Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Lord of the Rings Online: Against the Shadow Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine isn't resting on the laurels of the recent Lord of the Rings Online expansion, Riders of Rohan. At some point in the near future, they will be releasing the first major content addition, Against the Shadow. We've got an exclusive preview of the new content. Read on!

Titled "Against the Shadow" this update adds content, expands a number a existing features, and brings additional environmental technology to the game. The most noticeable change of the update is the addition of three all new instances.  These instances will send your character back in time where you will be tasked by Gandalf to complete the following missions: Head to the Misty Mountains and prevent a giant eagle's egg from becoming a stone giant's breakfast.  Travel underneath the Misty Mountains to the home of the Goblin King and prevent the goblins from reorganizing. Finally you will be asked to travel to Mirkwood and cull the wildlife. All three of these instances are designed for 3 players and scale in level from 20 to 85. In addition to talking to Gandalf you can access these through the instance finder.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Lord of the Rings Online: Against the Shadow Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Rohan is so good and so fun, that I want to make alts to take into it to re experience all the new expansion content.  With how things are right now, that's a long endeavor and filled with annoyances.  This looks to be fixed by allowing open tapping and remote looting as well as mounted combat in the old world areas.  Will make leveling alts that much less of a chore and more streamlined and fun.  Can't Wait!
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

If I could have just one change made to this game, it would be to make levelling traits account wide rather than character wide. I would be much more motivated to play alts if they could level account-wide traits rather than have me spend long periods of time mindlessly killing grey mobs to get that +16 determination. 

Adjust this Turbine and you will see much more life in the lower level areas.

Overall I'm happy with Robert's preview and being a lifetimer in an excellent kin I'll always be around the place, I'm just struggling with motivation just now because levelling an alt is too painful with all the things you have to re do that you shouldn't.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    I want the Hobby Horse!!!! $50?????  Here take it!!!!

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Yesterday during the preview they did not mention getting to do mounted combat in the old world. Sorry if I gave you that impression.
    Originally posted by marcust

If I could have just one change made to this game, it would be to make levelling traits account wide rather than character wide. I would be much more motivated to play alts if they could level account-wide traits rather than have me spend long periods of time mindlessly killing grey mobs to get that +16 determination. 

Overall I'm happy with Robert's preview and being a lifetimer in an excellent kin I'll always be around the place, I'm just struggling with motivation just now because levelling an alt is too painful with all the things you have to re do that you shouldn't.

I Agree.  They should be account wide considering they are Lotro's form of Achievements.  Would make playing alts more fun as well. 

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

Not to sound too grumpy, but those 3 instances are part of the Rohan-expansion so dont sell them as a big NEW update.

There are even more instances which belong to RoR which are delayed to februari (or march).

So take of those rose-colored glasses; development is still painfully slow imo.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by geremady

Not to sound too grumpy, but those 3 instances are part of the Rohan-expansion so dont sell them as a big NEW update.

Rift is doing the same thing with their 2.1 update, a raid they chose not to release with the expansion because apparently people cant handle having 2 raids to choose from anymore.  This sort of thing isnt that rare.

Between the update with free content before Rohan, RoR, and the big QoL patch on the PTS I'd say the LOTRO devs are back on track.

The cash shop aspect is sadly out of control though.

Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by marcust

I Agree.  They should be account wide considering they are Lotro's form of Achievements.  Would make playing alts more fun as well. 

They are more than achievements, they are a form of character progression.  But the slayer deeds are the worst thing in the game.  15/30 isnt so bad.  30/60 is ok for areas where you have to kill mst of that as quest mobs anyway.  Anything above that is brutal.

If they dont want to fully give the stuff away, at least make them half the kills for every character thats already done the deed.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Time-travel, huh? Hmmmm....maybe I won't be going back to Middle Earth anytime soon.

/shoehorn

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SvayvtiSvayvti Member Posts: 160

Time travel starts touching on Tolkien's book the Lost Road.

With all the F2P players, they do need to do more for the lower levels. Especially to make it more rewarding for small groups (2-4 people) since so much of the content was developed for 6 man fellowships early on.

This is a good step in that direction.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

The toy mount was a viral pr

And the open tag system makes me want to roll tons of alts. My Minstrel will never ever reach the top level (have played lotro since soa was freash) :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by geremady

Rift is doing the same thing with their 2.1 update, a raid they chose not to release with the expansion because apparently people cant handle having 2 raids to choose from anymore.  This sort of thing isnt that rare.

