Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Truth?

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by NorseGod

I never liked GW2 from the very start. The reason? The vicious, smartassed community on the forums. It is a huge turn off. Game of the Universe Awards mean nothing to me, because it's all political anyways. "No sub fee" doesn't impress me either.

Another one of these threads. what is with the people in these forums?

Hey, I'd like to have a thread where people complain! Lets make a thread asking everybody to complain! I don't like the game, so I want to hear people complain,

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I was going to write about how silly it is to not play a game because of crappy forums. But then I realized I dont buy apple products because of those pretentious commercials so I guess I have no footing there.

Still, I think the worst forums ever was SWG and that was my favorite mmo. So you never really know for sure.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I never liked GW2 from the very start. The reason? The vicious, smartassed community on the forums. It is a huge turn off. Game of the Universe Awards mean nothing to me, because it's all political anyways. "No sub fee" doesn't impress me either.

Another one of these threads. what is with the people in these forums?

Hey, I'd like to have a thread where people complain! Lets make a thread asking everybody to complain! I don't like the game, so I want to hear people complain,

Thanks for your post. I've gotten exactly what I was looking for. Consistant answers to all of my assumptions.

Seriously, to everyone. Thanks for your input.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Thanks for your post. I've gotten exactly what I was looking for. Consistant answers to all of my assumptions.

No doubt you did. This forum is the best place to come to when you look for a crowd to validate your hatred of GW2, or actually, to be fair, of any MMORPG. That's pretty much why less and less people who really enjoy those games post here.

Now up to you to let some unknown people on a forum decide for you what you enjoy or not, or to make up your own mind by ignoring them and trying the game yourself.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

No doubt you did. This forum is the best place to come to when you look for a crowd to validate your hatred of GW2, or actually, to be fair, of any MMORPG. That's pretty much why less and less people who really enjoy those games post here.

Now up to you to let some unknown people on a forum decide for you what you enjoy or not, or to make up your own mind by ignoring them and trying the game yourself.

This forum is also a great haven for people who seem to take great offense when others don't like their favorite game, and invalidate their opinions on why they didn't like it, sometimes strictly because they came to this site to share them.

The "truth" is, these "haters" all feel the way they do for the reasons they have stated.  What the OP has to do is determine if these Issues they raise are important or not to him/her and what they are looking for in a new title.

And no, one does not have to try evey game to determine if they like it or not, but if you want to go down that road then better wait for a free trial. 

Although, they've been really generous with their refunds, you could buy it from them directly and they'll give you your money back months later if you decide you don't like it. I just don't really feel that tactic is very sporting, but others don't seem to mind.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

So, I'm asking the people that have quit playing:

Why did you quit?

What's the pop?

Where are all the players (I saw none on the livestreams)?

Is it like SWTOR in that you max level and get the best gear within 2 weeks, then bored to death?

Is PvP a CC spamming joke?

Is there something else bad that I'm missing that I should know about?

I'm still playing the game without any pauses...

The world is actually really populated still, I came across less players than I did when the game launched (which is expected) but there's still MASSIVE amount of players. Whenever I go into a dungeon there's tons of people standing outside the dungeon getting their groups together.

SWTOR was just a big massive dissapointment, to me atleast, and I still can't believe what €A did to that poor game which could've been such a huge success (if not in the hands of €A it would've been). Tho I heard it's much better now, but with current freemium model it's just waging to be P2W for subscribers (so I've heard - check the forums for details I guess). The game didn't even last me long enough to get max lvl char... -.-'

PvP is like nothing I've ever experienced before. Not to mention the WvWvW is really fun (if you have a commander present or a few people who can actually get the server organised, but if that's not the case it's still fun tho you'll die a lot more :) ). PvP is really balanced and you can counter every class if you know how to play it, some classes are harder to master than others but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly but you'll have to play alot of pvp to get the skills to actually be good enough for tournaments. It's really nothing you can spamm in PvP since your skill build is limited to number of skill slots (which is actually pretty awesome - if you set up the build to your gaming style).

Dungeons are really difficult on explorable if you don't know what you're doing or if someone in your party doesn't know what to do.. But they said they're patching the dungeons to balance them out (because smoe dungs are too hard, while some are just too easy).

The game just had patched content not long ago and we recieved a new area, we had 1 time only events where we had to prevent Karkas from taking over Lion's Arch (the worlds Capital city - so to speak) and then we had to push them back and finally kill their main leader... The event lasted around 3 days and it was pretty cool, but the lagg was really hiddeous sometimes.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Why did you quit?

I simply just did not feel the drive after some 3 weeks or so. I didnt have motivation to continue. The combat alone wasnt interesting enough to keep me going, the story was something I cant really even remember. The events were a fun change compared to questing, but they too werent really anything memorable and they are also just a repeat of the same event in the same spot mostly.

