Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting discussion....

AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60

I saw the MMOFTW for this week and it brought up the discussion of depth in crafting.  I really enjoy crafting in any games that I play, and always have had an affinity for creating my own gear/weapons, etc.  Something about being self sufficient and helping others that has always resonated with me, and I always took on that role in any guilds that I was in.

That being said, I am creating a pen and paper/online RPG hybrid (like Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, etc) and I want to have a very robust crafting system.  The game itself will EVENTUALLY be fully online, but the crafting system will be part of the pen and paper piece of it as well. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think are important parts of a crafting system for a game that you'd like to see.  It will help me develop a more robust system that players will enjoy and feel rewarded by.  I already have some unique ideas that I have not seen done before that I am excited to put in my game but also want to take into account how the players will view and use the crafting system to make it even more personally rewarding.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback, I will defintiely respond as I can today.

-Ab

Comments

• GazthSonikaGazthSonika Member Posts: 20

The basis for any good crafting system, is a good harvesting system with a variety of items to harvest or collect, with ranging quality levels and different extraction methods.  That is followed by a pleasant UI for the crafting system and the ability to mix and match ingredients to create your own custom products.  Ryzom really does this exceptionally well.  I didn't play the game for too long due to other issues, but I do remember how much fun the crafting system really was.  I'm hoping The Repopulation can make something equally good.

GS

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72
    Each crafting profession needs to be unique and have a reason to exist. The more self-sufficient each person is, the less interaction occurs. Crafting and commerce, when done right is the most interactive part of an MMO.
  • AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by GazthSonika

The basis for any good crafting system, is a good harvesting system with a variety of items to harvest or collect, with ranging quality levels and different extraction methods.  That is followed by a pleasant UI for the crafting system and the ability to mix and match ingredients to create your own custom products.  Ryzom really does this exceptionally well.  I didn't play the game for too long due to other issues, but I do remember how much fun the crafting system really was.  I'm hoping The Repopulation can make something equally good.

GS

I agree, my game does have a harvesting system (from things in the world itself and from the things you kill).  I don't believe in the premise that most games take where you kill a creature and they drop things they aren't wearing or wielding.  My game uses the caveat of if they are wearing or carrying it, you can loot it.  And above that, you can "deconstruct" the things you kill for more materials.  So most of the armor and weapons that are used in the game will be crafted.  So this way pure crafters who don't wish to venture out and do quests or kill things, can stay back and just craft to their hearts' content and feel validated.

There is also a focus on "mixing and matching" as you reference above, with a heavy focus on trial and error, mix 2 ingredients and see what comes out of it, if anything.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this, I thought no one was going to weigh in at all.

-Ab

Originally posted by VendettaDFA
    Each crafting profession needs to be unique and have a reason to exist. The more self-sufficient each person is, the less interaction occurs. Crafting and commerce, when done right is the most interactive part of an MMO.

Totally agree with you, every profession in my game is unique, complete with the "tools" that you need to use to create the items.  As I stated in my reply to GS, being that the game is very rewarding to crafters, it will promote a lot of commerce with players either sharing their mats with crafters to make them something, or doing it themselves and selling it on the market.  Either way, a good crafter can have a lucrative business if done right  :)

Thanks for the feedback.

-Ab

Originally posted by GazthSonika

GS

You mention above about a pleasant UI.  This is at the heart of what I'm trying to do since the game will be online fully (eventually), but the crafting system will be online at launch (via a website).  What elements of the UI would you most like to see?  What is important to show you as a crafter?