Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EATX - What do people put in those PCI slots?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So yeah! What do people typically fill those with?

Assuming they use a 3 slot graphics card, that still leaves like....3 more slots or so o.o 

Edit : heres one

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I dont even know what an EATX looks like (got a link).  I really dont have a need for all the slots on an ATX and I'm not a hard core OCer so I prefer MATX with 1 PCIe and 2 pci slots.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Castillle

Assuming they use a 3 slot graphics card, that still leaves like....3 more slots or so o.o 

Wow 4-way SLI mobo,  too rich for my blood.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    Originally posted by Castillle

Wow 4-way SLI mobo,  too rich for my blood.

That is what people with retarded amounts of cash they don't mind throwing away do with those boards (or you're just a really sob and someone gifted it to you).  Quad SLI/Xfire!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It's not that anyone, perhaps outside of some professionals, would need all those PCI slots. It's more about extending your e-peen.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    The same thing you would do with 3 spare slots on any other motherboard... sound card and DVB/S TV tuner then either leave the last empty or fill it if you need things like extra USB ports.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Seems overkill for me. But Wi-Fi card, one of those blazing fast PCI SSD card, sound card or something.

I don't know, just seems overkill, I am extremely happy with just one video card lol.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by charlespayne
    This is a real gamers board http://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-classified-sr-2-intel-xeon-5520-s1366-ddr3-triple-ch-4-way-sli-sata3-usb3-hptx

Welcome to 2010.

Even if you did want a 2P workstation, you'd want Sandy Bridge-E, not Gulftown.  Or rather, their Xeon equivalents.  And that's assuming it can even take Gulftown; the Xeon 5520 that the link refers to is Bloomfield.  In that case, welcome to 2008.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would be a bit nervous about getting 4 way sli or crossfire-X using 3 chipsets.  Intel's chipset, and 2 other chipsets to get the 64 PCI-e gen 3 lanes this has.  Now if we were talking about using 6 PCI-e SSD in combination with a dual slot video card, and 8 SAS drives.  Then I think this board has a place.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Flagship motherboards serve two purposes:

1)  Something to buy for the extreme big-budget people who want top of the line everything, whether it matters or not, and for whom too much is never enough.

2)  To attract fawning reviews from tech review sites who are happy to see that the motherboard has everything, and the only problem is the price tag.  The hope is that readers who see that brand X has a great high-end motherboard will figure that the $60 motherboard from brand X must also be great and then buy it.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Flagship motherboards serve two purposes:

1)  Something to buy for the extreme big-budget people who want top of the line everything, whether it matters or not, and for whom too much is never enough.

2)  To attract fawning reviews from tech review sites who are happy to see that the motherboard has everything, and the only problem is the price tag.  The hope is that readers who see that brand X has a great high-end motherboard will figure that the $60 motherboard from brand X must also be great and then buy it.

QFT

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    A board like that, with the full four-way SLI going on, would be great for GPU computing.  Stuff like science and engineering simulations.  Probably wasted on anything game-related though.

You make me like charity