Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to the Sandbox PvP?

2»

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

What happened? People realized they don't have to set their alarm clocks to wake them up in the middle of the night to destroy or defend somehthing. Or wait of hours to get a party going. Or grind for days to recouperate lost resources.

They found out that there are alternatives where they can have more fun and whenever they want with little time investment.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    The problem is, the sandbox games that are out there think PvP=sand. They forgot the other 95% of the game. EvE is probably the only game that is what you are after, and if you are good with spreadsheets, happy paying for multiple accounts, don't have a life and think being good at it means you are cool in real life then it is the game for you. Oh and if you don't mind WOW in space type combat (i.e. press buttons upon rotation and the really skilled press different buttons when certain situations arise) and the fact you are a spaceship. There are no good, ground based sandbox games out there, people that play games like DF and MO are just so short on options they play them from desperation.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by Vunak23

The budget to ArcheAge (production only) is around 25-30 milions. I think never a sandbox mmo had so much money into, and in the last 10 years it will be the first MMO that can be considered AAA and sandbox.

AA have only 2 flaws i know so far: the outdated tab-target system and the fact that will be released in no less than 2 years. :(

Idk  i think we will be close to release by the end of 2013. 

I mean Jakes main concerns right now are Korea and China, and China is developing/translating right along with Korea. We are gonna see OBT early next year and probably release a few weeks later for Korea. A month later I see China doing the same. 

Maybe a year and a half if they dont start the localization right away. It really doesn't take all that long to translate, FFXI/FFXIV and SE do it quick as hell. 

Course this is me being optimistic heh..

Russia will have a earlier release too. My bet to the release to western countries is no early than April 2014.

IDK I dont think Russia will be before EU and US, we have a bigger market between us then Russia. Now Japan will be before us I forgot about them. 

The eastern market* is more "avid" consumer of mmos than the western (Isn't for nothing that Korea is in the world vanguard in mmo production). The eastern market has too a clear (almost exclusive) preference toward sandboxes, with tough enviroment and rewards hard to be obtained.

*Korea, Japan, China, Russia and some countries of Eastern Europe.

I agree Korea, Japan and China have a higher population and are there target audience. But Russia I doubt it. China, Korea Japan (I believe) and US/EU have Official AA sites while Russia doesn't.  XLGames even opened an Office up in the states for a while there. Eve if Japan doesn't have an official site, Jake came out and said after the Chinese release they would be moving on to a Japanese release before anything else. 

They just made a deal with Take-Two (possible Publisher). There is more in favor of a western release before a Russian release, more likely is the Russian release will be apart of the EU release and it all translated at once for French/Russian/German and English. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         You mean that great PVP where players used scripts and cheats to be max skill level in a few hours then kill noobs non stop as they step foot outside the gates of Brittain?? YEah what fun that used to be.....Im surprised I ever tried another MMO again after that experience.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Yalexy
    Maybe ArcheAge will deliver some two years down the road, but until then there's nothing on the horizon peaking my interest.

AA has potential to be nice good game, BUT it is not pure sandbox. FAR from it.   It has very big themepark parts.   So it is something similar to hmm Fallen Earth with few more sandbox features and bit bigger budget? Or Lineage II mixed with Vanilla WoW and some UO features.

AA will be 80-90% sandbox and 10-20% themepark. The themepark feature will be mainly the quests and a instanced "training camp" that will only give small to medium rewards. The "endgame" of AA will be 100% sandbox with FFA partial loot PVP, with some penaltys to who pk same faction players in southern continent and none in the northern.

There will also be instanced (and non-instanced) dungeons. Only a few not that much as in WoW or Rift or other themeparks, but still there will be.  Lately XL games went more into themepark teritories.  Don't misunderstand me - I still wait for this game and I still think AA have potential. I am not bashing it.  

I just personally believe that if someone expect next Ultima Online or SWG - will be disappointed, cause it won't be as sandboxy.

Still it might be great :)

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Haxzon

I have searched and searched for a mmorpg that would peak my interest again. It seems i just keep hoping for something that just wont be there ever again.

