Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know why AoC never really took off?

I played this game and had 5 level 80's and tbh I had a great time of it with my friends.  I didn't quit because of the game, I quit because it became a ghost town.  

It seemed to offer a lot of things that people here on these forums are begging for.  The first few levels were linear but after that, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted.  The graphics were good, the story was good imo.  

I liked the different combat style -- it was frustrating at first but tbh a challenge, at least for me.  

Just wondering why this game never really became successful.  

Comments

• mothefomothefo Member Posts: 30

back at launch it was highly anticipated game as one of the most graphically dazling, mature rated, low fantasy, innovative mmo (combos). sadly the launch was pretty horrendous. there were a ton of bugs, server stability was abysmal, you would litteraly crash every hour and then have to go through a lengthy client repair process. Trying to finish any instance with friends was almost impossible. lag was horrendous for most people too as the optimization was really bad. class imbalance was retarded with people stacking enchanting gems and one shotting everyone.......it was really frustrating and a lot of people left.

it really took a good 2 years before AoC was in  a good playable state, but by then many had written it off as a piece of crap.

i myself played at the beginning but left for about a year. when i came back it was great fun. AoC is still one of the best looking, low fantasy mmos. however, the heavy instacing, combo system, and resource hog engine it's not for everyone. a great game imo that everyone should at last try.

why did i leave?

i disliked the heavy instancing. i disliked the heavy dispaity in gear especially in pvp. the combo system was never my favourite aspect of this game, i found it just a bit too complicated to be incredibly fun. Getting pvp levels back then was insanely hard. i wanted to siege but in order to siege you had to be part of one of the big guilds on the server, of course the big guilds had a lot of people and you would only be selected if you had amazing gear ,as spots for sieges were limited, so i rarely got picked. My computer was never fanzy enough to run this game at it's optimum so i suffered from quite a bit of lag.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    For me it was lack of content after Tortage.  I was bored out of my mind trying to grind to 80.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by allendale5

I played this game and had 5 level 80's and tbh I had a great time of it with my friends.  I didn't quit because of the game, I quit because it became a ghost town.  

It seemed to offer a lot of things that people here on these forums are begging for.  The first few levels were linear but after that, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted.  The graphics were good, the story was good imo.  

I liked the different combat style -- it was frustrating at first but tbh a challenge, at least for me.  

open pvp game. alot of people can't stand this.

and those who claim they can usualy are just trying to show off...

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    For me it was lack of content after Tortage.  I was bored out of my mind trying to grind to 80.

Agreed, there werer times, like lvl 40 to 50, that you were left without a single quest and you just had to grind it out. It got better with time. The second reason is that it gave you this amazing experience from lvl 1 to 20 and than took it away. Made the rest of the game seem cheap.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    It was massive at launch, sold over 1 million boxes on day one. Today, AoC is an incredible game, the only themepark game you will ever see me give any props to. At launch, it was a buggy laggy, feature cut mess.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Thane

open pvp game. alot of people can't stand this.

and those who claim they can usualy are just trying to show off...

Only on PvP servers. The PvE servers have allways had a higher pop.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

It was unpolished, unfinished, had severe stability and performance issues and the quality of PvE content took a nosedive after Tortage. And personally while the melee combat was something new, the casters were horribly boring. The whole skills sytem with its Fireball 1, 2 & 3... was also very arcaic and unimaginative. Builds and character development were rather bland aswell. Additionally, the game hadn't delivered all the features advertised, which is a big no-no.

It shouldn't come as a surprise why it didn't "take off".

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Apart from the bugs and UI design nightmare where chat was a nightmare, group finding a drag, the travelleling was just far to slow.

Fighting was boring with dungeons just consisting of endless hitpoints mobs with ZERO boss mechanics, so you just ended up piling the entire group on top of each enemies, endlessly beating away while bitching about how crap the game was until an enemy that looked no different from the rest was dead and you had "won".

