Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Latest State of the Game Letter Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Fallen Earth State of the Game letter has been published on the official blog. In it, the team discusses how the upcoming farm system will work. In addition, it is revealed that the effects revamp will kick off after the new year and a small developer/fan Q&A wraps up the letter.

Are there any other player structures incoming any time soon?

So, we’ve talked about players housing on an off for many years. We’re made no secret that it’s something that could be good for FE. It is, however, a huge project from a technical and artistic perspective. So rather than tackle the whole thing at once we look at what the smaller components are what problems they present and how to solve them. And sometimes we split them up into test projects- like farms. So what does this mean for housing? It means we’re looking at what it takes and how long it will take to get there and in the meantime we’re working on the player made structures that won’t contain full blown resident management, decoration etc. systems that might be a piece of a later version  of housing.

Read the full post on the Fallen Earth blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    gogo, dontgive up on this game... it can still rise
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Could of been a great game, Just needs more "Sandbox" features.

More precisely:

1. Ability to create your own content and "change the world".
    2. More player interaction systems to simulate an actual wasteland. Batering between players, raiders, bandits, merchants.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I notice they mentioned vanity clothing.  Do they have appearance tabs in game?  It's a feature I really enjoy.

Farming doesn't interest me, but maybe if I saw a video and it looked fun I'd consider it. 

This game had some really cool things about it.  I loved the open world, the look of the avatars, the fact that you could have more than one hair style, the art direction, setting, vehicles, etc.  They had excellent moderation, nice helpful community...

My only critique would be I think they didn't have enough money to build the systems that would have kept me interested and playing. I think I'm still trying to find that SWG fix and this game came close, if not in actual execution but maybe intangible feeling. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Mari2k
    gogo, dontgive up on this game... it can still rise

these forums really need 'like' buttons like we have on facebook.  Maybe people wouldn't feel so compelled to bla bla bla if we could simply 'like' a post we agree with.

I could see this game rising on my interest meter.  Maybe they need to generate some cash, ala greenlighting over at Steam or something.  Money is not the only answer, but it could allow for some possibilities.  Even though I'm not playing this game now, I would feel sad to see it die. 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    i'm about to try this game again. we'll see how it goes.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ErythrocyteErythrocyte Member Posts: 103
    Had a lot of fun playing this one (via the Mac client :-)).  I'll have to check it out  again.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Terranah

I notice they mentioned vanity clothing.  Do they have appearance tabs in game?  It's a feature I really enjoy.

There's a kind-of twp part system, has to be unlocked either from the cash shop or through points earned monthly by subing. First part is vanity slots, sold individually or in whole, second part are "invisible" items that make slots you don't want to show (typically the elbow and knee pads, among others) not show.

If I understand things correctly -- and I haven't bought anything from the cash shop or logged in more than periodically for a while, so I might have this wrong -- the vanity clothing they're adding is through lock boxes, basically a cash shop lottery. Wouldn't hold my breath on getting anything you really want that way.

As for the notion that Fallen Earth can still rise? Seriously? It's the walking dead, sad to say. Nor, frankly was the problem ever a lack of sandbox elements -- contrary to the pablum endlessly regergitated here, adding the word "sandbox" to something does not instantly make it better. The game's problem was money, iffy design, and bad -- terrible -- planning. It never was designed to be "sandbox" in any way, shape or form, nor would what are laughable referred to as sandbox elements have fit into the game's fundamental design.

Icarus banked on FE being a showcase for their engine, and on licensing said engine, but while the engine has its good elements, it was, and is, buggy as hell and filled with as many bad elements as good. And so Icarus is no more, instead their game can barely even be said to be on life support while an increasingly desperate G1st tries to suck what little blood from it may be left.

It's too bad, really, FE is the very definition of "Potential", but, sadly, potential that will never be, and probably never could have been, realized.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

If only this game had the driving from APB it would be awesome. Could never get past how bland driving was in FE, and at times felt like my car was a horse from older MMO's.

