Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Just got done watching the VGA's and Guild Wars 2 was not even mentioned.  

What's that?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Warband
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.

I don't know where you get your information from, but GW2 is still the top selling MMORPG on Amazon, and the boxed version is still in the top 5 PC games sales too there. And that's only the boxed version, and only on Amazon.

Don't confuse what you think (or hope) is happening and reality.

Dang, I must resist quoting Icewhite's post again now...

I get my information from company press releases and official comments.

Diablo 3 :  6.8M as of July (latest official figures)

Guild Wars 2 : 2M as of Sep (latest offically verified figures) 

Those numbers don't have to be perfect to see that Diablo 3 is doing significantly better than GW2.  I'm not saying this to bash GW2 or anything and, as I explained in other posts, it's not the end all be all of how well a game is doing (I posted some xFire numbers that were in favor of GW2 later).

So stop assuming that anything negative I say about GW2 must mean I'm simply imposing my opinion on the matter.

Lol are you seriously comparing gw2 to dablo 3, not even Wow, or Sc2 sold that amount in retail in the period of time that diablo 3 did. In fact that 's more than the majority of multiplat releases. Your basically comparing it to the one the best selling probably currently ever in that period of time PC release. It's like comparing borderlands or even halo 4 to call of duty. They're not in the same ball park and that's not a bad thing as they are still successful,

Uh, last I checked, this is about the top game of 2012, and diablo 3 is a game and it was released in 2012 right?

This award is a total joke, and any of you that think GW2 deserves it are out of your freakin minds.  Yes, it's possible to like the game, to think it's good, and NOT be completely delusional in thinking it's the top game... fark.

Good thing some of us don't automatically assume a game is good just because it sold. Blizz is one of the most successful developers and the way they market, as well as the incentives they offer to their huge playerbase to buy another of their products, is more reasons the game sold as well as it did , because it definately wasn't by word of mouth. Yes D3 was a game of 2012, but it was one of the worst I played. Opinions will vary. On the flip side, GW2 was the best game I played with Skyrim coming in second. I know Skyrim was released in 2011 but I didn't play it until 2012 so I'll throw it in there. Like any award take it with a grain of salt. Like I posted before, when a game gets it's dues, it was a hoax or let's just attack the  people giving the award.. sad...  

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Hmm...I'd go back and forth between TSW and GW2 for best MMO for different reasons, but I wouldn't give either one game of the year. But of course, I wasn't the author of the article. 

Grats to ArenaNet for winning over some big named people and impressing them with your well made game.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Also noted that they include Torchlight 2 and not Diablo 3. Very good call.

I'm surprised D3 wasn't on there.  I didn't think it was that bad, but then again, i only tried the beta.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by RizelStar

What's that?

Spike's Video Game Awards. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Draron

What's that?

Oh okay Spike's, like I figured VGA meant Video Game Awards but there are so many I didn't know which one.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

The best video game released this year was just released this week. To bad Far Cry 3 was delayed, it would have swept every award for 2012.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Congrats Anet! You deserve this for such an innovative and well thought out game! No game is perfect, but you have changed the genre for the better.
  • GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I actually found Diablo 3 very disappointing, and lazy. Once you take away the blizzard+fanboy hype, Torchlight 2 is a better game in the exact same genre. Torchlight 2 is on that list.

The thing is, I don't think you can call one single game "the best game of 2012".

There's too much difference between genres. Comparing apples and oranges really.

Angry Birds and Skyrim are not even remotely similar.

I don't play golf games, and if a golf game had won "best game of 2012" I would find that puzzling since it's not comparable to the games I do play, like FPS, MMO, MOBA, and RTS.

• MaldobarMaldobar Member UncommonPosts: 11

GW2 Top game of 2012?

I for myself would understand the Top 2012 Sales Award for Videogames

But in my eyes if they get Top 2012 Video game, something is wrong with Calendar..its not April 1. isn't it?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Draron

What's that?

Oh okay Spike's, like I figured VGA meant Video Game Awards but there are so many I didn't know which one.

gw2 got a vga nomination.  i don't think they won.  but,  Tenacious D's song at the end was epic.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    All things considered, Game of the Year awards are like good attendance records.

just because you dont agree doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the honor.

In our opinion then, 'award' of the year is like that then? I don't believe that.

I don't even understand what you're trying to tell me, here. The last ten or more years of GOTY's have been superficial bullshit that rarely reflect on the calibre or vision of a game, which is absolutely my opinion, more than popularity or ability to expand its marketing budget. You're right that I don't agree GW2 deserves any special recognition, but when the awards are coming from publications or sources that aren't even game enthusiast press, who fucking cares? Like I said, it's akin to being granted an attendance record award in grammar school.

