Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to the feeling?

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Axehandle

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience.  I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

You can still get that feeling, your just playing the wrong MMO's, download load Vanguard and level crafting, diplomacy and adventuring. You can come back in a year's time and tell us about the epic journey from house builder to ship builder.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience. 

I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

Well i had that EPIC feeling on all my classes in FFXI but NEVER in a linear questing game.Wow i feel was ONLY because the majority and a LARGE majority at that were playing their first MMORPG and just got excited over nothing.

Wow pushes you in that linear direction and at the same time was never tough to do quests.

A HUGE difference from FFXI where as you get higher in levels, the seperation in levels became tougher and tougher.

First of all those linear questing games can for the most part be done solo,so ya not much in way of EPIC there.

FFXI you HAD to group for the most part.Your groups started by fighting 1-2 levels above yours,but as you got higher the levels became +6-+10 levels higher ,a couple mistakes you and your group die.

Even the solo part of FFXI was MUCH more epic than anything Wow offered as playing a Beastmaster was truly challenging,one mistake or bad luck and you were dead.

Also in FFXI you pretty much can NOT run from a bad situation,you need to learn how to fight through it.In many other games you run for a short bit and the hate is lost.There was of course the zoning but that was again SMARTS that got you to safety.

I am not picking on Wow,merely stating the obvious,ALL these games are linear questing,they hand out FREE xp just for doing a quest.In FFXI you get ZERO xp for doing quests,there is a BIG difference in EPIC game play right there.

SO until anotehr game comes along that removes xp for linear questing,the EPIC feel will not be there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience. 

I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

Accomplished? That is just an illusion.

Whole game is an illusion.

Yeah. Games are just that .. illusions to invoke certain feelings for enjoyment.

I would not take them too seriously.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

1.  I've never hit max level on any game I've ever played, ever actually. MMO or spg.

2.  You've changed.  You are more experienced, more knowlegable, less naive, likely less passionate and excitable.  It will not be possible to get the same feeling as before by doing the same things.  You will have to do something different and the developers will have to provide a significantly different game.

I am completely convinced that the biggest problem with the genre for us vets (if there is a problem) is that we have become used to and too knowledgable in how we interface with the game.  We need a new way to interact with the games in order to bring that feeling back.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Its not the same the second time, or the third, or the fifty-second.

This. ^

Or, the way I would have put it is, you can only do something for the first time once.

Right, but different games are by their very nature different. The first time you hit level cap in wow does not mean the journey to level cap in swtor is marginalized because you already did it in a different game.

It depends on how similar it is.  Doing something stupid a zillion times to grind out levels is pretty similar, no matter what the "something stupid" is.  If that gave you a feeling of accomplishment the first time, then perhaps the issue is that it doesn't take that long to realize that that's a silly thing to feel accomplished over.

The trouble with having so many WoW-clones is that from playing previous ones, you're mostly familiar with a new one the moment you pick it up.  If you're 90% of the way to being sick of a "new" game the moment you first log in, that kills off a lot of fun that the game would have been otherwise.

I currently feel that way about most of mmorpg genre.  That being said, there are a few indie games that are different and can give you that sense of accomplishment.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I found the feeling here.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by Axehandle From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful
    The fact that you used the already accelerated WoW as opposed to the real grind EQ, immediately dilutes your sentiment.
    What's your point?   Because I didn't play EQ I'm not worthy of an opinion on leveling?   Are you the overseer on what members get to have opinions on?

It means exactly what I said. You are already part of what started this whole accelerated trip to end game. When you complain about it to people who actually enjoyed a long levelling time before WoW came along and started the whole decent into MMORPG's with one month lifespans your opinion becomes less poignant.

It's like you kicked all the old MMORPGers dogs by jumping on the fast levelling WoW and then when even faster MMOs come along and yours gets kicked, you suddenly jump up and cry, "Why all the dog kicking?!?"

You might want to check your bias attitude at the door

HAHAHAHA... Why? What are you going to if I don't? It's the internet!

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    All it will take is someone to do something completely original, then you will have that feeling again.  No one has done it in a long long time.
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

When you hike a mountain for 14 hours in harsh conditions and you finally get to the top you will feel accomplished.

If you get there on ropeway then you won't feel that way.

