Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does a sexy beautiful animated woman in a game's advertisement mean the game will be aweful?

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

Every absolutely aweful game I wish I didn't install seems to have ads all over the internet with absolutely gorgeous sexy avatars that don't even exist in the game world.  What kind of false advertising is this?

I just wanted to vent that, thanks.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Simple solution:  Look at in-game screenshots, not ads.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
        Hehe yeah but it made games like Evony millions....theres alot of lonely males on the internet and sex definitely sells.
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    I don't mean that the ads trick me into playing, usually after I've already played and quit I start seeing the ads and I'm like REALLY? I played that game and I didn't see HER!!!!
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    No, Marketing and game development are two separate groups in most companys
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    Not necessarily, but if marketing feels the need to come up with ads that have nothing whatsoever to do with the game, that's not a good sign.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I like looking at pretty things.  Even sexy things.  But I am so jaded and pay so little if any attention to the ads.  But I do look at ingame gameplay screenshots/videos.  Next I look at feature set.  I suppose I should reverse that, but as an artist and someone who is very interested in aesthetics and escapism, looks matter.  SWG is the baseline...anything that looks that good or better is just fine, but ugly is unacceptable to me.
  • vonslashavonslasha Member Posts: 31
    you have been reading my mind!! just didnt wanna sound sexest. but it is true!
  • HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    Usually it just means they didn't try very hard on the game, so most of the time it will be somewhat sub-par.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I think a game advertisement should in some way make you want to play the game.

So to me, one that clearly shows off a neat feature, or relates a new expansion launch is good.

And to me, one that shows off nothing but maybe the name of the game, and the size of a female anime chick's... feature set, then I don't feel interested in playing that game.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

You know... I never really considered that possibility. But now that you mention it, just about every game with such ads has been a piece of a crap. (I say "just about" in case there is one I can't think of that was decent.)

I doubt it's actually indicitive of a bad game, but ironically it does seem almost true when you think about it.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    it just means in many cases its an asian game. In that case, no, not ever one means that. There are plenty of games out there that are really good that do exploit it, its just sadly a very popular advertisement technic to attracted male gamers.
  • HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    Best example of putting a fairly hot girl on the cover of an actually good product was Firiona Vie for Ruins of Kunark Expansion in EQ. And she is more in the background, was a major part of the game, and the Expansion was great.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    You can often use this same rule of thumb for judging video game reviewers/columnists, too.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Games, pro-wrestling, comic books, teen novels and best sellers, pop reality shows, Twilight, all of it is trash entertainment that sells sex and violence. I enjoy it. As to false advertising, well what classic B movie doesn’t have a DVD cover that manages to be completely unrelated to the movie footage? ;)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Haruto
    Best example of putting a fairly hot girl on the cover of an actually good product was Firiona Vie for Ruins of Kunark Expansion in EQ. And she is more in the background, was a major part of the game, and the Expansion was great.

LOL! That is the exact example I was going to use. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    So a few things. To answer your initial question, inherently no, but most of the time yes. Second, why are you looking at an ad to judge whether a game is going to be good? Especially with things like google and youtube.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

Every absolutely aweful game I wish I didn't install seems to have ads all over the internet with absolutely gorgeous sexy avatars that don't even exist in the game world.  What kind of false advertising is this?

I just wanted to vent that, thanks.

You mean like the Woman on the Everquest 1 and 2 boxes and advertisements? many people would disagree with you that Everquest is a "Absolutely Awefull game"

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Not necessarily, but if marketing feels the need to come up with ads that have nothing whatsoever to do with the game, that's not a good sign.

hahhah good point.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

Why have "sexy" avatars?

Because companies think all gamers are basement dwelling under sexed virgins that fap to pixels. I guess people like me that are late 20s-30s and married and just enjoy gaming are greatly overlooked.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Axehandle

Why have "sexy" avatars?

Because companies think all gamers are basement dwelling under sexed virgins that fap to pixels. I guess people like me that are late 20s-30s and married and just enjoy gaming are greatly overlooked.

That's not really true. Hot women sell. Sex sells. It isn't just this demographic. Look at Hooters.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by Axehandle

Why have "sexy" avatars?

That's not really true. Hot women sell. Sex sells. It isn't just this demographic. Look at Hooters.

Hooters is a terrible product. I'd say 1/50 girls are pretty the rest are plain and have push up bras. The food is ordinary to mediocre. I understand what you're saying but I guess simple things please simple minds.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Haruto

Keith Parkinson, RIP image

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
        Just look at Age of Conan...The biggest selling point of the game is "Hey we have female breasts!"...
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    It seems the more tits and ass in the cover art the less the game has to offer.  It mostly offends me that men do not have costumes in equal to women.  I'll play a crappy game with "girlish" male sex appeal over a really good game with juggling breasts and hulk males.  So the tits and ass did not sell for me.