Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Does voice acting make the game better?

We all have either played or at least heard of the debacle of the massive amount of voice acting in swtor and how that went down with the community but is it such a terrible idea to have that kind of voice acting and cut scenes in Mmorpg's?

Id like to hear the opinions of the community on this specifically what went right and wrong.

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

no

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    For an important storyline, like your class quests in SWTOR, then I would say yes.  For the more mundane and generic quests, I would say no.  Text only would be fine for those.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Seeing that this forum is mostly 'pro-sandbox' I expect your poll to say 'No'.

A good VA enchances the game experience a lot so in that sense it is 'better'.

Whether it makes it 'better' for all players is another issue.

Obvilion had absolutly godawful VA (actually all ES series does). Will having some competent VAs behind all of their NPCs make the series 'better'? Sure it will.

Is it worth the cost / time? That is a personal call.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Used sparingly, and when it's well written it can be great.  TSW has some of the funniest and best cut scenes I've seen.  But I wouldn't want them on every mission.
  • Sytek_88Sytek_88 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Personally i dont believe it makes a game better especially when the ENTIRE game is voiced over, For me i prefer the main storyline voice acted and maybe important side quests. (Speaking for MMORPG's that is) 
  • AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    For an important storyline, like your class quests in SWTOR, then I would say yes.  For the more mundane and generic quests, I would say no.  Text only would be fine for those.

That echos my sentiments of what bioware should have done with the game. The generic quests had no business having voice acting and after doing a flashpoint and watching the same cut scene and voice acting the second time was idiotic.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Used sparingly, it's fine.  But don't overdo it.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Voice acting in an MMO is not needed.  Over-use actually hinders future development since it's expensive and time consuming to implement.  Age of Wushu doesn't have any and it's not missed at all.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

It isn't such a black and white answer.  Voice acting can improve upon the story as one doesn't have to read every text in order to understand whats going on and thus makes the games story a bit more immersive.  However it does not mean it can make up for shallow or piss poor stories.  SWTOR went way overkill for every single damn thing being a cutscene.  They should have kept it to the class story lines or like in GW2 it was strictly with dungeons and personal stories.

EAWare did a great thing with the whole dialogue options in groups and really all MMOs should try to emulate.  Vocie actiong needs to be done in moderation.

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    I think that full voice acting sounds good on paper, but gets old in practice. In important movies/cutscenes voice acting kind of makes them feel more epic, while if you get them for every quest then it's just "meh."
    Originally posted by Ambros123

It isn't such a black and white answer.  Voice acting can improve upon the story as one doesn't have to read every text in order to understand whats going on and thus makes the games story a bit more immersive.  However it does not mean it can make up for shallow or piss poor stories.  SWTOR went way overkill for every single damn thing being a cutscene.  They should have kept it to the class story lines or like in GW2 it was strictly with dungeons and personal stories.

EAWare did a great thing with the whole dialogue options in groups and really all MMOs should try to emulate.  Vocie actiong needs to be done in moderation.

The wheel was ridiculous IMO but my main grievance was the generic quest voice acting. I always enjoyed the class specific scenes but would've liked some to be a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of having to choose 4-5 wheels worth of opinions simply to have the npc tell me to go to Voss.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Its all about numbers. finding the right balance, The main reason i liked TSW. Quests that need minimal explaining have no video. those that have more and will tie into the atmosphere get a video. the story line gets a extensive assortment of videos.

This is different from SWTOR because in SWTOR every mission has atleast 2 or 3 videos.

The other difference was the quality of voice acting. In TSW every character you meet has their own personality, has their own like dislikes and manurisms.

In SWTOR every character Felt like a stock character.

Stock Jedi 1-5 Stock Sith 1-5 Rince Repeat Print.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

If done right, yes. A good example is SWTOR.

If done badly, no. A good example is GW2.