The "No Holds-Barred, stomach in knots, kill first ask questions later" kind of game... I'm not saying FPS. I'm saying MMORPG. The kind of game where you and the other players ARE the world.  The world where you have to have scouts while leveling so you dont get ambushed by other players and loot stolen. And after a long day of solo PKing or reaching your next conquest... you wonder on home to the city, castle, town, but not just any town... The town that you and your guild placed and built from the ground up! The one that you defend, nurture, love. And as long as your walls stand... your only real safehaven.

Yes, folks, I'm talking about a real Sandbox PvP. No Carebears allowed.  Something like Shadowbane!

I have played many mmorpg dating all the way back to UO and EQ... and many styles since but it seems no game has ever really peaked my interest until the game that stripped the boring quests and carebeared Anime content for the casual PvE player... and just went for it. Gave the world to the players. Yes it had its flaws, the game engine sucked, certain characters got nerfed because of the carebears (ie : a thief class was really a thief and could take the money right out of your pocket and be gone before you know it...) If you died, your inventory (not your equipped items) was fair game! I'm just saying I miss this game and truly believe with the new technology a game of this nature would thrive and prosper.

Where's my Sandbox! I wanna play?

What do you think? Anyone else longing for this? Or are you happy with how the mmorpg worlds are now?

Im at the same place.

Darkfall 2 release in 4 days and all FFA pvp gamers will head there.

Me included.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Kalafax

and rampant ingame betrayal.

Obviously you've never played EVE. It easily has the most robust and friendly community that I have seen in any mmo for years. You just need to use the alliance and corporation recruitment forums and get into a good corp. Every corp I've been in has been a great group of guys.  People who I would trust all of my assets with. EVE's only problem is haters spreading misinformation when they have never played the game and don't know anything.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

Ive played all FFA pvp games out there up to now and EvE online is the ONLY FFA pvp game i couldnt get into. And i tried it several times because i wanted it to work.

EvE Online strenght is that it has done space combat right but that doesnt mean its for everybody. Its actually less skill based pvp than most other FFA pvp games out there.

So if your into tactical combat and dont mind beeing a spaceship, go EvE.

If your into skill based pvp and like to play a character of some sorts, go DF2.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Yalexy
    Maybe ArcheAge will deliver some two years down the road, but until then there's nothing on the horizon peaking my interest.

AA has potential to be nice good game, BUT it is not pure sandbox. FAR from it.   It has very big themepark parts.   So it is something similar to hmm Fallen Earth with few more sandbox features and bit bigger budget? Or Lineage II mixed with Vanilla WoW and some UO features.

AA will be 80-90% sandbox and 10-20% themepark. The themepark feature will be mainly the quests and a instanced "training camp" that will only give small to medium rewards. The "endgame" of AA will be 100% sandbox with FFA partial loot PVP, with some penaltys to who pk same faction players in southern continent and none in the northern.

There will also be instanced (and non-instanced) dungeons. Only a few not that much as in WoW or Rift or other themeparks, but still there will be.  Lately XL games went more into themepark teritories.  Don't misunderstand me - I still wait for this game and I still think AA have potential. I am not bashing it.  

I just personally believe that if someone expect next Ultima Online or SWG - will be disappointed, cause it won't be as sandboxy.

Still it might be great :)

I've played it and it is pretty damn sandboxy. Its not as Sandbox as it could be. But it really only has one or two themepark elements. Its quest/story based leveling and a few  instanced dungeons that don't even cary the best gear (thats for World bosses).

No its not as sandbox as UO or SWG. But is the closest we have come in the last 10 years, so I'm not complaining. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Very strange topic.

I believe almost all (if not: all) sandboxes released in the last 5 years have been FFA PvP ones. Not sure what the OP wants. Practically all sandbox games of the last 5 years offer what he seems to look for.

Just out of the top of my head: Darkfall, Mortal Online, Xsyon, Haven&Hearth, Salem.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

What happened to sandbox PvP?

"CLICKY"

Happens every time ......

~Hairysun

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Larsa
    Very strange topic.I believe almost all (if not: all) sandboxes released in the last 5 years have been FFA PvP ones. Not sure what the OP wants. Practically all sandbox games of the last 5 years offer what he seems to look for.Just out of the top of my head: Darkfall, Mortal Online, Xsyon, Haven&Hearth, Salem.

Maybe that's the problem with trying to write a "sandbox" game. You give the players what they ask for, and they complain that it doesn't exist.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.