Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR to get rid of expertise in the near future !!

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

SWTOR plans to tweak endgame PvP balance

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/08/swtor-will-change-endgame-pvp-balance/

In an interview with fansite TORWars released last night, Senior Designer Rob Hinkle explained that one of the ways BioWare will attempt to make endgame PvP more fun in Star Wars: The Old Republic is by making the PvP stat (Expertise) equal across all sets of PvP armor.

Like many other MMOs with a focus on PvP, SWTOR has struggled with balancing the endgame PvP progression. Hinkle said in the interview that he frequently hears from players that they love level 10 to 49 PvP but are disappointed by their performance when they first log into endgame PvP. Hinkle described how the development team aims to make endgame PvP better by changing how Expertise will work in the "relatively" near future:

"Instead of Expertise being a stat that you're chasing as you're getting better and better PvP gear, all the PvP gear no matter what tier it is will have the same Expertise level. It's just the normal stats that will be getting better as you getting higher in PvP gear."
Although this change will not be fully implemented until after Update 1.6, Massively's latest Hyperspace Beacon has already scoped it out for your edification.

1.6 has been set for December 11th.  So.. could this mean that EA is drifting from it's WoW model with SWTOR?  Perhaps there might be hope for that game still?  holy cow.

/pinch-self

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

While I like the notion of "pregressing one's character" MMOs in general went a bit too much over the board with that. Either content is trivialized by outgearing/outleveling it or a semblance of PvP balance is gone by equipment disparities. Balancing the game thus becomes impossible.

Let's see with what game mechanic they'll come up with.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Yep, I was amazed as well. It seems that BW is showing signs of competence and creative thinking, which has not been the case so far.

Yesterday I also noticed that hiting mobs which were tagged by another player and grey to me, turned the mobs "active" for me and killing them granted me experience. It's either a bug, or someone has been playing GW2 in EA/Bioware offices.

If they manage to get Ilum running, they just might make the game worth the sub (for me).

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Karteli

"Instead of Expertise being a stat that you're chasing as you're getting better and better PvP gear, all the PvP gear no matter what tier it is will have the same Expertise level. It's just the normal stats that will be getting better as you getting higher in PvP gear."

Ordinary stats will affect PvE. The PvP stat is going to be the same no matter which PvP set you've got. Which carrot on the stick will be offered for the PvPers that need rewards for playing? Hopefully then only the "true" PvPers (players that do PvP for the sake of PvP) will participate in PvP and not the equipment farmers.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Good move by Bioware. PVP should not be decided by armor, but by the individual skill of the player in playing his character.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This is a sensible change. Especially good for anyone new to max and hoping for a chance to compete properly in PvP. Good move, other games would do well to copy this... especially WoW and Rift.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    I have been a very critical voice against swtor. But this change is for the better indeed.

There may be a chance for recovery. I applaud them and hopefully they execute this right.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I don't get it; why do you need the stat at all then?

Couldn't you just remove it altogether? 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It's about time.  It's a stat that doesn't belong any type of PVP.  The funny thing is, if you look up the definition of expertise you will see it says it's "skill or knowledge" which is something that you learn, not given by the form of a stat.  Lol the irony.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    This would be a great move by EA/Bioware. Maybe, just maybe, SWTOR will have a chance.
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Expertise was a stupid idea, just like it was in wow (resilience). We told them that in beta.

The mistake most MMOs make is with gear and stats, you end up with so much stat inflation it just gets silly and you are forever having to rebalance. Because classes end up doing much more damage, healing, or absorbing than they are supposed to.

1-49 pvp is more fun because gear has a much smaller impact, it feels much more balanced.  You don't get insta-gibbed and tactics are more important.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Zorgo

The game probably needs the extra damage boost in PvP so the fights don't take forever.  With games with pve and pvp, developers tend to build the game around pve first then tweak the classes for pvp at end game.

Even thou I don't play SWTOR I do agree with this move.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    And still the gear gap is huge.
    Originally posted by stayontarget

The game probably needs the extra damage boost in PvP so the fights don't take forever.  With games with pve and pvp, developers tend to build the game around pve first then tweak the classes for pvp at end game.

Even thou I don't play SWTOR I do agree with this move.

That's probably it....but still; wouldn't it be just as easy to have it automatically boost damage at a fixed rate when you are pvping? I mean without it being a gear stat?

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Few more dissapointments (same interview and not to open another topic):

- ilum (open world PvP) is definately not coming back, there will be some kind of event for a few days and thats it

- they are satisfied with class balance. unbelievable

- new WZ is just a deathmatch. With imbalances like in SWTOR it will be a disaster

- stunlocking is ok. rofl

- outlaws den stays as it was. empty space...that you can do what you want...except theres absolutely nothing to do there lol

- not even timeline for ranked WZs, they still have no clue what they want out of it...but when you look at the state of PvP it really isnt that surprising

- no sign of better matchmaking. So fully geared premades will continue to be pitted against noob pugs

- and, of course, EA signature statement for gazzilion things "we would definately want to see that". Well we would too but vaporware doesnt sell well these days im afraid

Its lolPvP in SWTOR

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

IMO, it is just a stat that helps prevent the PvE raider from dominating PvP in raid gear. Makes players that want to PvP have to get PvP gear for the stat. But decreases the diference between high end PvP gear and intro PvP gear. Just a guess though.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

This is good news, pvp fps problems, skill delay and pvp gear was hugh reason why i left in the 1st place. Not the only reason but if the pvp was  done better i would atleast have gotten a few months out of it instead of 2 weeks.