That depnds on what your previous experiences are with being on a mountain in harsh conditions. If you've never even gone hiking before, I imagine summiting a mountain in harsh conditions would feel like quite an accomplishment regardless of how you did it.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by ezpz77

When you hike a mountain for 14 hours in harsh conditions and you finally get to the top you will feel accomplished.

That depnds on what your previous experiences are with being on a mountain in harsh conditions. If you've never even gone hiking before, I imagine summiting a mountain in harsh conditions would feel like quite an accomplishment regardless of how you did it.

and how many times you've summited a mountain, and/or that mountain and what your purpose in going to the summit is.

I hike a lot, summit probably 15-20 times a year.  While I enjoy it, I really don't get a feeling of accomplishment from doing it (generally, yes a new and very difficult mountain may do it, I imagine everest would do it :)  )   Most times it's just an exercise I enjoy, the mountain itself is just the means to an end.

On the other hand I'm currently debating proposing to my girlfriend, she doesn't like hiking very much but does come with me occasionally.  I'm going to devise a scavenger hunt with the ring at the end, there will be hiking but that is just a distraction not the goal.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Axehandle From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful
    The fact that you used the already accelerated WoW as opposed to the real grind EQ, immediately dilutes your sentiment.
    What's your point?   Because I didn't play EQ I'm not worthy of an opinion on leveling?   Are you the overseer on what members get to have opinions on?

It means exactly what I said. You are already part of what started this whole accelerated trip to end game. When you complain about it to people who actually enjoyed a long levelling time before WoW came along and started the whole decent into MMORPG's with one month lifespans your opinion becomes less poignant.

It's like you kicked all the old MMORPGers dogs by jumping on the fast levelling WoW and then when even faster MMOs come along and yours gets kicked, you suddenly jump up and cry, "Why all the dog kicking?!?"

You might want to check your bias attitude at the door

HAHAHAHA... Why? What are you going to if I don't? It's the internet!

Theres no reason to be a dick. His opinion is just as valid as you old school EQ fanboys. His sense of accomplishment is no different then yours.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Anyone whos ever done drugs will understand how this works, if not with their mind then with their body and videogames are no different in that way.

It's called "chasing the dragon," and you are absolutely right. You never get that high like you did the first time, but you never stop looking for it. Until you do.

• SWTOR is the only MMO where they actually made the journey interesting again due to the interactive dialogues actually making you interested in the mission stories. Unfortunately to me the game felt like it was missing the world aspect I seek in MMO games.
  • Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by ezpz77

and how many times you've summited a mountain, and/or that mountain and what your purpose in going to the summit is.

I hike a lot, summit probably 15-20 times a year.  While I enjoy it, I really don't get a feeling of accomplishment from doing it (generally, yes a new and very difficult mountain may do it, I imagine everest would do it :)  )   Most times it's just an exercise I enjoy, the mountain itself is just the means to an end.

On the other hand I'm currently debating proposing to my girlfriend, she doesn't like hiking very much but does come with me occasionally.  I'm going to devise a scavenger hunt with the ring at the end, there will be hiking but that is just a distraction not the goal.

When you marry her the second time she's going to be like "oh this grind again..."

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Theres no reason to be a dick. His opinion is just as valid as you old school EQ fanboys. His sense of accomplishment is no different then yours.

Except that he and many others that supported WoW are now wishing for longer levelling times when their support of WoW in the first place is what reduced levelling times to the ADHD durations they are now.

Dick? Truth.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Its not the same the second time, or the third, or the fifty-second.

Because in today's market you can make max level overnight, so why should it feel epic or special.. That is my problem i have with todays MMO genre.. The journey should be the focus of the game, not just some short lived overnight stay at a Holiday Inn Express..  I for one can do without the countless instance dungeons to grind at level cap, and spend more time in the open world exploring and progressing.. Maybe instead of having games that take you from 1-50th level in 10 zones and 10 dungeons to grind..  We get a world that is 40 zones big with no instancing, and spend more time leveling then grinding.. 

IMO.. Any game that allows your average gamer to max out in a couple months is EPIC FAIL.. 

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Accomplished? That is just an illusion. I remember when i first hit max level at EQ ... and i was amazed how silly i was wacking the same mob (abate with others) again and again for hours, so that a number gauge will move a little. The combat wasn't even that much fun.

Glad that kind of days are over.

