Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to the feeling?

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience. 

I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Its not the same the second time, or the third, or the fifty-second.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Quirhid

But for different games it should be. The same game it's understandable to feel you just recycled through but a new world should always make it feel special to journey through it.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

I feel like leveling in most games should be much, much slower...

Lineage II will always stay the best MMO for me.

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Guess it depends on the person?

I felt much more into the character and stuff when I reached cap on SWTOR over WoW (just for example).

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Anyone whos ever done drugs will understand how this works, if not with their mind then with their body and videogames are no different in that way.
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Anyone whos ever done drugs will understand how this works, if not with their mind then with their body and videogames are no different in that way.

Cryptic.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Axehandle

Remember the first time that you hit max level on some of the older mmorpg titles you felt so accomplished because the journey was epic. From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful but now games like swtor the journey was just an obstacle to overcome and not really an enjoyable part of the experience. 

I want that feeling back in games. That pull factor that kept you logging on each day and playing for hours because your goal was to get a few more levels in and really immerse yourself in the world.

When you hike a mountain for 14 hours in harsh conditions and you finally get to the top you will feel accomplished.

If you get there on ropeway then you won't feel that way.

Originally posted by fenistil

When you hike a mountain for 14 hours in harsh conditions and you finally get to the top you will feel accomplished.

If you get there on ropeway then you won't feel that way.

Good analogy.

Thats the problem, too many games are giving the players "ropes" to help them climb to the summit.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

This. ^

Or, the way I would have put it is, you can only do something for the first time once.

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by xDrac

I feel like leveling in most games should be much, much slower...

Lineage II will always stay the best MMO for me.

I agree with the level speed. Slow is better. In my early days of mmos, (the realm and eq 1) I never hit level cap. I played eq1 for years and never maxxed out. Not to be cliche, but it was the journey not the destination. Now its a rush to max out and grind gear for the rest of your days until you get bored... 

Originally posted by Quizzical

This. ^

Or, the way I would have put it is, you can only do something for the first time once.

Right, but different games are by their very nature different. The first time you hit level cap in wow does not mean the journey to level cap in swtor is marginalized because you already did it in a different game.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

This. ^

So, why ever read another book, or watch another movie ever again?  Sports players who win the ultimate championship usually are just as hungry and content the second,third, every other time.  Why?  Because the journey is usually somehow different, fraught with different challenges and experiences to reach the end.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

This. ^

Right, but different games are by their very nature different. The first time you hit level cap in wow does not mean the journey to level cap in swtor is marginalized because you already did it in a different game.

But with the mmo genre so many games are nearly identical so that ends up being the case, doesnt it?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Accomplished? That is just an illusion. I remember when i first hit max level at EQ ... and i was amazed how silly i was wacking the same mob (abate with others) again and again for hours, so that a number gauge will move a little. The combat wasn't even that much fun.

Glad that kind of days are over.

When i started to play WOW (around BC), leveling was much faster and you don't have to play a week before you can see any discernable change in abilities or equipment.

It is your perogative to play a game at a glacier pace ... but count me out.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

This. ^

It depends on how similar it is.  Doing something stupid a zillion times to grind out levels is pretty similar, no matter what the "something stupid" is.  If that gave you a feeling of accomplishment the first time, then perhaps the issue is that it doesn't take that long to realize that that's a silly thing to feel accomplished over.

The trouble with having so many WoW-clones is that from playing previous ones, you're mostly familiar with a new one the moment you pick it up.  If you're 90% of the way to being sick of a "new" game the moment you first log in, that kills off a lot of fun that the game would have been otherwise.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I lack this sense of accomplishment as well.

I still haven't hit max level in EVE :P

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Accomplished? That is just an illusion.

Whole game is an illusion.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful

The fact that you used the already accelerated WoW as opposed to the real grind EQ, immediately dilutes your sentiment.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        The journey is no longer greater than the destination like it used to be.
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

It's not just you, but i feel that unfortunately a lot of us have been playing for so long that it just won't occur again.  Although, i will admit, i'm getting a little bit of that tickle right now while playing Rift's expansion and i really didn't expect that.  It is very similar to the feeling i had while playing Burning Crusade in WoW.  Everyone's experience with this feeling is as different as the games that they happened in, but i think it might be possible to get that feeling again, it just may not be as intense as it used to be.

It's like winning a state championship in football for your team back in high school and then watching your son do the same thing 20 years later.  It's kind of similar in feeling, but not the same.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    The second time or any time afterwards will never feel as good as the first time.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Skymourne

It's not just you, but i feel that unfortunately a lot of us have been playing for so long that it just won't occur again.  Although, i will admit, i'm getting a little bit of that tickle right now while playing Rift's expansion and i really didn't expect that.  It is very similar to the feeling i had while playing Burning Crusade in WoW.  Everyone's experience with this feeling is as different as the games that they happened in, but i think it might be possible to get that feeling again, it just may not be as intense as it used to be.

It's like winning a state championship in football for your team back in high school and then watching your son do the same thing 20 years later.  It's kind of similar in feeling, but not the same.

I think several such fathers would be absolutely thrilled to have that happen, happier than they could have dreamed.  You know, American dream, better life for children, etc. 

Originally posted by Velocinox

From my experience the first time I hit max level in wow I was thrilled to have achieved something so meaningful

The fact that you used the already accelerated WoW as opposed to the real grind EQ, immediately dilutes your sentiment.

What's your point?

Because I didn't play EQ I'm not worthy of an opinion on leveling?

Are you the overseer on what members get to have opinions on?

You might want to check your bias attitude at the door and realize others experienced different things from you and that doesn't "dilute" their experience by any means.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

I think several such fathers would be absolutely thrilled to have that happen, happier than they could have dreamed.  You know, American dream, better life for children, etc. 

Oh i agree, i wasn't saying it was a bad thing.  I was using it to give emotional imagery.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Oh i agree, i wasn't saying it was a bad thing.  I was using it to give emotional imagery.

Well, I just mean if for instance my son did something similar to that, I'd be happier then than when I myself did it.  Just thought it was kinda the opposite for me at least from what you were trying to say.