Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retail or online, do you care?

2»

Comments

• MightyBeeMightyBee Member Posts: 43

Well, I buy a lot from Steam, but usually during the sales and not everything they offer at that time.

I also play a lot of online games which I cannot buy and put together with my other games covers on the shelf.

I prefer not going to the games shops because I can't control myself and buy more than I've planned once I can touch everything there, so I prefer buying hard copies via Amazon. 

And, yes, I love having an option. I'm quite an unconsequent person.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I like to have a box at home, so if game is available in box, that's what I usually getting.  Re-installing is takeing less time too if necessary than huge downloads.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well seen as the only pc games I saw in the shops this weekend were

Football manager 2013
    Cod 5234 or whatever its on
    Happy panda land
    swtor - for £5 lol
    Then a bunch of them myst like adventures and tractor simulations for a few quid each.

I think I will stick with online.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I prefer online. It's much easier to see a wide variety of games, and it's easier to pick out games I would like. Not to mention the amount of indie and older games that are available through Steam or GoG.com*.

* If you're in the U.S., keep in mind that there's a separate 3% tax on anything you order. So if you order something for $10, there will be a separate 30 cent fee charged to your card.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MattTreckMattTreck Member Posts: 5
    I usually buy it from a digital distribution site such as Steam. But I frequent Amazon as well.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I haven't bought a retail box for a PC game in years.  All digital.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I"m not sure of the point of this.  Why would anyone vote for anything other than tthe option?  Even if all they've done is buy digitally they should probably recognize that if there is an ability to have it physically that is better than no option.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Digital downloads ftw. Used to love the box but all they did was sit on my shelf and collect dust.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

All digital for me. I'm in Venezuela, so buying physical copies means shipping costs, import taxes, a very VEEEERY long shipping wait, and with some (not so) recent anti violent video games laws, a chance of it being taken away at customs if the clerk is feeling cranky that day. Also, computer software piracy is VERY big in this country... just walking from my house to work I pass in front of at least 5 places where I could buy pirated games/software (console games too), and I'm not talking about shady dark alley/trunk of a car kind of places, I'm talking about big stores with neon light signs and all. If I wanted to actually buy a legit computer game, the closest place I know off is 5 hours away in car, and last time I was there (on vacation) most of the titles were either very old, or the "barbie pretty horses club" kind of things.

Actually, the few times I've bought computer games in a box I have them shipped to a friend in the US so she can email me the CDkey and I acquire the actual software trough torrent or other things like that. Last one I bought like that was Age of Conan, and I preordered just so I could get a digital download, which was something novel back then.

Even if I was in the US, though, chances are I'd go digital download route. I don't really see an advantage of getting an actual box that will just take space and collect dust in a shelf, or most likely on a box in storage somewhere. It was different back in the 90's when you would get lots of things with games, manuals that were actually book sized, information about the games, tactics and stuff like that (still fondly remember the X-wing manual). These days the only useful thing in the box is the CDkey, because with most games you're lucky to get a CD sized booklet with instructions to install the game, and even if you do have the DVDs to install from, chances are you'll still need to download several gigs of updates before being able to play.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

I used to buy a lot of 'boxed' stuff.. Loved getting all the 'extras' that came with it (standard edition none of this colectors stuff to get the extras back then)

But latley as I am getting older and you don't get any of the 'extras' in the box any more (unless you 'spew' money at them) and the range of PC games in stores these days is limited, I tend to go the digital way.. 

Now, for me to Buy a PC game, it needs to be on Steam, if it is not on Steam, I move along and find something else that is.. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

By 'retail' I assume outlets like bestbuy, gamestop, and such.

I only every buy from Amazon for boxed coppies and Steam for digital. On occasion, I buy directly from the developer.