Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Donation Goal almost Met to unlock new content being worked on.

deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

http://www.mortalonline.com/donations

the grey halls seems to be a mini expansion to MO that will only get added to the game once they recieve x number of donations.

Its supposedly not slowing down the developers by developing this content alongside other features but i just cant see how with only 3 developers making anything that isnt essential wont slow down development. Unless of course the content was almost fully complete being left over from the awakening expansion and through donations they seen a chance to increase their funds by pursuading their already loyal playerbase into parting with more money.

http://www.mortalonline.com/donations/greyhalls this link is what the donators have to go on to determine if they should donate. Not very much at all.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Comments

• mothefomothefo Member Posts: 30

wait so this game has just gone F2P, and now it's asking people to pre-pay if they want a chance to get new content? not even guaranteed content....."if we get enough money content", otherwise thanks for the donation......

that is hysterical.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    well the content will be accesable to all even if you didnt donate, but it is abit much asking for donations for content to be added when the game seriously needs both content and bug fixing/polishing.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

How can it not be slowing down the other development? ie FIXING the game

• w4ffl3w4ffl3 Member Posts: 36
    Wow, it went from needing $974 to funded in one day... and it looks like it's all from Aralis' donation.  Dude was on the top of the rankings last month too, with a $2500 donation, he must have a lot of money, and be willing to throw it away.  Man, I  can overpromise and underdeliver just like Henrik, why not toss me a few grand :P
  • argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Hancakes

How can it not be slowing down the other development? ie FIXING the game

My dear friend Hancakes, if i had a beautiful sister i would be happy to give her to you. This one made my day image!

Originally posted by w4ffl3
    Wow, it went from needing $974 to funded in one day... and it looks like it's all from Aralis' donation.  Dude was on the top of the rankings last month too, with a $2500 donation, he must have a lot of money, and be willing to throw it away.  Man, I  can overpromise and underdeliver just like Henrik, why not toss me a few grand :P

Did you model underwear? image

• w4ffl3w4ffl3 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by w4ffl3

Did you model underwear? image

HEH

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by deathshroud

http://www.mortalonline.com/donations/greyhalls this link is what the donators have to go on to determine if they should donate. Not very much at all.

Here's some more info by one of the devs:

https://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/the-grey-halls-questions.80908/page-2#post-1395674

https://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/the-grey-halls-questions.80908/page-4#post-1395799

I think it's great they are doing this. It allows the game to grow faster; no one is forced to donate and everyone will benefit.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

So they will use the funds to pay a modeler to create some new monsters for the game? seems sound enough.

seems like the models have already been finished and he has given SV a bill of 1k for the lot, using donations they hope to get the community to pay for the content.

Originally posted by BigMango

I think it's great they are doing this. It allows the game to grow faster; no one is forced to donate and everyone will benefit.

What's great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?

What's great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?

No, you don't understand.

Players are asking for features in all of the AAA mmorpgs. They will never get them. With MO it's possible.

Of course in a perfect world the devs would make everything with the subscriptions. But this dream world of yours doesn't exist. Even the well funded AAA companies with dozens if not hundreds of millions can't make it (look at SWTOR for 1 example).

You don't have to pay for anything if you don't want.

It only allows the players who like the game to make a donation to get some proposed or asked for features faster into the game. SV did this because many players asked for it on the forums. So, as you can see, they are responding to what many of the players asked for.

Without the donations we would not get these features. So for me, getting features ingame is better than not getting them. Period.

For you, as you don't agree with donating, it will only make the game better than if donations didn't exist. This is a win-win situation for everyone.

Players are asking for features in all of the AAA mmorpgs. They will never get them. With MO it's possible.

Of course in a perfect world the devs would make everything with the subscriptions. But this dream world of yours doesn't exist. Even the well funded AAA companies with dozens if not hundreds of millions can't make it (look at SWTOR for 1 example).

It only allows the players who like the game to make a donation to get some proposed or asked for features faster into the game. SV did this because many players asked for it on the forums. So, as you can see, they are responding to what many of the players asked for.

Without the donations we would not get these features. So for me, getting features ingame is better than not getting them. Period.

For you, as you don't agree with donating, it will only make the game better than if donations didn't exist. This is a win-win situation for everyone.

Reworking models isnt a feature and sadly that was one of the only things SV could do.

Reworking models isnt a feature and sadly that was one of the only things SV could do.