As far as I know there is not even a chance for interesting miscellaneous drops in this game, I could be wrong though, but it was one of the reasons I left, the drops felt very generic basic stuff that you simply need to get past an area, no transmutation stones or such.

No competition, no rivalry, no need to group up for anything else than dungeons which are so chaotic that I really didnt enjoy them so much. Same races on enemy side on PvP so there's not really any kind of factional pride, no interesting mechanics in W v W v W for conquering other realms areas.

The whole time I played people never asked anything the area chat, which indicates quite clearly that there is nothing interesting or difficult that stands out in an area, and quickly when you enter a new area you already expect that there's nothing else extraordinaly interesting in that area except the area specific jumping puzzle.

I guess the game is simply way too carefully crafted for my tastes. It looks great, it runs smooth, there's very few bugs, everything is fine on paper... It's just not that interesting on a long run.

The single greatest feature of the game is in my opinion the gear-less arena PvP, I'm going back for that as soon as I finish some other games I have on a list and when I loose my interest in PS2. Also for just a box price I recommend to try the game, I've already put hours into GW2 more than I put on 4 full priced single player games, it's certainly not a waste.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

I think you can buy the game by 50$, and its is value.

You will enjoy the game if you get a nice guild, if you not, you still have the map and its features to enjoy for a while. Story mode with whispers its the best one, but in the final part all are the same (around L60), but to made 1 time its ok.

Gameplay its one of the best geatures, as soon as you get it's makes you fill strange if you try again another MMO.

Puzzle jumps, vistas are nice features on this game, Hearts and skill points not, (i would like much more a system as in GW1).

sPvP, it gets boring fast as it is, WxWxW its a money sink but very enjoyable and addicitve,

Class balance its one of the best out there, if you have fingers you can do wonders with your not so good class.

Dungeons , i dont like dungeons on any MMO and i try to avoid then as much as possible, but i tried on GW2 and they are a bit hard for WoW standard, but im doing story mode on all (difficult to get group).

Max gear its very easy to get it. dont need dungeons at all.

Right now im trying to complete 100% the map with my 2 L80's, and still enjoying cause i play with RL friends and its far better experience.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

My recommendations for enjoying guild wars 2 as i have.(600 hours played)

1. Join an active guild with friendly and helpful players to show you the depth of things as well as have something to do stuff with, from beginning to endgame.

2. If you can, start playing the game with a friend, or make some right away. Try to level a set of characters together. Learning how your combo fields/finishers work with another class and owning content/pvp/wvw or w/e you like together can make a huge difference in how much you enjoy the game and how much you want to log in.

3. Try everything. That means exploring, De's, Hearts, Crafting, Spvp, WvW, dungeons, exp modes, Tournaments, Mini games, etc. If you do this I'm 95% sure you'll find more enjoyment then a person who jumps in, tried on or two things of the above and then says "oh this sucks /ragequit"

4. Remember that the purchase of 60$ grants you unlimited access to a AAA mmorpg that is, in most ways, different from the others, and most definatly not a WoW clone like the genre has been full of.

5. Remember that this is NOT WoW. Do not expect to play it like WoW. Gw2 really does require a different mindset then other theme-park mmo's. For example. No kill stealing/node stealing means you can safely play with other people you encounter without raining on their parade. Therefore, you start to feel less threatened by other players and actually welcome them. Note that in alot of cases people Want to play by themeselves and you may be one of them initially, however after the "newness" passes, you'll find there are plenty of people who want to group up for zone clearing, champion mobs, jumping puzzles, and a myriad of other activities that are just more fun with other people around.

6. Finally, just try it, theres no better value for your money on the MMO market today. Yes the forums around different websites may be littered with trolls and the like. However once in the game, at least on my server (Darkhaven), I find it very difficult to find people who arent helpful or fun. Let me give an example to close: In WoW, out of 10 players, 6 of them will be trolls whom would rather troll you then help you. 2 of them will be friendly, and 2 of them will be silent. In Gw2, 6 of them will be friendly, 2 of them will be Trolls, and 2 of them will be silent. At least that is my experience in Darkhaven as i've leveled up and even at Endgame.

Hope this helps would be Gw2 players and/or existing players.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    you can roll in combat, other than that the game wasnt fun.

played a million mmo's

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang I was going to write about how silly it is to not play a game because of crappy forums. But then I realized I dont buy apple products because of those pretentious commercials so I guess I have no footing there. Still, I think the worst forums ever was SWG and that was my favorite mmo. So you never really know for sure.
    I don't buy apple products because I like other products better and I don't like the apple ecosystem.  I like my network to be a windows ecosystem.   The most acerbic forum community is probably this one followed by rift and lotro.  The latter two forum communities have gone to hell in a handbasket.  Their in game communities don't really mirror the forums at all.

