Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 soon 2013 where do you stand how you feel the years going by and the MMO market stagnated

2»

Comments

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I'm enjoying Guild Wars 2 a ton. Very fun an different type of Theme-park. Otherwise the genre is kinda bleh. Gw2 has re-instated my joy in the genre for now though.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Disco will never die!!

Butters!

Polka will never die!

Damn!  I honestly got that wrong....the style of it threw me for a second.   And i just read Cold Days.  Shame on me.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    i will enjoy Darkfall Unholy Wars in 2013, and same as when i played the prequel Darkfall Online i will be involved in major ingame politics and wars and wont have time for any other game
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    In another twelve days I'll be back in Age Of Wushu beta . A FFA sandbox MMO and before you log into the game it tells you that it's a pvp game and are you sure you want to proceed.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy, only a few dare to take another route and few of them did well (EvE for one)

So how do you feel about 2013 and onward do we get same old or do we really get something that hopefully get our craving back to play for months on end in the same game?

When the kids can stop comparing every game to Borecraft, the genre might have a better chance. Not every MMO has to succeed like Junkcraft. I agree with Eve. That is not a game for the borecraft kids, it requires thinking and risk. We can only hope for more games that require more input by the player; not things given to them without sacrifice. The lust of those sacred treasures and that seriously rare kill has been forgotten.

And to those that follow my post, I speak honestly on how Borecraft ruined what was. I'm not going to bash a game people like, I have my opinion of it and that is all. We have great technology on making great MMO'S. Rift and Tera both add to the Genre, regardless if people think they are too much like Junkcraft. The Secret World added something new too, however, kids hate puzzles. Yeah, I do need to leave those kids alone. Afterall, I should not judge anyone by what they play or like.

As far as the topic goes, we can only hope for some great MMO's.  Even if none come, there are still some good ones to play. (All in opinion of course).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy, only a few dare to take another route and few of them did well (EvE for one)

So how do you feel about 2013 and onward do we get same old or do we really get something that hopefully get our craving back to play for months on end in the same game?

You're seeing the same copy and not seeing the other routes because, for one reason or another, you reject them as they do not fit your criteria for a real MMO.  Massively multiplayer online gaming hasn't stagnated - it has passed you by.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by night_gamer
    I think golden age of mmos are over...

Welcome to 2003. That was the last MMO year I think anyone could call "Golden"

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    People need to realize that there isn't going to be some massive revolution in MMO gaming, and things are going to remain familiar so long as it's safe from a business perspective. I'm fine with more high quality themepark MMO's that do a few things differently and do them well. Maybe it's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm not looking for some "virtual world" to "inhabit." I don't need some miracle MMO to come out that totally changes the genre. I'm fine with paying $60 for a box and playing for a month and putting it down until I feel like playing again. People that think the genre is stagnant and dying are basically MMO hipsters. The truth is that MMO's are more popular now than they ever have been before.

There maybe more popular mmo's now a days but for some like me even if it's a niche game we want something long term and fun. Not a game thats being rehased over and over again. See the copy and paste of SwTor from WoW. Not saying SWtOr was a bad game just a game most people who played wow will quickly or who have quit playing the game for that very same reason. 

I've played countless MMO's FFXI, WoW, CoH, AoC, RoM, WaRHamm, Aion, Tera, SwtOr, GW2, Star Trek, FFXIV 1.0 & Alpha 2.0, and other ones. Out of all those I've played only WoW, FFXI, And Star Trek are the only MMo's to last longer past the First Month freebie! 

There is still innovative idea's out there to build an MMO on, you also don't have to completely scrap all past designs either. Build on what works best and go from there! Gear grinds aren't going to forever work or pointless pvp won't hold.

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Well, I got sucked in by GW2 for a bit. It was okay for a few months, but it was never a keeper.

In any case, World Of Darkness or ArcheAge for me. CCP has shown they can make a server architecture that doesn't completely suck and they seem to treat their customers pretty well.

As for ArcheAge, well, maybe it's a pipe dream but damn is it ever a good dream to have.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Yodi2007
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    People need to realize that there isn't going to be some massive revolution in MMO gaming, and things are going to remain familiar so long as it's safe from a business perspective. I'm fine with more high quality themepark MMO's that do a few things differently and do them well. Maybe it's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm not looking for some "virtual world" to "inhabit." I don't need some miracle MMO to come out that totally changes the genre. I'm fine with paying $60 for a box and playing for a month and putting it down until I feel like playing again. People that think the genre is stagnant and dying are basically MMO hipsters. The truth is that MMO's are more popular now than they ever have been before.