When i started to play WOW (around BC), leveling was much faster and you don't have to play a week before you can see any discernable change in abilities or equipment.

It is your perogative to play a game at a glacier pace ... but count me out.

Exactly, I don't know why anyone seems to think leveling in the, 'good old days', was some sort of herculean feat that's missing from modern games.  If anything it was a trail of patience more then anything.

I have to admit this hankering back to the good old days is non perspective bollocks.  You will never have that, 'feeling', again because none of this stuff is a new experience to you. You could have the toughest to level, most sandboxy game, in the world release tomorrow and most people on here would complain about some aspects of because it doesn't, 'feel', like the old games  UO, EQ, *insert lost love* here.

Face facts: Your older, your more cynical now, dreams are now memories, and stop whineing that a computer game doesn't make you feel like your 16 again.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Shadow-FocusShadow-Focus Member Posts: 13

When we were leveling in our first MMORPG, we weren't racing to get to end-game, because we didn't know what it was. So leveling was fun. I remember sitting in the Barrens for hours fishing for Deviate fish to sell on the AH while I was leveling, with no concern that I would be falling 'behind' on the treadmill.

Everything was new and there was a steep learning curve. Getting your first mount or completing your first dungeon felt epic. I was totally hooked after my first raid.

I can't imagine getting those feelings again unless MMORPG's change drastically.

Played - WoW, LotRO, AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWtOR.

Playing - GW2

Want - TESO, Neverwinter, Titan

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Accomplished? That is just an illusion. I remember when i first hit max level at EQ ... and i was amazed how silly i was wacking the same mob (abate with others) again and again for hours, so that a number gauge will move a little. The combat wasn't even that much fun.

Glad that kind of days are over.

When i started to play WOW (around BC), leveling was much faster and you don't have to play a week before you can see any discernable change in abilities or equipment.

It is your perogative to play a game at a glacier pace ... but count me out.

Exactly, I don't know why anyone seems to think leveling in the, 'good old days', was some sort of herculean feat that's missing from modern games.  If anything it was a trail of patience more then anything.

I have to admit this hankering back to the good old days is non perspective bollocks.  You will never have that, 'feeling', again because none of this stuff is a new experience to you. You could have the toughest to level, most sandboxy game, in the world release tomorrow and most people on here would complain about some aspects of because it doesn't, 'feel', like the old games  UO, EQ, *insert lost love* here.

Face facts: Your older, your more cynical now, dreams are now memories, and stop whineing that a computer game doesn't make you feel like your 16 again.

I'm confused here..  You and the other guy say, "  and i was amazed how silly i was wacking the same mob (abate with others) again and again for hours, so that a number gauge will move a little " is any different then grinding the same mobs in dungeons and raids?  Do you honestly expect to make general manager overnight at your place of employment.. Some of us like a slower path.. I prefer EQ leveling alot more then WoW's.. In EQ, when I crafted something, I atleast got to use it for awhile.. Unlike today's fast paced leveling where crafting is a JOKE, because by the time you have the mats for items, you've outleveled the need for it anyways..

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    Short of us all acquiring a holodeck in our bedrooms, I think our numbness to all the clones will persist.  I still get super excited when new titles come out though, I don't know why... just can't help it.  
  • KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

The thrill can't be duplicated. The fear of running through Kithicor at night. Zoning into POF the first time and seeing a pile of corpses. Getting your first EPIC weapon, ect....

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by DSWBeef

Except that he and many others that supported WoW are now wishing for longer levelling times when their support of WoW in the first place is what reduced levelling times to the ADHD durations they are now.

Dick? Truth.

No just a dick. 

Im sure you're reasonable and probably quiet in real life. That's the Internet for you it creates "badasses"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

You don't get to lose your virginity twice.

Bringing it a different girl doesn't make it all new again.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I was watching this Korean drama and this women took great pains to lose her virginity and her nasty overbearing mother was so angry when she saw her with a guy in the house and slapped her and told her she is making an appointment to get her virginity restored. When she tells her friends her very outspoken friend said no way are you doing that after all the trouble you went to lose it. I was really curious about this operation.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

That's why I don't like levels. My first MMO was SWG pre-CU. Since there were no levels, coupled with the system that allowed me to constantly unlearn/learn skills as I pleased, I never felt like I was finished. There was always something new to try, something new to do.

I want that feeling back.