Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmo should I play and why

CrowsCryCrowsCry Member Posts: 10

Greetings everyone, I work a 40 hour job and look forward to my nights off to game. Problem is once I get into my computer chair. I can't seem to get into anything. What mmo should I play and why? Please intrigue me with your opinions. 

Comments

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    It would most likely help to know what kind of game you are looking for or what you are looking to get out of it.  Do you like PvE or PvP?  Do you like instanced or open worlds?   What kind of games did you play in the past and what you didn't like in those games?
  • CrowsCryCrowsCry Member Posts: 10
    I enjoy PvE and PvP. I really like open world better. Games I have played that are open. Just lack in a lot of other areas (especially visually). I can get into your standard sandbox games for about a month. Then I just get burned out. I currently have AoC, SWTOR, GW2, Lotro, TsW, and DCUO installed. I know lot's of choices, but ugh. lol
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think you should play Fallen Earth.  I've never played it, but I'm going with my gut on this one.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm back to Vanilla WoW ( I can't say more than that or I'll get another ban )

-  i'ts the only true mmo that did not go F2P.

-  It's still community driven unlike all else.

-  It's hard and you have to think......See that cave over there, your gonna get you butt kicked if you go in !

-  Sure everything is spread out, but thats what makes it like a real life.

Every other mmo sucks because their not mmos.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Rift...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

-Darkfall

-The Secret World

-and go to Kickstarter backing "Elite Dangerous"!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

I will have to give fallen earth a try. I played Rift until all my friends quit. Six hours have gone by and I played a little of GW2, SWTOR, and AoC. Most of my time I spent on roaming the internet.  Of course it does not help... When most of my mmo friends have dedicated themselves to consoles. :/ 

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

You should play the one that best fitts the setting and genre you personnaly feel most attached to.

I personally can get into a mmo if I love my character and the surrounding world. I belive most games can be played hardcore or casual, its down to you and you feel about equipment and how quick you want it.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    EVE, Dofus or Wizard 101. Since clearly you have already tried really lot of WoW-style MMOs, you should try something different for a change.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Does it have to be an MMO? Cos there's a lot of nice single player games out there waiting if you havn't tried them yet you know?

The only one keeping me interested at the moment is Rift.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    You nailed it! Gorwe. As for single player games. Ever since I began playing mmo's. I can't really get into single player games anymore. The last single player rpg I played was FF8. Yeah... lol
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by CrowsCry
    The last single player rpg I played was FF8. Yeah... lol

Haha, what? Like back when FF8 was released?

Good god you have missed a lot of quality games if that's right. Get your wallet out mate.. a single player game will seem like a godsend after playing all these washed out MMOs. Dragon Age 1: Ultimate Edition is a good place to start.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I have the same problem a lot, but lately I landed on two MMOs I play the most and I thought I'd never play. Star Trek Online and Perpetuum Online. Both are considered by the MMO community at large to be garbage, but I am enjoying them quite a bit. STO has so many different layered RPG systems in it that it should keep any RPG fan happy (your bridge and duty officers, outfitting your ship, soon managing your own personal fleet according to the dev blog). The stories are decent (im not even a trek fan) and the Foundary is pretty fun for making your own content when you are bored. The downside is group play is rather limited and it still boils down to your standard lobby game like WoW/Rift/most MMORPGs these days.

Perpetuum on the other hand is like EVE lite. I wanted to like EVE so much, but I don't want to be griefed endlessly for 6 months while I struggle to be viable, plus I dont like click to move. Perpetuum has a much smaller community (this is also a downside) so the griefing isn't as rampant at all, plus it has WASD movement which helps to make you feel like youre in control of your character. Combat is pretty fun, using cover and engagement distances, etc. It gets better when you get into a good Corp and start helping them build their base and stuff. Again, the con is that the community is relatively small, but to me its also a huge plus. It has a 14-day trial so it won't hurt to try it out!

I also agree with everyone's recommendation of Fallen Earth. Once I accomplish my immediate goals in STO I plan to go back to Fallen Earth for a bit while I wait for Season 8.