Congratulations, GW2. You exist, and are indeed a game.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Vhaln

I'd put it in the top 10, maybe even the top 5, just not the number one position.. that said, the whole list is kind of random.  It's like the mainstream is catching on to the popularity of video games, but they're still pretty awkward about it.  They're taking gaming more seriously, but not actually taking it seriously, yet.

It's like making a top-10 list of movies.  Why doesn't Time do that?  Because it's so largely a matter of preference and personal taste.  Especially when you're trying to lump all genres together.  It's just a silly thing to do, all around.

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-arts-lists/slide/the-invisible-war/

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.

I don't know where you get your information from, but GW2 is still the top selling MMORPG on Amazon, and the boxed version is still in the top 5 PC games sales too there. And that's only the boxed version, and only on Amazon.

Those numbers don't have to be perfect to see that Diablo 3 is doing significantly better than GW2.  I'm not saying this to bash GW2 or anything and, as I explained in other posts, it's not the end all be all of how well a game is doing (I posted some xFire numbers that were in favor of GW2 later).

So stop assuming that anything negative I say about GW2 must mean I'm simply imposing my opinion on the matter.

I don't care about Diablo III. My post was in answer to "In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.". A game in the top 5 of PC games sales on Amazon over 3 months after it's release is definitely doing "hot" enough.

You don't havez to beat Diablo III or any other Blizzard game to do well in terms of sales.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Eventhough  am taking a break from GW 2 I think ArenaNet did a great job.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

Hardware sales were down 13%, software sales were down 11% and accessories were down 8%.

This was actually the smallest year-over-year decline in sales so far in 2012.

Here’s a look at the top 10 best selling games for the month:

• Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision Blizzard)
    • Halo 4 (Microsoft)
    • Assassin’s Creed III (Ubisoft)
    • Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
    • Madden NFL 13 (Electronic Arts)
    • Skylander Giants (Activision Blizzard)
    • Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2012 (Electronic Arts)
    • NBA 2K13 (Take 2 Interactive)
    • WWE 13 (THQ)
    • FIFA Soccer 13 (Electronic Arts

Note- The award was not for sales but for those using sales as a talking point, all platforms were in the game of the year catagory and not just PC games. Still it is what it is - an award from Time.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Most pc games are not sold retail
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    What?  GW2 was nominated for best PC game...
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Not for Game Of The Year.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

You said it wasn't even mentioned... I found out that it was in 20 seconds on Google.  Pay attention.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

You said it wasn't even mentioned... I found out that it was in 20 seconds on Google.  Pay attention.

it wasn't mentioned on the tv broadcast.  they didn't hand out that award on the show.  and gw2 didn't win.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

This thread is about Game Of The Year. Yes, I did say it was not mentioned and I am talking about for Game Of The Year. You pay attention.

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

Oh, so now GW2 is bigger than all the games outhere!? GREAT!!!     Oh wait..... 

:)

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Warband

Don't confuse what you think (or hope) is happening and reality.

Dang, I must resist quoting Icewhite's post again now...

Lol are you seriously comparing gw2 to dablo 3, not even Wow, or Sc2 sold that amount in retail in the period of time that diablo 3 did. In fact that 's more than the majority of multiplat releases. Your basically comparing it to the one the best selling probably currently ever in that period of time PC release. It's like comparing borderlands or even halo 4 to call of duty. They're not in the same ball park and that's not a bad thing as they are still successful,

Uh, last I checked, this is about the top game of 2012, and diablo 3 is a game and it was released in 2012 right?

This award is a total joke, and any of you that think GW2 deserves it are out of your freakin minds.  Yes, it's possible to like the game, to think it's good, and NOT be completely delusional in thinking it's the top game... fark.

Umm going by most review metrics proffessional and user based GW2 beats D3, which is what this thread is about not sales. Otherwise CoD would game of the year for the past several years. Also by that metric it beats the vast majority of games, and is oneof the hiight rated games released this year on metric and is the highest rated pc game released this year. Going by those valid reason, it does deserve some awards. You may not like those reasons or personally agree with them but then you might as well ignore game of the years as a whole (which is fine).

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

A lot of these awards are slanted towards console crap, so for a PC only game to even get a mention, let alone a win, is an accomplishment.  That being said, while I think GW2 is probably a top 10 game for 2012, I can think of at least 5 or 6 other games I enjoyed much more.  It's probably still the best value for your dollar, though.

And even though I don't play it anymore, I would never even think of asking for a refund after all the time I spent playing.  Anyone thats done that should give their head a shake.  Its a dick move.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm guessing the reason d3 ain't in the list, a lot of people like me bought it, felt suckered and uninstalled the bloody thing a couple of days latter.

Gw2 Is a much better game than d3

Although its not the best pc game this year (dishonoured) or the best mmo (planetside 2)