I really like Rift but I agree with you about 2.1. Other than the updated Fae Yule event, which isn't really new, all of the content in 2.1 being added is stuff that I believe should have been in  on the release.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    It sounds to me as though Turbine has their development plans, schedules, and work well in-hand.  The so-called content locusts notwithstanding, it sounds like even I might be interested in returning, as long as I can actually fight my level 46 characters like level 46 characters, not acting like a character that should be four levels less, when at level 42 I was able to kick tail on level 47 bad guys.
  • GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    For me LOTRO is the best MMO out today. It offers everything from challenging raid, housing, dyes, a great story and everything in-between. The main thing that seperates LOTRO from the rest is the community. I cant count the amount of times I have been in a group and another player wasnt geared enough and made the dungeon very hard and nobody not once raged quit. You would think with F2p that would bring in the trash (there are some) but the community in whole doesnt tolerate them and does a great job to weed them out. Turbine ontinues to improve this game and I am glad to have been with the entire time.
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    For me LOTRO is the best MMO out today. It offers everything from challenging raid, housing, dyes, a great story and everything in-between. The main thing that seperates LOTRO from the rest is the community. I cant count the amount of times I have been in a group and another player wasnt geared enough and made the dungeon very hard and nobody not once raged quit. You would think with F2p that would bring in the trash (there are some) but the community in whole doesnt tolerate them and does a great job to weed them out. Turbine ontinues to improve this game and I am glad to have been with the entire time.

There was a pretty long 'dark' period for LOTRO after the freemium conversion where the content pace wasnt remotely acceptable.  After a two year wait RoI wasnt acceptable,but with update 6 and Rohan since then things are back on track.

The big issue right now is the cash shop.  It certainly has pay to win elements.  Turbine pointsare earnable in game and you get some with your sub, but theyve crossed the line that shouldnt have been crossed. Not gamebreaking atm, but they better melt the ice on that slippery slope fast.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

There was a pretty long 'dark' period for LOTRO after the freemium conversion where the content pace wasnt remotely acceptable.  After a two year wait RoI wasnt acceptable,but with update 6 and Rohan since then things are back on track.

The big issue right now is the cash shop.  It certainly has pay to win elements.  Turbine pointsare earnable in game and you get some with your sub, but theyve crossed the line that shouldnt have been crossed. Not gamebreaking atm, but they better melt the ice on that slippery slope fast.

I agree with some of the item should have a cap on them like deeds, and definitely should not be able to buy top legendary relics or crystals. Even with those its still not pay 2 win, your still missing a lot of major items to be pay 2 win.

I agree with some of the item should have a cap on them like deeds, and definitely should not be able to buy top legendary relics or crystals. Even with those its still not pay 2 win, your still missing a lot of major items to be pay 2 win.

Yeah I agree, as i said it has elements.  but its certainly not RoM where you are required to spend hundreds of dollars to be able to particpate in the top content or the other f2p games where your power is determined by your wallet and not what you have done in game.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

there is no way on earth this game is pay to win or even getting close.there is no grind at all really in this game apart from the odd deed.i have had nothing but fun playing this game.if peeps wanna buy out the shop i,m ok with that as well.i think those peeps are supporting the game so no complaints here.

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I dont play many MMOs anymore so I dont know if this is the norm, but I dont think stats and traits like virtues should be bought in a cash shop. In this game, it really doesnt have much effect since 99% of most players existence is spent soloing, in instances, with fast respawns, smaller player populations.... ie they arent affected by others as much. The new addition of buying crafting levels seems pretty lame tho. Along with the uproar over the hobby horse, I think they need to be careful not to get carried away with store items. Sometimes it seems just about every game item/feature is in the store to buy.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    what is "tapping"?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I used my hoarded points to buy ROR and the instance cluster they released a year ago.  My character hadn't completed the Great River quests so I went there first.  I got really bored and left after only gaining a level.  Nothing in ROR appeals to me as I'm more interested in Helm's Deep and going to Gondor and Mordor.  I'll eventually go back to hit the level cap and wait for the next expansion.
  • ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Oh look, more of the same old same old. More of the same boring mechanics; more quest hubs and endless instances that scale to any level.

Living world my rear-end, they continue to ignore any of the housing / crafting changes or any other system that would make the game feel like a 'living world' and not just a ridiculously casual (but pretty) adventure game.

Their art department remains good...which is about the only thing I still like about the game.

Originally posted by ericbelser

Oh look, more of the same old same old. More of the same boring mechanics; more quest hubs and endless instances that scale to any level.

Living world my rear-end, they continue to ignore any of the housing / crafting changes or any other system that would make the game feel like a 'living world' and not just a ridiculously casual (but pretty) adventure game.

Their art department remains good...which is about the only thing I still like about the game.

Housing I give you, it needs a revamp.  But crafting has been changed and is fun and the new system of mounted combat makes, at least for me, the world feel more alive.  My horse and fighting is very physics oriented, lending a very immersive experience to it all.  LOVE the quest hub hopping in Rohan because it feels very organic now and less go here come back 20 times, now it's go here and you complete it while your out there and oh, here's another few quests while your out there that auto complete when you finish them, hells yes.  this lets me focus on the storyline of each quest and the main storyline.  To each their own I guess.