The recurring theme for me seems to be Sci Fi, so I am wondering if you encountered the same brick wall I did - sword and board gets old after a while. New settings seemed to revitalize me quite a bit.

Hope that helps!

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• tiagotbp190tiagotbp190 Member Posts: 28

Darkfall Unholy wars

Fallen earth

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Darkfall Unholy Wars!!!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by CrowsCry
    You nailed it! Gorwe. As for single player games. Ever since I began playing mmo's. I can't really get into single player games anymore. The last single player rpg I played was FF8. Yeah... lol

There is something else you could do.

Get a second HDD and play the Linux game.

Its a MMORPG that encurages you to fixing and crafting.

You play the role of a system administrator and on your mainhand is a bash and offhand you wear either the focus weapon or controll your extended mainhand weapon specials.

Its a education game and has more to offer, then any MMORPG can offer to you.

It also contains a lot of games you never saw and here is a little Linux experience on a totally normal day:

Last week one day evening.

Git pulled new changes to the wine source, i decided to clean it before a fresh recompile, needs 4 mins.

I opened UFO:Alien Invasion and just wanted to pass 4 minutes and about 4 hours later i thought WTF, how immersive, lol.

Thats a typical situation for me, when i get bored of games like you do and i may have a similar problem, too many MMOs installed, but there is this perfect excuse of "let me check how i can run in on Linux" :p

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by delete5230

I'm back to Vanilla WoW ( I can't say more than that or I'll get another ban )-  i'ts the only true mmo that did not go F2P.-  It's still community driven unlike all else.-  It's hard and you have to think......See that cave over there, your gonna get you butt kicked if you go in !-  Sure everything is spread out, but thats what makes it like a real life. Every other mmo sucks because their not mmos.

Not every MMO, there are some that are still MMO's.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

have you tried Vanguard? completely open world. overland bosses at all tiers. indepth crafting. a diplomacy system that allows you to set up buffs for fellow players as well as eventually obtain a land grant from an npc factional house and become a baronet.

the dungeons in this game are amazing. they are completely open, no instancing. and just when you've thought youve gotten tot he end of one, you turn a corner and it opens out even more.

there is no pvp however.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Yeah, I am  in the same position as you, but for me it's worse!

I have so many games that I am looking foward to play, but when I come home from work or have a free weekend, I am just sitting there and playing none of them! As soon as I start a game, I see all the cons with it or try to "look into the future", if this game will be a waste of time or something that I will allways remember as a great game. So, is the game worth my time? Maybe, but my answear is allways no and I can't really spend alot of time in a specific game, as I did for some years ago....

Also, games like Darkfall: Unholy Wars and Wurm Online, that will be released next week, are things that I am looking forward too. Because of that, I don't see any reason to spend time in another game (like today), when I will be playing those two. I hate those mind-traps and even if it's not like this all the time when it comes to games, it is it most of the time :(

Vanguard, DFUHW, Wurm Online and the soon to be released Age Of Wushu which is a full PvP FFA sandbox MMO and the second western beta starts on the 20th of December through till the 9th of January. We will have updated content and quests and features. This is going to be a great beta and what a beautiful game to play over the Xmas holidays.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2 for your massive world and pvp
    Skyrim for your pve, pve is just done better in single player games, mmo pve has gotten really stale.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Planetside 2 for your massive world and pvp
    Skyrim for your pve, pve is just done better in single player games, mmo pve has gotten really stale.

No it hasn't, you've just been playing the wrong MMO's.

Thank you for the input ladies and gents. :) I played Vanguard at release. I have not went back since. I might check back to see if they polished it up a lot.

You guys will probably laugh and hate me. I decided to install (yes for the first time ever) LoL. I surprisingly enjoyed playing it. It was a nice change to the funk I have been in.

After a few weeks of playing LoL. I will get back into my standard mmo groove. Now my challenge is to remind myself christmas is almost here. I can give into buying some of the cool champions.   

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

EQ2 might have some intrest for you check out the f2p.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I think you should play Fallen Earth.  I've never played it, but I'm going with my gut on this one.

I am playing Fallen Earth and I am loving the open world, crafting, combat, etc...