Yes, but as they say this is the 1st donation and more is to come. They are looking at the best ways for us to get things in the game quickly without hurting the normal development sheddule.

Anyway if people aren't interested donations will stop, so so far getting content ingame is a win-win situation nonetheless.

Yes, but as they say this is the 1st donation and more is to come. They are looking at the best ways for us to get things in the game quickly without hurting the normal development sheddule.

Perhaps next they'll charge for faster bug fixing, that would be worthy a donation. image They are looking for ways to sucker people into paying extra for normal development or things promised years ago.  Enjoy  

Its not like SV didnt have staff or money in the past 2.5 years and we all know how that turned out.  They paid this guy a whopping $1000?  Whats is that, a weeks worth of work?

Also, they've BEEN using this guy, just now that want you to pay him.

The contracted artist have worked with us before and have gotten us very good content in the past.
    Models etc are somewhat done from the artist, but as most other artists he needs to eat and have given us the more then fair price of 1K for the whole bundle of mobs.

Perhaps next they'll charge for faster bug fixing, that would be worthy a donation.

Yes it would.

They are looking for ways to sucker people into paying extra for normal development or things promised years ago.  Enjoy  

No, they obviously can't do more with the ressources they have and now they are only listening to the players by doing what many players asked for on the forums: donations to pay for game improvments.

As far as I'm concerend, getting something I want to pay for is better than getting nothing.

But I guess as you are looking at it, any vendor and anyone selling you something is looking for some way to sucker you into spending your money. I guess you are enjoying your life, haha.

Perhaps next they'll charge for faster bug fixing, that would be worthy a donation.

Yes it would.

They are looking for ways to sucker people into paying extra for normal development or things promised years ago.  Enjoy  

No, they are only listening to the players by doing what many players asked for on the forums: donations to pay for game improvments.

As far as I'm concerend, getting something I want to pay for is better than getting nothing.

But I guess as you are looking at it, any vendor and anyone selling you something is looking for some way to sucker you into spending your money. I guess you are enjoying your life, haha.

The player base had been getting his services for free. image

Also, they've BEEN using this guy, just now that want you to pay him.

The contracted artist have worked with us before and have gotten us very good content in the past.
    Models etc are somewhat done from the artist, but as most other artists he needs to eat and have given us the more then fair price of 1K for the whole bundle of mobs.

Yes, fortunately for us, they don't have to train a new person which would make us wait perhaps several months longer.

This means that we'll get the new content in game faster. Win-win again.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
     great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?

WHAHAHAHAHA you know there is this hot thing called kickstarter? It's kinda to late to set a bad precedent ;)

The player base had been getting his services for free.

Yes, but now they had to cut staff as they don't have the funds anymore. You can image as much as you want, when there's no money ...there's no money.

Anyway, they said what he's doing for the donation is extra work outside of normal planned development scheddule. So even if they had cash to pay him he would be working on something else planned in the development scheddule.

Again, I prefer to get something I am ready to pay for than getting nothing. And even getting something I don't want to pay for, but if it interests other people I'd be getting it for free interests me as well.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Fact of the matter is...at some point aralis and dorky diphrael will stop donating a grand at a time and there goes that...
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    that money would be better used by the Xsyon Dev's tbh. atleast they fix problems and use there own engine 
    Originally posted by Coman
     great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?

WHAHAHAHAHA you know there is this hot thing called kickstarter? It's kinda to late to set a bad precedent ;)

Yep, with all of the games getting cash shops.

At least with donations everyone gets the content, even the people who don't donate. image

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I feel bad for the people(if any) who may have bought the emperor package.

They must have serious mental health issues.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

So in essence MO now has the ultimate Cash Shop, except in this one they are offering the players a Developer to do your bidding, so long as the price is met, and so long as it's what the Devs themselves tell you they are going to make, thats not a player choice now is it, your still having to swallow what the devs push out there, it will just be a coincidence that what they produce will be what some of the players actually wanted.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I feel bad for the people(if any) who may have bought the emperor package.

They must have serious mental health issues.

So do the people who buy expensive cars, homes, vacations.... ? Guess what? Some people are even going to casinos and they love it.

Not everyone loves good wine and is ready to pay for it. In the same way, the people who pay so much for MO obviously love this game and what the developers are doing with their limited resources.

But I guess people who don't love the things you do have serious mental health issues?