Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Threats of Death and Violence

Well, it is the holiday season and I thought to get into the spirit of things. Lets see in my time posting here I have been threatened with death and graphic violence in real life fashion three times from strange posters soon banned. In each case my posts were rather innocuous to my amusement. Out of curiosity and just for fun I wondered how many threats of real life death and violence you have received on the forums here from other posters?

In my case, it happened in the SWTOR forums when some one lost all emotional control and I can’t remember the other forum here as it has been a while. How about you?

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Well, it is the holiday season and I thought to get into the spirit of things. Lets see in my time posting here I have been threatened with death and graphic violence in real life fashion three times from strange posters soon banned. In each case my posts were rather innocuous to my amusement. Out of curiosity and just for fun I wondered how many threats of real life death and violence you have received on the forums here from other posters?

In my case, it happened in the SWTOR forums when some one lost all emotional control and I can’t remember the other forum here as it has been a while. How about you?

I don't really go to any games forums, I've only ever posted here.  I don't think I've ever seen a death threat on these forums, though I'm sure if there was one it would be modded pretty quick and then we would see a thread about the censorship on the forums.  

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I can't believe I didn't ask this before, but what forums were you posting in that you ended up getting threatened?  Specific game subforums, the general forums?  What were the topics?  I'm just curious, as I haven't seen this before (though as I said in my previous post, I'm sure they would mod those posts fairly quickly and they would be easy to miss).

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Never - I don't take anything here seriously, as all threats here are hollow, no matter how serious they might sound. The vast majority of posters here are harmless nerds, most of them probably never have been in a real fight before in their life heh.

Betting on this. It's easy for many to act tough and run their mouths from the comfort of their home behind a computer screen.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I never recieved a death threat on these forums, but I have been harrased. T

I guess I been harrased a few times in private messages, and well yes even got a death threat on our guild forums, but never death threat from this site. let me edit this, and those 3 rear ends got the good old block user to them, that is why it is there to put them on ignore so all the stupid stuff they do just goes away. 

However I know one of the bloggers got several very real death threats after one of her blogs. 

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    If you're limiting it specifically to a game forum, then never.  I have been threatened in games, on blogs and on other non-game forums but never on a forum dedicated to games.  I'd never take it seriously anyhow.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I can't believe I didn't ask this before, but what forums were you posting in that you ended up getting threatened?  Specific game subforums, the general forums?  What were the topics?  I'm just curious, as I haven't seen this before (though as I said in my previous post, I'm sure they would mod those posts fairly quickly and they would be easy to miss).

Well, for the fond memories I went back into my posting history to find the SWTOR thread where the guy lost it with just really sick violence and death threat. Guy got banned and they have been edited but evidence remains later in the thread: Micheal Pachter is at it Again.

I am looking for others. Some things seem gone entirely like in one of the staff columns where a guy lost it. I have laughed over the nutcase stuff, but times I am not sure how I feel about it in that you post in a community per say. lol...

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I would have to question ones manhood if they were actually offended or scared of such things.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Alright, I am genuinely curious who rates more than 8 threats in their history here? Are you part of the staff? :)

I have never been frightened by any such thing. I kind of consider it a badge of pride per say. But I have asked myself on occasion, do I really want to post with people like that in the same way people measure community in games when deciding on an MMO. I know most of the community here is awesome though.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I dont post on forums to aggravate others on purppose so i have never got a death threat.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    I find it hilarious when people actually threaten you but it rarely happen these days. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No death threats on these forums, though I've received 3 very angry and vulgar PMS that resulted in permabans for their authors. Now in game it's been different, on two occasions someone has threatened to hunt me down and harm my family. (afraid to come after me I guess). Both of those instances were when I was a guild officer/leader and reprimanded or banned someone. One reason why I won't do that job anymore and like others have said, I am much more careful about what I share about myself and with whom.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I got a 'nonspecific' death threat years ago.   Lot of banning happened in that thread, including mine, lol.  Did I worry, naa.  People bla bla bla in the heat of the moment. 

You're more likely to get death threats on Xbox live.  I've had quite a few there.  Do I ever get worried.  Naa.  It's all part of the trash talk.  There's a lot of bad sports in the fps genre.

I had an insane patient threaten to put a bullet through my brain once if I didn't untie his restraints.  Did I worry, naaa.  Tied his restraints a little tighter and upped his ativan until he was a little more manageable.

Have I ever actually had a real life person try and kill me?  Yup.  Car jacking attempt.  Had to use deadly force.  Cost me a few grand just to hire an attorney to represent me at the preliminary hearing.  Never went to trial though: self defense.  My record is clean as a whisle, hehe. 

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I don't usually get that kind of behavior from gamers.  I think because games in general put people in a good mood.  I've seen suicide threats in other chats.  Some people are depressed, some are mentally ill and need help, and some are just having a rotten day.  I try not to provoke them further with trolling.  I just say once, "That's to bad, man."  Then leave that thread and go to another.  

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Too many e-thugs, not enough real thugs. 

You got those bullied in school, so they think they are tough on some forums and games.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I wondered how many threats of real life death and violence you have received on the forums here from other posters?

I (years ago) used to GM.  Thus (I would assume) almost certainly atypical, posting in the Blue Text (or Red or whatever your forum SW uses).  But — nada.  OfficialFace™ protects you from most of it.

Interesting--HTML can't handle an em-dash?  Back to le lame double hyphens, I guess.  Ah, there we go, thanks ucode.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

you have been warned OP.... ;D

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I think it should be said that if any of this stuff actually happens, contact MikeB or a mod and we'll get the matter looked into.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.