Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has NCsoft shut down a game of yours?

12346»

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Sure they are... Right along with Nexon, SOE and EA.... ^^ 
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Your "crusade" is bound to fail because two things seem to elude you:

• Boycotts don't work
    • Petitions sometimes work
    Boycotts tend to try to unify personal vendettas into a larger movement. But they always seem to ignore 3 key things: who they are targeting, who they are rallying and how long it would take. Gamers by nature (especially in mmos) do not work well together very often (see any mass PvP environment) and that comradery tends to erode very quickly the longer something drags out (see zergs). People just don't really care that much for someone else's problem. You'll have a core group of supporters, but that's about all. They (boycotts) offer no incentive for the companies they are going up against (obviously), nothing for those that have no horse in the race and nothing for those quite content with the company being targeted. And no one envolved really believes that if they get more people the company will change. For more recent references see:
    • BP
    • Chick-fil-A
    • Walmart
    • Fox News
    • Wall Street
    • Red states

Petitions on the other hand are more likely to work (in a way) because the goal is to get recognized by the target on a more scaled down level. To get a game released, to get a law changed, to get a product reintroduced. And the company at hand benefits as well as those that sign on. Also when others see petition they automatically assume it's for the greater good of something and are far more likely to attract people who actually enjoy helping others. For more recent reerences see:

• Xenoblade Chronicles
    • The Last Story
    • GTA 5 (pc)
    • God of War collection on bluray
    • Kickstart projects

Boycotts raise awareness of dirty practices which cause a mess in PR.

There was a petition, over 20k sigs. And that not only the game was making money, it had an active comunity, there where radios in more than a few servers, CoH players gave a lot to charity, etc. A lot of RPs going on, and you couldnt spend more than a couple of days playing without finding a group of friends that would welcome you.

So yeah, there you go.

CoH is just a game as much a as Hamlet was just a play, or the Bible just a book. True, the qualities of those things are  very different, but they did inspire people and thats really all that matters, isnt it?

if you are runing a bussiness and its profitable, why kill it and piss people off?

And im sorry if you believe that most people out there are self-centered jerks, i happen to have faith in human kind.

Raise awareness to what? A overseas gaming company making a decision to close down an aging superhero mmo that really didn't perform like they expected it to since they bought it from Cryptic Studios 5 years ago? Bought it, started a new studio called Paragon Studios in Cali and funded both development and distribution for 5 years?!? That's your dirty practice? Yeah ok...

You may think doing business overseas is cheap and you'd be right if we were talking about China or some 3rd world country were land and labor is cheap. But we're talking about a Korean gaming company doing business in America and trust me, that ain't cheap. I'm sure they are looking at their gaming porfolio and crunching numbers to see what stays and what goes as the prepare to release two more mmorpgs over here.

Look I empathize with your situation with letting go of something you've cherished and enjoyed for so long. But it's the end of a game, not the world. There is still Champions Online that is a fairly good CoX substitute. Like I said, those that wish to rally the torches and pitchforks need to pick their battles carefully less they find themselves being led by the village idiot.

BTW I'm one of the most optimistic people my friends and family know. I fix pcs for 20 bucks a pop, make websites for dirt cheap and would give you the shirt off my back. with approval from my wife of course But even I know that all good things come to an end. I've been on the recieving end of game shutdowns for a mighty long time and it's never easy. But you will recover. NCSoft is NOT the bad guys in this particular case.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

Raise awareness to what? A overseas gaming company making a decision to close down an aging superhero mmo that really didn't perform like they expected it to since they bought it from Cryptic Studios 5 years ago? Bought it, started a new studio called Paragon Studios in Cali and funded both development and distribution for 5 years?!? That's your dirty practice? Yeah ok...

You may think doing business overseas is cheap and you'd be right if we were talking about China or some 3rd world country were land and labor is cheap. But we're talking about a Korean gaming company doing business in America and trust me, that ain't cheap. I'm sure they are looking at their gaming porfolio and crunching numbers to see what stays and what goes as the prepare to release two more mmorpgs over here.

Look I empathize with your situation with letting go of something you've cherished and enjoyed for so long. But it's the end of a game, not the world. There is still Champions Online that is a fairly good CoX substitute. Like I said, those that wish to rally the torches and pitchforks need to pick their battles carefully less they find themselves being led by the village idiot.

BTW I'm one of the most optimistic people my friends and family know. I fix pcs for 20 bucks a pop, make websites for dirt cheap and would give you the shirt off my back. with approval from my wife of course But even I know that all good things come to an end. I've been on the recieving end of game shutdowns for a mighty long time and it's never easy. But you will recover. NCSoft is NOT the bad guys in this particular case.

They were losing nothing by keeping it alive, just making less money than they like to, now they are losing money and losing face, made a whole lot of people really unhappy.

So i really fail to see your logic. how did they make the right choice?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    All I know is if you have Windows 7 you cannot uninstall then reinstall Aion.  I got bored enough to try and play again and I can't.  So I'm thinking their dumbbutts.  I'm not thinking to highly of those who sold out to Pando torrent downloading either but that's everyone now.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint

They were losing nothing by keeping it alive, just making less money than they like to, now they are losing money and losing face, made a whole lot of people really unhappy.

So i really fail to see your logic. how did they make the right choice?

Pure speculation on your part. We don't know what they were losing. I do know about the Lineage 3 source code leak that caused them a loss in revenue this year, the terrible economy that saw video games sales declining for 12 consecutive months this year and I also know that out of the last 5 quarters that NCSoft has had, only one had outperformed the estimates. So they have been losing money well before they decided to close CoX and honestly it was an investment that didn't play off.

Look, recently Hostess shut down shop and people have to go without their Twinkies for the first time in 82 years. This effects MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people. A hell of a lot more than the few thousand effected by COX closing. And even though those two companies seemed to have ruined the lives of millions of people, NEITHER of them provided a necessity. And no matter how deeply you or I feel about it, they are/were both in it for the money. So even if they are losing face as you claim, I highly doubt anyone thought CoX was the face of NCSoft.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by xDrac
    [mod edit]

Given the time and effort involved in a typical MMO, its hardly surprising that people would react to this type of situation. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by xDrac
    [mod edit]

Given the time and effort involved in a typical MMO, its hardly surprising that people would react to this type of situation. 

Well, most people there played had over 10k hours logged in. But i think you fail to see the point...

Its not like they lost their monopoly, or a couple of dice and a players handbook. they actually lost an important part of their lives. It wasnt the game, it was everything that it entails.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I never got the NC Client to work...so no :)
  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm interested in seeing how many 'boycottncsoft' people will remember this mission when they buy their preorders of Wildstar and Blade & Soul.

It'll be pretty easy to avoid those games since they look pretty bad anyway.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Sort of like how many of my television shows were cancelled, and most of television now sucks...

I miss the days of good tv, lol... 

How many times have we lost awesome concepts for the same boring dull theme parks? For just how long can we all keep raiding and grinding gear over and over like robots?). 

Ahhh, its just a shame that we have yet to get a game better than the games of 15 or so years ago? Especially, nothing better than 7 or something years ago, since all we get are the same theme parks and never any sandboxes... 

Sure wish every failed company would be forced to sell their ip, so that someone else can restart it up, now that would be a dream... Why keep sitting on some old game that you cancellled ?? Sell it, make some money and make a new game, meanwhile some other company is putting their capital investment into fixing the game that you couldn't ... Seems like a win win to me...