There maybe more popular mmo's now a days but for some like me even if it's a niche game we want something long term and fun. Not a game thats being rehased over and over again. See the copy and paste of SwTor from WoW. Not saying SWtOr was a bad game just a game most people who played wow will quickly or who have quit playing the game for that very same reason. 

I've played countless MMO's FFXI, WoW, CoH, AoC, RoM, WaRHamm, Aion, Tera, SwtOr, GW2, Star Trek, FFXIV 1.0 & Alpha 2.0, and other ones. Out of all those I've played only WoW, FFXI, And Star Trek are the only MMo's to last longer past the First Month freebie! 

There is still innovative idea's out there to build an MMO on, you also don't have to completely scrap all past designs either. Build on what works best and go from there! Gear grinds aren't going to forever work or pointless pvp won't hold.

These games aren't copied and pasted. The people who are constantly moaning about how every game is a clone of "insert themepark game here" are cynical bittervets and should probably step away from the genre for a bit. I know that's like just my opinion, man, but it's true from my perspective. You're (not anyone specifically) bored and burned out by the genre? Take a break. It's not rocket science. When you get that MMO itch, there are TONS of different games to choose from. I'd say it's a pretty good/exciting time to be an MMO gamer.

When I play WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR, Tera etc. I have a different experience in each because they all have their strong points. WoW has great instances. GW2 is awesome if I just want to pop in and do some exploration and partcipate in RvR. I can get my story fix from SWTOR. I get to play completely differently in Tera with their action combat. I don't see how any of them are clones. Yes, they all have questing, instances and PVP. Imagine that... games within the same genre (sub genre, even) have similarities. Who would have thought?

I get that people want innovation and gigantic leaps forward, but it's not going to happen. MMO's are slowly evolving. It's observable in the games that are being produced. You aren't going to see some massive paradigm shift in a year, two years, or even five years. That's now how things work in an industry where the product can cost 100's of millions of dollars, and you are at the mercy of an incredibly volatile core audience. There's a lot of disenfranchised MMO'ers out there that need to take a step back and think about what they're actually asking companies to do.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Right now the bar for success is really low do to many failures.  That does open the door a little bit to optimism as hopefully someone steps up to fill the void.  The long developement cycle though means it will probably be something we already know about, and the only two games that really excite me for mmos are Repopulation and Archeage.  Of course, GW2 could flesh it's feature set and blossum.  Time will tell.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The past 7+ years has been amazing for the MMO genre.

Despite the 'omg sandbox / back in my days' cries from the vocal minority, we have more $$$ / games in this genre than ever before. We have MMO actually be mainstream and in our culture for the first time.

If you are a fan of MMOs and enjoy that other people play them then you have to be happy with how the genre progressed.

2013 looks to be another exciting year and I for one look forward to more MMOs to play. As a 'content locust' I fully intend to drop most of them within 3 months though. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70
    alot of mmo's have failed me, this does not mean they were bad or anything. But this year Gw2 gave me and is still giving me a great time. In 2013 / 2014 i guess like most people Star citizen is on the wishlist ^^ but personaly i am also waiting for Elder scrolls online. The one Mmo i have always missed was Lotro back in the Shadows of Angmar days, when turbine was actaully working on stuff. For some reason everytime i see a elder scrolls video or play the rpg's i recap that lotro feeling from back then ^^

• hockey98hockey98 Member Posts: 26
    I dont think the issue is the games, I think the issue is today's gamers. Just like society today's gamers want everything for free and handed to them. When a game is released there are so many people that make it their purpose in life to try and derail a game knowing they will never play it, but come on forums like this and spew crap. You wonder why games keep forums closed at launch or only allow paying members to post, its because of those who have nothing better to do than bash a game they dont play. Until the mmo community in whole fights back against those who are ruining this genre mmos will never change.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by hockey98
    I dont think the issue is the games, I think the issue is today's gamers. Just like society today's gamers want everything for free and handed to them.

Couldn't possibly be some from column A (games) and some from column B (gamers)?

Victim is just too easy a role to adopt (which leads us back to the original post).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Word. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Word. :)

Word 2003?  Please no, it was pretty buggy (still).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by jpnz

The past 7+ years has been amazing for the MMO genre.

Despite the 'omg sandbox / back in my days' cries from the vocal minority, we have more $$$ / games in this genre than ever before. We have MMO actually be mainstream and in our culture for the first time.

And its resulted in a bunch of identical MMOs, less variety, choice, and innovation than ever before, and a bunch of once profitable companies shrinking and shutting down servers (virtually all AAA MMOs)