Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turn based MMO...Could it work?

After watching This Week In MMO Ep124. Pokket made comment about a turn based mmo would be interesting. I thought about and reminisced the FF days of old. Then I thought to myself...it may just work.

Do you think it work?

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Atlantica online has turned base combat, but for the entire gams? No, would be very boring.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    There are a couple MMORPG games that actually have turn based combat. Atlantica is a very Final fantasy 10 ish turn based style, but I'm almost positive it has time limits (I haven't played in a while). Also Wakfu and dofus are entirely turn based in combat, but more like final fantasy tactics.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Atlantica online has turned base combat, but for the entire gams? No, would be very boring.

Well a MMO could work. A massive civ like game or something could possible work. A MMORPG turn based....nah.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    atlantica is the best example of a turn based mmo game and has a very good cash shop where bonuses are removed from pvp so its not as easy to pay2win outside of quicker lvling and lvls > skill.  There is also dofus for smaller scale turn based combat but I would recomend trying atlantica its a great game can def get some enjoyment out of it for a good length of time I myself got many many hours out of atlantica.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Acutally, most MMO's ARE turn based. The combat is based upon "cycles" of a given time period. What that can mean is that you are allow to take an action during that "cycle" if you have an action available to you. If you fail to take an action or you have none availible to you, then you are out of luck for that cycle. The thing is that your opponent, be they real or AI, also can perform an action during that cycle so it make for same turn actions.  The cycles are always shared by everyone so as to level the playing field. There is almost no instance of "real-time" combat in MMO's. There are exceptions but they are few.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gruug

Acutally, most MMO's ARE turn based. The combat is based upon "cycles" of a given time period. What that can mean is that you are allow to take an action during that "cycle" if you have an action available to you. If you fail to take an action or you have none availible to you, then you are out of luck for that cycle. The thing is that your opponent, be they real or AI, also can perform an action during that cycle so it make for same turn actions.  The cycles are always shared by everyone so as to level the playing field. There is almost no instance of "real-time" combat in MMO's. There are exceptions but they are few.

You're either being obtuse or you misunderstand what turn-based means. Turn-based means one player goes than the other. Yes, there are cycles in real-time but both players are making gameplay decisions simultaneously.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Atlancia Online has been mentioned. That game, especially the PVP, was a blast IMO. It's just unfortunate that the grind factor in that game was insane.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Ask FFXIV or whatever it is, the videos I've seen of that game all have turn based combat a big turn off for me.
  • AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Neverwinter Nights on AoL from the 90's had turn based combat based on the SSI Gold Box series.

Each player had a timer.  I forget how much time, though,  It worked, but could get frustrating when a player would take too long or go AFK and everyone else had to sit through the timer.  Overall, i liked it and would play it again. 

It had a semi-isometric tactical view.  

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Worked for Atlantica, Wizard101, Dofus, and Wakfu. Probably others I don't know of. I think it's a great system when done right, obviously.