Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WOW was released now would it be as successful ?

2»

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

WoW would'nt be WoW if released today.

We would be calling it today another 'Evercrack Clone' if released today.Even though it is a EQ Clone on steroids.

WoW changed alot for mmorpg's and for people that are playing them now, it's pretty much the benchmark on what players look for in a mmorpg today (sadly me being part of the Evercrack Generation).

But if sure would be interesting in WoW never existed, think about that one and how mmorpg's would be different today.

Not to derail the thread, but I believe we would still have Star Wars Galaxies amoung many other still around.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    yes i was genuiinly interested. but dont forget wow pinched most of its ideas from EQ :)

And just about every game after it.

and then every game copies WoW. So I guess the only credit can go to the very first games, because the original ideas were done then (even if implementation and execution of those ideas are better). 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Derros
    It depends on what we mean by "Now", now as in a game thats very similar in gameplay to several previous games (post wow MMO market),  or now as in WoW never having been released and thus no real casual friendly games like it having existed?

Very good question.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    yes i was genuiinly interested. but dont forget wow pinched most of its ideas from EQ :)

no, it did not.

WoW and EQ share genre similarities.  Outside of both games placing a strong emphasis on game world/lore (one of the big keys to their successes), they share little in common outside of those genre similarities.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    They would have released an MMO with group finders

the interesting question is this:

would group finders exist without wow inventing them?

• njainjai Member Posts: 77
    A lot of its "competition" wouldn't have existed if WoW wasn't made 10 years ago so yeah it would be succesful. Bnet, Warcraft and Blizzard fanbase is too good.

Darkfall for now.

Quit bashing games YOU don't like! Including WoW, you know you liked it before you got burned out.

http://live.xbox.com/member/Njai

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    No.  See my sig.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    The OP doesn't give sufficient background to the hypothetical situation in question. What sort of MM slO market are we looking at in this scenario? It is hard to say. One thing is for sure, Blizzard/Activision isn't half as innovative or passionate as Blizzard was prior to 2008.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Double post bug ftl.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by grimal
    No.  See my sig.

That's a hell of a sig.

Completely sums up my thoughts on WOW's timing and success in one tight little nutshell.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Before we answer what WoW would be like if it released today we have to first answer the question: what would the MMO genre be like today without WoW?

WoW has influenced nearly every major MMO release since it came out and even many MMOs that was released before WoW.

Without WoW as the genre leader a different MMO would have taken its place as the MMO to be emulated. That would have likely been EQ2.

So, for the past 8 years nearly all MMOs would have copied EQ2. But without WoWs influence on EQ2(and there was a lot) we dont know what direction SOE would have taken EQ2 so therefor we dont know what the MMO genre would be like today in a world without WoW.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Vanilla WOW would be to hardcore for todays gamers. That is what made it successful at launch.

Vanilla WoW was cake for former EQ players:

A. no death penalty

b. could solo easily and mobs 4-5 levels above your character

c. raids were smaller

d. former eq players actually understood concepts like single pulling and crowd control

I think WoW would do just fine today but everyone would be calling it a Rift clone (Of course Rift wouldnt exist if it was for copyuing and pasting WoW though)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

If it would be released with its current graphics and gameplay.

No. It would totally bomb.

Actually there are P2P games now that are better (all considering)

Only thing WOW would have for itself is size of the content. If it would be released with same content size as at its original release. It would be total dud.

You have to understand. WOW was a perfect storm. There was nothing like that when it released. And it was polished , run on most of PCs and had great brand name and hype behind it.

To have same impact today you would have to release something like HALO the MMO , or WOD with all its advanced graphic and sandbox elements.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

If WoW was released now and in its current state, no I don't think it would succeed. Have to bare in mind that if WoW wasn't released when it was, we might have had some decent MMO's on the market.  WoW's success has  left a trail of under par MMO's trying to follow in Blizzards footsteps, If other developers stopped trying to make a quick buck and actually created something with passion and believed in their own capabilities then we might have had something fresh and exciting to play.

Anet tried and it was good for a time, but their obsesion on trying to control the market and trying to push players into buying gems is diverting their attention from what they actually should be doing.  I don't find running the same dungeon a few hundred times to get one armour piece fun.

If developers need to look at games for insperation then they should be looking back at  UO, EQ and FFXI, not WoW.  They cant please all the people all the time, I'd rather see a niche game than a game that tries to please the masses.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

if wow would be released today with the content it had in vanilla and didnt have upgraded gfx it would fail EPIC.

• SeiTieSSeiTieS Member Posts: 21
    yes but i think the playerbase won't be that much compared nowadays