Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unity 3D, viable MMO option or not?

NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLMember Posts: 1,288 Uncommon

With the popularity of the Unity 3D engine I was wondering how viable of an option would it be for small-scale online game development.

They've made vast improvements to their networking and multi-platform support.

I have no experience with Unity 3D but recently installed it once I saw the C# support. Let's see how it turns out.

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAMember Posts: 4,775 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    With the popularity of the Unity 3D engine I was wondering how viable of an option would it be for small-scale online game development. They've made vast improvements to their networking and multi-platform support.   I have no experience with Unity 3D but recently installed it once I saw the C# support. Let's see how it turns out.

Unity 3D is an excellent choice for an indy.

• anemoanemo Member Posts: 1,004 Uncommon

I really don't get these questions at all.   Are you asking for permission?

To be honest in most cases your limiting factors will almost never be an engine at the indy level(especially when it's something as close to the metal as graphics).  A few bad lines of code will do more harm than choosing a much much slower anything(language, engine, scripting support, model type, or any other silly thing).  Just work on it.

Or you're going to end up tiring yourself out because you choose a language you don't enjoy, or were spending more time learning than using.

Perhaps your team gets fractured from not understanding what everyone's goals were(student demo, versuses investment).  Perhaps your project lives a long time then when it comes to release you realize how messed up everything is since there's no clear ownership of anything(essentially becoming simpler to litterally delete everything and start over from a legal standpoint).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAMember Posts: 567

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=6c3946098163324906cd01e73379764b

Incase this link gets taken; Look up 3D Buzz Unity MMO class. Apparently it's very possible.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLMember Posts: 1,288 Uncommon

Just asking peoples' opinion on Unity3d. Has it been a viable option for them or are there some glass ceilings encountered early on during development? Does it feel constrained to mobile platform 3D development or does it have more untapped potential. The support seems to be amazing after going through the forums and fan-forums.

Personally I have used the XNA framework for quite sometime as a hobby to help out some friends with their indy company. I've been doing physic/particle engines, as well as network programming for online components. They are no longer using XNA and have moved on to a modified version of Orgre. Few of us spoke about giving Unity 3D a shot.

• GaendricGaendric Member Posts: 569 Uncommon

Unity is a versatile tool and you have a ton of options when you get to the networking part of your game. (Photon, Smartfox, Netdog, Lindgren, Badumna, etc...) 

Look through the networking forum on the Unity site, you will find a ton of info about possible solutions. Most likely one of them will suit your needs.

Unity has served me great so far, but I mostly make small-ish non-networked PC, web, iOS and Android ad games, so I am not an expert on MMOs with Unity. I would say get the free version and play around with it, Unity's workflow is not everyone's taste. But once you get the hang of it, it is quite nice for rapid development.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranMember Posts: 4,505 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gaendric
      Unity is a versatile tool and you have a ton of options when you get to the networking part of your game. (Photon, Smartfox, Netdog, Lindgren, Badumna, etc...)  Look through the networking forum on the Unity site, you will find a ton of info about possible solutions. Most likely one of them will suit your needs.

As this guy mentions there are lots of third party networking tools out there that are designed to MMOs and most of them plug directly into unity.

Do not try and use Unitys built in networknig for an MMO..

Also i think unity pro only supports headless mode so with the free version you will need to run a full blown client on the server.

Still your best resource for anything to do with unity is the unity forums :)

• IceltyIcelty Miami, FLMember Posts: 6
    I'm developing an MMORPG http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/746015392/emperors-forge using unity 3.5. Unity is great for development and fast prototyping, it does have as well built-in network capabilities but not really meant for an MMO, for that department I'm using Smart Fox Server Pro (evaluation version) and hope to raise enough money to buy the full version. Good luck to you :)