OP - never play a game based on what you read in forum pvp.  Wait until there is a free trial and check it out then. That is what I recommend for any game.  If you really want to try the game you can check out their return policy (it's in the GW2 support website) which they sill offer.

I really dont visit official forums for any game I enjoy mainly because they ultimately taint the game for me. Its like you're having a good time so you visit the forums only to find that you're not supposed to be enjoying this pos and should be outraged about all kinds of things you havent really given much thought about.

These are the only forums I frequent. And I hate myself for it haha!

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I think there are population spikes during the monthly events. I've said it many times before but I still think that they are working on making the technical content to finish the game. I mean observer modes, guild halls and whatnot.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

I’m pretty neutral about the game, I enjoy my time in it, and for now it’s the best thing I have found to play with little time investment, and no monthly money sinks.

I mean if something I liked better was to come along I would snatch that up to try, but as of now it’s hard for me to enjoy other games with stingy old school game mechanics, like kill stealing, mat camping, quest clicky races, or power up ganking.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

Stanislaw Lem "As long as I did not use the Internet, I did not know that in the world there are so many idiots."

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Game is great untill max level then becomes a grind fest if you do not open your wallet.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Kothoses
    Game is great untill max level then becomes a grind fest if you do not open your wallet.

Exactly, and no only that the nerf of the drops has caused many players to quit and now they have nerfed the engineer class that was one of the weakest.  I am just enjoying other games at this moment, GW2 has been a big let down in comparison with GW1. They should have renamed the game something else but GW2.

I am playing now Firefall  (it is in Beta) and seems very promissing.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

I'll throw my 2 cents..

Combat is exactly the same you see in any MMORPG. The only difference is the lousy dodge mechanic, but then again it could be a skill as well. The direction you dodge in makes almost no difference since your character is invulnerable during dodge animation. Why make a damned dodge mechanic, when the dodge direction doesn't even matter!???

Customization is almost at the same level with diablo 3. Devs know what's best for you, you are only allowed to pick a few skills and some meaningless traits. Gear customization is also a bit pathetic, since all gears give same stats.

Crafting, I can't really say how much it sucks. What's the point of it when you can't make any profit with it?? The only benefit from crafting is fast experience gain, anything else just drains your gold and effors and makes you want to hang arena.net devs. All crafting products are sold at NPC price + 1 copper, so if you're hoping to save money by getting 400 lvl and making exotics by yourself: forget it! It's cheaper to buy from the trading post directly!

Community is the worst I've seen in any MMORPG. No one writes, only used chats are map chat and guild chat. You might as well play with the robots than with GW2 community. Oh and did I mention fanboys that have infected each and every GW2 forum? They just keep repeating their mantra "Black is white, black is white, all hail ArenaNet CEO! Can we lick your shoes?"

Personal story quests are even more boring than traditional MMORPG quests. Yep, even "kill 10 rats" is more entertaining that one of those horrible personal story quests. Badly done cutscenes where 2 guys are just standing and talking, play area is highly limited and in the end you end up killing those 10 rats to get to the next boring 1 on 1 "cutscene".

Dungeons oh my god, why bother innovating when you can just throw in mobs with 10x hp and bosses which can 1 hit kill you. Before you get 80lvl exotic sets dungeons might feel hard since you get 1 hit killed, but after you get that shiny set, all that's left is 10x hp enemies.

I could go on forever, but unfortunately my fingers cut their contract.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Jack Nicholson in a few good men, "YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Masa1

I'll throw my 2 cents..

Combat is exactly the same you see in any MMORPG. The only difference is the lousy dodge mechanic, but then again it could be a skill as well. The direction you dodge in makes almost no difference since your character is invulnerable during dodge animation. Why make a damned dodge mechanic, when the dodge direction doesn't even matter!???

Customization is almost at the same level with diablo 3. Devs know what's best for you, you are only allowed to pick a few skills and some meaningless traits. Gear customization is also a bit pathetic, since all gears give same stats.

Of course the combat is the same in every other MMORPGs.

Pretty in much all MMORPGs you can attack something you aren't targetting, you can avoid a projectile by moving to the side (isn't the same as dodge) or block a spell targetting someone else by moving into its trajectory.

Oh wait, it isn't.

I load WoW, I press nature's wrath with nothing selected and.,, nothing happens.

I hide behind a 8 feet tauren and that bullet stills hit me.

Yeah, GW2 combat is just like every other MMORPG.

And the dodge direction doesn't matter?

So you telling me, dodging to the left so I'm in a flanking position, dodging to the front so I'm next to the mob or behind the mob or dodging backwards so I'm further away from the mob isn't a tactical choice?

(and the reason it gives a brief window of immunity is due to latency issues).

Customization - oh wait, you haven't played the game so there is no need to go on.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I'll throw my 2 cents..

Customization - oh wait, you haven't played the game so there is no need to go on.