Doubt ill return, but it is good news for any new players that enjoy pvp.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Good to see some choices that are in the right direction coming out from them. Never liked any stat that only affects one side fo the game (pve or pvp wise.). Without a re-work to make the abilities basically function differently based on being used in pvp or pve content, and also making it that you can balance the abilties/clases solely on a pvp or pve base without trully afecting the opposingg side,  this is as good as we can hope for right now.

I would much rather see a system that shifts the diffience of stats between based on gear to being much closer, but that does not take out the affect that gear has on combat. In anythign you do the quality of your tools is just as important as how well you know how to use those tools. Two fighters that go at it if they are equal largely in all facts, it wil come down to how good is their equipment an who makes the first mistake.

Originally posted by artemisentr4

IMO, it is just a stat that helps prevent the PvE raider from dominating PvP in raid gear. Makes players that want to PvP have to get PvP gear for the stat. But decreases the diference between high end PvP gear and intro PvP gear. Just a guess though.

That makes sense - thx. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I can dig it. Good update. If you're going to have pvp gear, this might be a good way.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by theAsna

Ordinary stats will affect PvE. The PvP stat is going to be the same no matter which PvP set you've got. Which carrot on the stick will be offered for the PvPers that need rewards for playing? Hopefully then only the "true" PvPers (players that do PvP for the sake of PvP) will participate in PvP and not the equipment farmers.

Except that no "true pvper" plays the meaningless so called pvp that most themepark mmo's have. No consequences, no real reason to fight (ie no territory control, no resources to earn while deny to enemy). PvP in SWTOR is nothing but a minigame which is fine...for a sidebar, a minor distraction from what ever else you were doing.

They really should develop some real meaningful Sith Empire vs Republic pvp. Where being dumb and getting whooped costs you something. Where completely annilating your enemy benefits you and your whole faction.

Originally posted by DarkOmega

Except that no "true pvper" plays the meaningless so called pvp that most themepark mmo's have. No consequences, no real reason to fight (ie no territory control, no resources to earn while deny to enemy). PvP in SWTOR is nothing but a minigame which is fine...for a sidebar, a minor distraction from what ever else you were doing.

They really should develop some real meaningful Sith Empire vs Republic pvp. Where being dumb and getting whooped costs you something. Where completely annilating your enemy benefits you and your whole faction.

That depends on the meaning of the "true pvper" being used. Here it is that a true pvper is someone that plays the game just for pvp action or for bragging rights, while non-true pvper use it merely for a side activity when pve gets boring. While in your version a true pvper is someone that pvps for real advantages in the game for their side in a open evolving struggle against the opposing fact or group of players. Both are actually correct as both are used to split two differing sides of pvp group players really. Pvp is merely the act of fighting other players regardless of the area or field, and reasons you fight the other player.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Don't think it will happen, but it would be nice to see a planet dedicated to that type of PvP.

A neutral planet with PvE mobs controlling everything. A base of operations, strongholds, manufacturing plants, areas rich in materials. All to be captured by a faction and defended with benefits as you say. Dreaming of course, but it would be nice to see real faction fighting.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Honestly i think it would need to be more wise spread for it to work. As  a single world that have capture poiints, and such could be locked down by one group or faction. Now if you spread those out making it that you would need to send a sizable force to several worlds to keep control of them, and so also thin out your ranks compared to sending a trully huge group to a sigle world wouldallow another faction to slip in an take one or more . To me this would also in ways give a more galatic feel to the war/pvp, since it would be so wide spread, and game encompaces really. Like how in a war like that it is spread out over many systems, worlds, and such.
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Don't think it will happen, but it would be nice to see a planet dedicated to that type of PvP.

A neutral planet with PvE mobs controlling everything. A base of operations, strongholds, manufacturing plants, areas rich in materials. All to be captured by a faction and defended with benefits as you say. Dreaming of course, but it would be nice to see real faction fighting.

Open world pvp died the moment  they released Legacy system. And theres no hope for Illum. Game became pure pve. So what the point for any dedicated pvper to play swtor?

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

The idea behind expertise, for those unable to grasp the concept, is to prevent people walking into pvp in high end pve gear & bushwhacking pvp'ers, & that is why it should stay, if you don't get why then you need to do some cognitive growth.

I think this is a good decision, more "horizontal progression" rather than vertical, would be a good move for a theme-park game, if they can grow some more systems-based gameplay & sandbox elements into the game it will develop into a much more rounded & fulfilling game I think.