Crafting was just plain bad.

When fighting bigger enemies and you pulled a fatality move, the enemy would shrink to your size to match up the animation.

Small zones/instances. Constantly being send all over the place.

And the whole combat mechanic was just plain retarded. No skills, instead having to hit multiple buttons instead to fire skills. Oh so novel! "Save us from button masher games Funcom! By giving us MORE buttons to mash", screamed twitch games and then failed to play the game.

It wasn't that the idea itself was so bad, but with normal mobs, it was quicker to ignore the silly mechanic and with thougher enemies, it was pointless as you were never in any danger other then dying from boredom. 

The game final error was to try to appeal to PvP crowd. That is a fickle crowd and a crowd that demands a PERFECTLY balanced game. AoC was not well balanced, this resulted in nerfs, upsetting the PvE crowd.  The PvE crowd was let down after the tutorial city and the PvP crowd was let down by all the missing elements.

That killed the game. The lesson to be learned is that you GOT to deliver a finished game with a clear goal and fun combat.

Shocker eh?

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44

OP i felt the same as you my guild transfered to rift when it launched and was too depressing with no one around

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

One word  "combos"

The unrulely button wasting combo system was the complaint I heard from most everyone I knew that played and quit.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Because it was half finished, you left tortage and couldn't get by on quests alone. The siege was broken at start and never really fixed too.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Short version: disastrous start of an incomplete game.

- Crafting was buggy/not implemented

- seiges were not working/inplemented

- missing content after tortage

---> many players left, game over.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh also it really sucked performance wise, even worse than swtor.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    For all of its faults it was a good game, I was left with the feeling of what could have been.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        I never even saw what people thought was so great about Tortage......I thought the game was garbage period.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Game launched and the first 20 levels were polished,...they there were bugs, but the end game was nadda.  The pvers had nothing, and the pvpers basically just had pvp where everyone was red to one another, no sieges, or reason for the fight.  They added stuff later, but in todays market...you can't launch like that.  If you at least say the game isn't done, you can I guess...but they hadn't even addressed anything in the future for the game.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i left after it was soon released because i just kept crashing all the time..but i kept it in my system because i knew it would be playable at some point.since release i have played in on and off..most i played it was for 18 month non stop..it turned out to be a fantastic game..people claim they dont like the instancing in the game..me personally i dont let things like that bother me..at least when funcom do dungeons they do exceptional ones.all in all a fantastic game that deserves more of a population than it has.graphically brilliant,dungeons are brilliant,classes are excellent..well worth a year of anyones time unless ofc you have some kind of beef with funcom..loads of peeps dont like them,i think they are one of the best game makers out there.but thats just my opinion,others will differ.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Quite simpe... it wasn't ready to be launched.

These days, with the amount of competition in the MMO industry, you only have one chance of making a good impression, and that is at launch (well, there's also a second chance on the F2P launch, but depends heavily on the impression that the actual launch made in the first place). When AoC launched, it just wasn't complete. Lots of features that were listed on the box weren't implemented, including big things like raids and sieges that were huge selling points for the game (I remember funcom reps stating in the forums that they didn't believe that people would get to those as fast as they did), and some of them (like drunken brawling) were just never added to the game at all, lots of quests were buggy or badly implemented, and there were at least two points during the game where you ran out of quests and had to either grind mobs or the villas (solo dungeons that scaled with level) over and over for like 6 or more levels until you were high enough for the next quests area, and the PvP servers became huge gankfests because there was no consequence of killing lower level characters, and the game spawned the players in the zones before they finished loading in their computers, and since spawning and res points were heavily camped, you usually just finished the loading dead without any chance of fighting back (later they implemented a temporary invulnerability when loading into a zone or ressing), not to mention that the ranged magic using characters had a huge advantage when it came to PvP because of the combo system.

Most of those issues were fixed in the months following the launch, new questing areas were added to aleviate the leveling gaps, most bugs were fixed, and actually by the time I returned to the game (after it went F2P) it was in a very good shape and very fun... but by then the damage was done, most of the players had already left and the game (and funcom as well) had gotten a bad reputation, that followed them all the way to TSW.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

1) Never supported the strong part of the game (pvp)

2) Bad ideas which took months to implement in a wrong way (Bori)

3)Bugs

4) Lag

5) Lack of imagination and vision

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

well i played it from beta for about 2 years and i had alot of fun in the game but in the end they ( funcom ) really screwed up.

first off yeah it could be buggy and yeah after tortage it was the same old quest hub threw zones but it was still alot better than all these other themepark MMOs who offer no difference in playstyle.

but what really was dumb was the fact that the game was just to easy to level up in. it was easy to hit level 80 with little effort you could grind there in a week. then once you hit 80 what do you do? can only raid so many times that shit is boring IMO. and the sieges were broken. pvp became sit in kesh and duel or you would get group fights that just went back and forth between 2 spawn pads......boring....

cant say this enough, if these games are going to make it so easy to level up then they need to make sure they have stuff for max level players to do. so many people cry and complain about leveling up in these games, but for me in conan that was the best part. i was on a pvp server and we battled everyday for leveling spots. that made the game fun.  being max level made the game boring.

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

It died when they came out with horse racing instead of a new pvp map.....

Sincerly Talketzanto - 50k + kills.....RIP

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Shitty PvP and average PvE with semi-interesting combat and with really nice GFX. But the latter did not keep players for the long run. Gameplay is always the most important and in this game, it was lacking.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes i think i know why.....

The itemization in the game was done really poor.I never felt like my gear meant anything at all and that in a time when so many were totally gear minded above game play.The stats used on gear was laughable,i remember having gear that had stats like 0.1 or 0.2,i thought WHY even bother at all?

Also the game at MANMY situations felt like a single player game,the very problem most thought would happen when a developer does not understand MMO game play.Houises locked out ,until you finish certain quests,NPC inactive until certain quests ect ect.The start of the game was a linear path you MUST follow,that is NOT a wide open MMO worldy feel.

ON a whole the game world was nice,the graphics nice,the combat so-so,it just did not put in the finishing effort to make the game epic.The guild supplies was a copy idea from otehr games,would be nice to add their own touch.Of course the other common problem ALL these games have is that LINEAR questing,that si what makes it feel like a single player game,NOT a MMO.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

At launch, after level 40, there was a good 20-30 level gap where there was no content.  No quests, no story, nothing.

They claimed that PC villages would be able to have NPC raids that would be dynamic and fun for all.  Only about a month or so after release did they tell anyone that they never added it.

PvP at release was non-existent.

It was just a trainwreck all around.  It remained that way for a good long time after release too.  They could have salvaged some of the game with a rapid response, but it never came in time.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by sfc1971

The game final error was to try to appeal to PvP crowd. That is a fickle crowd and a crowd that demands a PERFECTLY balanced game. AoC was not well balanced, this resulted in nerfs, upsetting the PvE crowd.  The PvE crowd was let down after the tutorial city and the PvP crowd was let down by all the missing elements.

Very much this.

I'm a Howard fan, so  I didn't mind the bugs, instances or the simple crafting at the launch, the world was enough. The combo system and the classes were great for me even. That's why when Funcom started to f**k up the classes one by one just to please the constantly-whining, <imagine here lot's of words which a mod would edit> pvp'ers, I first only complained, then left. It was 'funny' to read after every patch note, that you (the majority) have to re-learn your classes, because the lowly bunch (who were 1/3 of the playerbase, tops) whined on forums about balance and op classes...

Ofc I went back a few months later because I missed Hyboria :) Then left again after the Rise of the Grindbringer... But still going back a few times in a year for 1-1 month to play a bit, and it still is one of my favourite games. And Crom has a nice population since today.