Wrong accusation. I own the game and I'm stll playing it from time to time. IG name Tsuan.

• I can mention a lot of little annoyances, that I could find in any mmorpg anyway, so I'll keep it with the biggest ones and will try to explain as good as possible....I've even been bashing people on this forum trying to lol at this game and making it look bad. I'm not that type but I want to be realistic after a few months of playing, so here goes:

Firstly I think that  ANet is pretty good in dealing with its customers, and they hit the nail on the head in explaining the WvW system's fairness where 3 servers would be balanced out by 2 weaker ones grouping up against the top server. But what happened? Server transfer is now free and I was in the top tier server (north america). This resulted in all the win-to-play jackasses join the server with the biggest zerg (because thats how they win WvW now sadly) and now that server (Sea of Sorrows) is dominating the top tier and the other 2 tiers are stuck since they cant go down because they are too strong and they cant go up becuase theyre already in the top. And this is also where I am VERY disappointed in the community overall that they are not able to solve the problem with the 2 weaker servers actually teaming up against the stronger one. Apparently they have morals and principles not to team up with another "because they are strong enough" but it is not considered cheating to abuse a small game update for your winnings (happened this week. for people who don't know the game, the server Sea of Sorrows captured the biggest castle within 5 minutes after the updatebecause all the defense that was built up got wiped out by the updated). Next to that when i ask for a small group to do smaller tasks hardly anyone is doing it. And I think that's very sad for the rank 2 (former rank 1, and with few numbers still by far the most skilled) server.

The second thing I really miss is the feeling of progressing through zones. Where in WoW/Lotro you can be quite safe on the paths and you have the feeling that you are traveling, in GW2 there is no path. It also goes too fast for me at times with events and such, running my ass off to keep up. Where I do find Lotro too calm eventually, apparently GW2 just storms my brain. So what I mean is that I have the feeling the zones miss integration with the storyline and miss the calmness that WoW/Lotro used to have. Even though it's true that it's great that you get scaled to zones so it doesnt become too easy, on the other hand having to deal with the challenge continuously without interruption I think is too much. On the contrary this is why I highly enjoyed the jumping puzzles; they were more calm and you could take your time in most of them.

The third thing is addiction marketing. ANet has still implemented things that require a player to be online at least 4 hours a day if not more. Where i think that the mmorpg's have gone way too far in this in general, I used to praise GW2 for being different but then again I saw how far from the truth they still are. I am a guy who likes to finish a game, but like WvW, capturing a camp 100.000 times I think is pure addiction marketing. In fact they should be sued for that. I also don't get it, because you can make me and probably most people play for the same amount of money and make it around 10 hours per week. I just think it's strange to sell a game where you only pay once and then implement addiction marketing. It totally doesn't make sense to me!

Lastly there is hardly room for error in money/inventory management. It is tough to keep up your money and knowing what to do with your inventory AND play the game. I also think this is not Trading Wars, but Guild Wars. Even though it is not that hard to just play the game and get your yellows and perhaps exotics on the way, it is however true that the people with the nicest looking items in the game are not the most skilled people in playing but the most skilled people in trading or they are skilled and farm the game (where I come back to addiction marketing).

I think that my complaints are more against the mmorpg community overall than against ANet, although i think that if you have any principles left you dont implement achievements that you have to play 10.000+ hours for. I think it's a shame. They could have made it really easy and give rewards for doing different things rather than the same thing over and over again, and make a clear limit to it as to tell the players that THIS game is NOT one you get rewarded for by being addicted to it.

Shame on ANet, but just as much shame on the GW2 community and the mmorpg community in general. These things really put me off and now made me stop playing.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    Originally posted by Kothoses

Exactly, and no only that the nerf of the drops has caused many players to quit and now they have nerfed the engineer class that was one of the weakest.  I am just enjoying other games at this moment, GW2 has been a big let down in comparison with GW1. They should have renamed the game something else but GW2.

I am playing now Firefall  (it is in Beta) and seems very promissing.

You're kidding right?? The engineer before the nerf was one of the most powerful profession if you knew how to play it. But most didn't so they thought that the profession was weak. Noob these days...

• sparrsparr Member Posts: 48
    Dont bother if you like games that require  others to join you and have fun..i still play ,but i find it hard to log on every day, ..i wish they would stop making games so easy and boring..you can lvl as faster or faster than SWTOR..and yes, in 2 weeks..you just bored to death.. go pvp some, but even that get boring fast..and i love pvp...take my word for it..i wish there was a game like EQ1 or DAOC again...i for one love the grind and the holy trinity..you got to know the people you huted with and  it made for alot better community..more mature players play the hard games..imo.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I'll throw my 2 cents..

Wrong accusation. I own the game and I'm stll playing it from time to time. IG name Tsuan.

And you still say that traits are meaningless and all gears give the same stats?!

Then it is a different problem...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders