Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 soon 2013 where do you stand how you feel the years going by and the MMO market stagnated

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy, only a few dare to take another route and few of them did well (EvE for one)

So how do you feel about 2013 and onward do we get same old or do we really get something that hopefully get our craving back to play for months on end in the same game?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    There is like 3 FPS "space"  MMorpg's coming in the next couple years. I think 2013 will suck but 2014-2016 will be good years.

SNIP

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Torgrim
    We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy, only a few dare to take another route and few of them did well (EvE for one)So how do you feel about 2013 and onward do we get same old or do we really get something that hopefully get our craving back to play for months on end in the same game?

Honestly i think its dead. I think with the failures of swotor companies are gona say hey: "Were never gona reach that wow target subscriber number, its not worth the investment"

Apparently disco was huge in the 70's....why are there none today? somethings never recover.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• night_gamernight_gamer Member Posts: 22
    I think golden age of mmos are over... i think consoles will take over in gaming... and they are some times more social that mmos with all the new crazy online stuff.
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    People need to realize that there isn't going to be some massive revolution in MMO gaming, and things are going to remain familiar so long as it's safe from a business perspective. I'm fine with more high quality themepark MMO's that do a few things differently and do them well. Maybe it's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm not looking for some "virtual world" to "inhabit." I don't need some miracle MMO to come out that totally changes the genre. I'm fine with paying $60 for a box and playing for a month and putting it down until I feel like playing again. People that think the genre is stagnant and dying are basically MMO hipsters. The truth is that MMO's are more popular now than they ever have been before.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Nitth

We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy, only a few dare to take another route and few of them did well (EvE for one)

So how do you feel about 2013 and onward do we get same old or do we really get something that hopefully get our craving back to play for months on end in the same game?

Honestly i think its dead. I think with the failures of swotor companies are gona say hey: "Were never gona reach that wow target subscriber number, its not worth the investment"

Apparently disco was huge in the 70's....why are there none today? somethings never recover.

Disco will never die!!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Only got one thing on my radar that looks interesting coming out next year and its ESO. Other than that next year looks pretty empty for games.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Disco will never die!!

Butters!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Disco will never die!!

Butters!

Polka will never die!

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

2013 : more consoly fantasy themeparks shoved down our throats. Now with looping dynamic events. ("innovation")

I'll skip that year.

2014:  Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, World of Darkness

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    Companies are too busy trying to be WoW that no one wants to put the money in for anything actually new. Kickstarter seems the only reasonable way to get anything remotely new onto the market, and goiing that route incorparates the players into the production of the game far more then whatever company is padding thier wallet. I strongly believe Kickstarter funding will be the key to getting actually new ideas out there, it is just a matter of if any of the games coming out this way will big enough to get the media to take note, and make the big game companies follow.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    We all know your premise is wrong.

A "we" post! Are you royalty, sir?

On topic: All I'm curious for at the moment is how PS2 and EvE will "evolve". Ton of fun I'm having.

Oh, and Star Citizen, DUH!

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by FromHell

2014:  Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous,

I hope that aswell.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Actually mmo market in last 7 years did not stagnate.   Don't confuse mmo with mmorpg which is just a subgroup of mmo, just like apples are subgroup of fruits.

Mmorpg market on the other hand was much closer to stagnation, but also could not be called it stagnated. 

It was still changing. Just for me personally in almost opposite direction I would like. Basically detoriating.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    My hope lies in ArcheAge and Lineage 3...

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well improved this year, both gw2 and tsw got rid of the awful quest hub play that reached its nadir with swtor. Although ultimately the end game was still the same old same old.

Then planetside 2 came out, which is great, best mmo in bloody years.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    PC gaming as a whole is fine and growing rather well. So the claims that consoles are going to take over is absurd (and always has been). The MMO genre is stagnant and saturated with to many options, most of those options being the same thing wrapped up differently and regurgitated to the masses.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Overall my impression of 2012 was that it's simply more of the same.

My expectations of 2013 is... well...  more of the same.

I think what we're seeing is two different events of divergence from the MMORPG formula:

• MMORPGs are becoming more like SP games with an online mode.
    • MMORPGs are becoming more like console shooters.

Eventually the three will be indistinguishable and the MMORPG boom will have come to an end.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy 

We all know that? Really? I disagree.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Banquetto

We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy 

Even though you are wrong, you certainly can disagree. Likely the dark ages of MMORPGs will continue a few more years, but there does appear to be light on the horizon.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Here's looking forward to the Repopulaton, EQNext, and TESO (with a wary eye). In the mean team it's PS2. Atleast the nailed the mmo part of mmorpg. Maybe DFUW will take care of my rpg needs.

edit - don't sleep on Age of Wusu either. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by BanquettoOriginally posted by Torgrim

Even though you are wrong, you certainly can disagree. Likely the dark ages of MMORPGs will continue a few more years, but there does appear to be light on the horizon.

Who said anything about dark ages or light on the horizon? I was disagreeing with his statement about sameness, not any statement about quality.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

How on Earth did you manage not to notice the sea of stagnation that is this genre? This should be common sense after all of these years.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Having too much fun playing the Firefall beta to wonder if I will be playing Firefall next year. I'm not going to grovel. There are way too many REALLY good games out right now to care.

Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Banquetto   Originally posted by Torgrim We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy 
    How on Earth did you manage not to notice the sea of stagnation that is this genre? This should be common sense after all of these years.

There are more than 600 games listed on this site. If you only managed to notice the small number of high-profile "copy WoW and add one or two new ideas" releases like Rift and SW:TOR, and none of the others, I don't think you're in a position to accuse me of "not noticing" things.

• tablotablo Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by Torgrim We all know how the the MMO games are for the past 7 years pretty much the same copy 

There are more than 600 games listed on this site. If you only managed to notice the small number of high-profile "copy WoW and add one or two new ideas" releases like Rift and SW:TOR, and none of the others, I don't think you're in a position to accuse me of "not noticing" things.

To be fair, it isn't a small number of releases that have copied WoW. I also do not think he literally meant ALL the MMOs for the past 7 years are the same. I think he is talking about the general trend in the MMORPG genre specifically. Certainly no one seriously thinks literally all the MMOs are the same.