Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to the feeling?

13»

Comments

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Axehandle

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience. 

I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

You don't get to lose your virginity twice.

Bringing it a different girl doesn't make it all new again.

Obviously you've never had sex with more than 1 girl. The enjoyment is vastly different and I'd recommend  you try it sometimes.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Vayman

That's why I don't like levels. My first MMO was SWG pre-CU. Since there were no levels, coupled with the system that allowed me to constantly unlearn/learn skills as I pleased, I never felt like I was finished. There was always something new to try, something new to do.I want that feeling back.

Age Of Wushu, no level or classes and all the best items in the game are player made. FFA sandbox MMO based on feudal China, no elves or dwarfs or oversized weapons in Age Of Wushu. Offline feature that allows your toon to stay in the game after you have logged off. You can man your stall or do chores for your faction, this comes with risks, you can be kidnaped by PKs and sold into slavery for another faction but they will have a bounty on them. If they build up to much crime points they can be sent to prison for up to 24 hours or have a public execution which also effects them for 24 hours.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience. 

I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

Obviously you've never had sex with more than 1 girl. The enjoyment is vastly different and I'd recommend  you try it sometimes.

It is, indeed, vastly different.  Not the same.

Was that not what you were complaining about?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

It's not just the leveling speed.  The journey has to be fun as well.  For example, FFXI took a long time to hit max, heck I never did.  But there were certain milestones along the way that helped with that journey and made each level feel like an accomplishment.  

Then I go play a game like EQ2 and for me, it took a very long time to hit cap and I hated the journey due to how each zone felt exactly like the one before it but with a different skin and hitting cap felt anti climactic.   I just wanted it to be over.

Then there is GW2 where the journey was fun and hitting cap was cool but then I was like...ok now what because I had nothing to look forward to AFTER cap which is another issue as well, lack of longevity.

So basically, this is very dependant on many factors and each game should be approached differently in respect to "the feeling".  But that's one reason I love this genre.  So many options and factors make each game diverse, or should.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

It is, indeed, vastly different.  Not the same.

Was that not what you were complaining about?

No what I complained about is the enjoyment I felt. Obviously to use your sex analogy it would be having great sex vs bad sex. Thats not to say you cannot have great sex with 2 different girls. Get it?

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

Hi everybody, It took me over three years to reach level fifty on EQ1. I was so focused on staying alive and meeting friends reaching level cap was just something that you never thought about. And some levels took longer then others remember level thirty:) 

I guess my point is with the games now of days( in my own opion) is you know almost from the moment you step into the game what it will take to reach max level. Everything is about balance now, nobody cared as a necro you could crush any mob in sight. But could I leed a group down a dugeun and keep them alive like a warrior no. I feel pve games have been hurt with pvp balance and pvp games have been hurt with pve balances.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Theres no reason to be a dick. His opinion is just as valid as you old school EQ fanboys. His sense of accomplishment is no different then yours.

Except that he and many others that supported WoW are now wishing for longer levelling times when their support of WoW in the first place is what reduced levelling times to the ADHD durations they are now.

Dick? Truth.

No just a dick. 

Im sure you're reasonable and probably quiet in real life. That's the Internet for you it creates "badasses"

Your thread has left you behind, kid.

You shouldn't get so defensive just because there are people who know more, have experienced more than you.

It's always going to be the case.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

No what I complained about is the enjoyment I felt. Obviously to use your sex analogy it would be having great sex vs bad sex. Thats not to say you cannot have great sex with 2 different girls. Get it?

You complained that you couldn't recover the same "feeling" you had for, say, Jane.

You could go with Shiela, instead, but it just isn't the same,  Shiela is vastly different.  Even if Shiela was almost identical, you won't feel the same with her--you won't, you can't, she is not your first (Jane was)...

Rather than enjoy the differences, you get angry at Shiela for not doing the impossible and making you feel just like Jane did. 

Seems to be an interrupt in this thought process, somewhere.

Do you want to play different games, or the same game over and over?

Careful what you answer: An infinite number of Clones lies in one of those two directions.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

If we are talking Vanilla WoW then I understand. I played FFXI before WoW and both were challenging, but FFXI was crazy silly at the leveling pace. The storyline part of the game (FFXI) was so far apart that all you did was grind for a level or 2 a night for weeks sometimes before you got more of the story. When I joined in WoW with a few friends it was a nice change. The quests were funny and there was a lot of story while you leveled. Vanilla WoW was much fun and challenging to play. Now if I went back to WoW I could go from 1-25 in a day easy and max level in like a month.... so the leveling pace does matter. 

As for this gamer I look to the future...... ElderScrollsOnline.....Neverwinter....."Insert title here"... something will come along that will grab me by the boot straps and knock me over. 'Til then I wander from game to game. A little GW2, a little Skyrim, a little Rift, and some classic RPGing to tide me over.

Keep on keeping on!

• SeiTieSSeiTieS Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by xDrac

I feel like leveling in most games should be much, much slower...

Lineage II will always stay the best MMO for me.

same here.. i'm just waiting for blade and soul to be release internationally.. maybe it will surpass my obsession to L2 xD

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

Until class's feel unique again and players rolls mean something, and you can't eat through all content in two or three weeks then it will fill empty. Again this is only my opinion.

Guild Wars2 is a good example, I like the game its fun and has lots of bells and whistles.  But please there is a portal in each city that takes you to a place that allows you to port right into each starting city. Where is the excitment of stumbling on a diffrent race's home? I can pan out on the map with in acouple of hours and zip all over the world. This isn't to single out GW2 but it seems to be they way things are going:(