Ok lets wait and see for the next obne who will call it a new game ...(Tasos does it)

New features...yes  (updated graphics, changes to skillset, updated audio, new UI overlay, etc)

Re-written game engine which took 3 years to write....no. 

You still swing and hit the same.  You still build cities the same way.  You still shoot spells the same way.  You still move  the same.  The game engine still communicates the same way. 

The game engine may  have some new features but nothing major has changed.  Everyone had beegine before, now it is restricted to certain "roles." 

Does it impact gameplay? yes

Is it new capability added to the engine? No.