Of course, the above is my opinion.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Voice acting is fine if they actually hire people who can, ya know act, insted of just flatly read lines off a script like in most videogames, especally ones from japan like jrpgs, where they totally butcher the hell out of the characters most of the time. There were a few decent dubs on ps2/psp, but most otherwise were complete trash. I say if they aren't going to really try just leave it in its native language and just add some subtitles, would actually save the company bringing it here money since they don't need to hire VA's who suck ass anyway. Then again for me, I can understand a little japanese when its spoken, or actually quite a bit of spoken japanese, and it really irks me when they just totally translated what was said wrong. If you play any Visual novels especally ones from Mangagamer they do this alot, where the translated text in no way is even remotely simmlar to what they actually said. With every console these days having a HDD, I really don't see why they cannot offer a free download to put in the games orignal language (usually japanese) for the voice overs. Its kinda why I like Nis America so much, they usually include both voice over tracks in their games... Mind you with the graphics of most Nis published games they have more than enough spare space.

Anyway I kinda went on a little rant there, all in all I don't mind voice overs in a language other than the game orignally came in as long as they VA's actually tried to ya know.. act, sadly they rarely do.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    It can enhance the atmosphere but at the same time, it can be more disruptive then engage if done wrong. If your not going to do voice acting right, then don't do it at all.
    Originally posted by Draron

Glad to hear your opinion and if you like the job in swtor there's nothing wrong with enjoying it.

All reasonable opinions are valid and welcome even if they are opposite my own.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    If the VO and writing quality are good, then they can be great features (SWtOR).  If the quality and writing is bad, then it just seems superfluous (GW2).

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Axehandle
    Originally posted by Ambros123

The wheel was ridiculous IMO but my main grievance was the generic quest voice acting. I always enjoyed the class specific scenes but would've liked some to be a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of having to choose 4-5 wheels worth of opinions simply to have the npc tell me to go to Voss.

Or worse, 4-5 wheels only for them to tell you to deliver an item to a guy like 30 meters away from him. Yeah I got an issue with quest based mmo's because most of the quests are completly pointless, and they have all this writing for a quest that bascally ends up being "go kill 5 rabbits" or something. I mean, I don't need your life story npc before you ask me to kill like 5 rabbits, just tell me what you need so I can get on with it. In WoW back when I played it years back, I never read quests because to be frank I didn''t give 2 shits about why said npc needs me to kill 6 pigs. If its the mmo's MAIN story quest I may take the time to read it if its interesting after I quickly skim thru it, but for any side quests I don't bother, because you rnever going to interact with that npc again.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I have long since quit playing games with sound on, so its really poinltess in my opinion to waste resources on voice acting.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Glad to hear your opinion and if you like the job in swtor there's nothing wrong with enjoying it.

Yea, I wish most forum users would think the same as you. Giving props to SWTOR on these boards is like walking on eggshells.

Originally posted by asmkm22
    If the VO and writing quality are good, then they can be great features (SWtOR).  If the quality and writing is bad, then it just seems superfluous (GW2).

hahaha yeah I beta tested gw2 and that had to be some of the worse voice acting/over's I have seen in a long time. It was so bad it was funny.

or

Yea, I wish most forum users would think the same as you. Giving props to SWTOR on these boards is like walking on eggshells.

More like walking on a landmine that you hope was not armed (But they usually are). If you avoid the land mine watch out for the pitfall trap filled with mutiple mines nearby.

or

Well I added a poll and asked for opinion so whether or not I agree with them is irrelevent so long as they are reasonable. If its just vitrol spewing out of someone with no rhyme or reason I find it hard to take those opinions too seriously but they are still valid.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Voice acting is so hit and miss. More times than not, it does not match what my mind thinks of before they start talking. Voice acting for my character is a definite no-no.

Overall, I voted no.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I didn't vote because the Poll is stupid...

"Yes it's the best thing ever"

"No it's terrible"

The two options you give are just bad.  Yes, voice acting makes a game better.  Obviously.  Anyone who diagrees is full of it.  Now, is that enough to make a game good?  Not even close.  Look at SWTOR, tons of voice acting and beyond the singleplayer story the game was pretty boring.