Though i did love having to build your vehicles from parts and quest's that was quite cool.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

If anyone havent given Fallen earth a try you should really do it. The game has a good f2p model and  has a really cool setting. Ok, the main story is rather chessey but what to excpect of an scifi title :)

The thing that bothers me, as a player from first CB, is the insane spawn rates of mobs. Its not fun to kill zombies in a military base and getting killed because the npcs you just killed did respawn. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    The F2P model killed that game, I played it from beta till it went f2p, was much much better before f2p. So no it wont get better as long as u gotta fork money over for everything. Xsyon-Wurm  and Mortal Online are free to play also and are real sandboxs with no item mall!
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    The F2P model killed that game, I played it from beta till it went f2p, was much much better before f2p. So no it wont get better as long as u gotta fork money over for everything. Xsyon-Wurm  and Mortal Online are free to play also and are real sandboxs with no item mall!

Fallen Earth was never said to be a game with a sandbox agenda. Some sandbox elements, such as player houses and markets, were ofc in the pipe line but were never materlized. All games have wild ideas from the start :) 

Also I dont believe that the f2p killed the game. You can play the game without paying a dime, but it will be slower. The choice is yours. The issue with the f2p are that the updates have  become fewer since the f2p,  but then again we have to look at the dev team and the size of the updates. And looking at those two things,  they are doing ok. 

The thing that "kills" the game is to look at the /help channel. The GMs are really helpful but the faith of mankind is a lost when looking at what kind of questions many are asking. Modern players are really stupied :) 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
    did ya miss the part of i played it from beta till f2p, i did try it, i loged into to all my skills GONE, means i gotta go n tryin to remake that money back to rebuy books i own.  you all can spend 25+ a month, ill stick to 15 or less. As i said game was ruined going F2p. and last time i loged in, 1-2 weeks ago, everyone ingame agreed. So yea im not falling for it and G1 is a money grab company and nothing more.
  • reubendwreubendw Member Posts: 1

Okay, that's just lying now.  You apparently spoke with EVERYONE in the game and they ALL agreed? Yeah right.  And for 9.99 a month you get everything you had before the conversion to f2p, the old 14.99 gives you some increased gains.  The main draw of the 25 a month is the aura which I believe affects OTHER players positively, not you.  Get your facts straight.

You can hate the game and the company but lets not start lying about it.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Nothing wrong with F2P or whatever content they decide to put in the game.

However at a fundamental and design level the game is utterly boring to play and I don't know if they'll ever bother to fix such a thing.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    It would have been shut down if not for being bought by that f2p developer. It still should be.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    The problem with this game is and always has been the clunky combat system.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

yea and MO wont let you max a toon w/o buying a sub. the 40 point difference is a big one and fails to make f2p even capable of competeing in MO. Xsyon well no clue but its beyound dated.

thats alright, u kids enjoy your free to play, me, i waited years for promises to finally appear they said at launch, None of it has actually happend. Farms? that was supposivly 90% done with s2 at launch, Lets not forget new rides where several people could ride in, Yea promised alot, delivered very little. Game was awsome fun at launch, when it went f2p it killed my fun. Yea sure u can get a *sub*, but u still item mall b/s to get anywhere from there. The day i see there promises finally filled is the day ill kiss the devs ass's. Till then they can kiss my ass and im not giving them anymore of my money, i waited long enough. Btw MO's pop is alot bigger then FE's, So obviously there doing something rite over there. and Wurm online, well yea it beats FE's f2p system out of the park. Im sorry but i see 0 need for a item mall, cap skills etc, poof easy system. Days of item malls are numbered as a new free to play system is taking notice!
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by vonryan123

yea and MO wont let you max a toon w/o buying a sub. the 40 point difference is a big one and fails to make f2p even capable of competeing in MO. Xsyon well no clue but its beyound dated.

Mind telling us where these mythical 40 points only subs get are?

f2p players can only get upto 60 points in anything as long as they dont have a sub. If you have a sub and drop it you will lose all points till you are set to 60 max when you sub you get them back. its not "Mythical" its called math