Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE or the new Darkfall?

Comments

• Sytek_88Sytek_88 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by xenomonk6
    Originally posted by Sytek_88

eve career flow chart

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

99% of eve can be chocked up to mostly rehashed gameplay anyways all with the same means to and end, while letting your ship avatar roam around and play the game for you.

This game is absolutely terrible requires no skill and basically allows any newb to just walk in and play space ships, they try to talk big about how their systems are ground breaking but you can't even actually play the game, you click some really over elaborate UI menus then you click some other things that allow your ship to automatically play itself.

The game is boring and redundant and if you actually read this "career flow chart" you can see that more than 90% of the things could be consolidated under the same category or have already been done better in another game.

This game will always have hardcore fanboys with its ease of use and f2p model, to try and downplay darkfall unholy wars is sad as it will blow this shit game out of the water, but ya you're right eve is free... For a reason, go try it you'll be back soon!

Holy Shit Storm BATMAN! and your calling me out as a fanboy of EVE ? REALLY ! ? Someone mentioned the flow chart i linked it i didnt say anything about eve online being better then DARKFALL nor would i two entirely different games. I plan to play DFUW when its released i played the first aswell and ENJOYED IT. But your harsh haterd for EVE Online leads me to believe you never made it past the tutorials. 

• xenomonk6xenomonk6 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

eve career flow chart

99% of eve can be chocked up to mostly rehashed gameplay anyways all with the same means to and end, while letting your ship avatar roam around and play the game for you.

This game is absolutely terrible requires no skill and basically allows any newb to just walk in and play space ships, they try to talk big about how their systems are ground breaking but you can't even actually play the game, you click some really over elaborate UI menus then you click some other things that allow your ship to automatically play itself.

The game is boring and redundant and if you actually read this "career flow chart" you can see that more than 90% of the things could be consolidated under the same category or have already been done better in another game.

This game will always have hardcore fanboys with its ease of use and f2p model, to try and downplay darkfall unholy wars is sad as it will blow this shit game out of the water, but ya you're right eve is free... For a reason, go try it you'll be back soon!

Never knew eve was free.  You're an odd duck.

Also even if you get rid of most things on that chart, there's still more things to do or experience in EVE than Darkfall.  If you get rid of like 1 thing to do in darkfall, there goes a third of the value lol

as I said though, easiest way for OP is to try it using the free trial that CCP offers with EVE.

Make his own determination.

And then try Darkfall... whenever it gets released (lol)

Does darkfall unholy wars have its own website even?  Or an offical release date on a website owned by the company making it?  I mean, I know they do have a release date on their blog but according to that, Darkfall Unholy Wars came out 17 days ago... lol

But yeah, at least try darkfall whenever they get around to releasing it, or releasing the release date.  Hopefully in the next couple months at least one of those will happen.

Eve is shit that's why no one actually plays the game they just use it as a wow clone and social hub all day, and when they are playing they aren't because you don't play in EVE eve plays itself.

Sad that so many people like this boring and shallow gameplay really at least you actually have to have some form of brain or reaction time to play a style game like darkfall where pvp is visceral and fast paced... what you do in eve is troll around on a little spaceship that shoots lasers (by itself) oh my gash how kewl... Also i could remove 1 or 2 things from EVE and it would also have almost no depth, because it's completely rehashed gameplay over and over.

So many newbs defend this game like it's the holy grail of mmo's when really it's nothing more than a crafting social hub where pvp is nothing but a long boring light show. Thanks for trying to get more people to cut their eyes out in boredom though hahaha

Speaking on playing itself wasnt Darkfall that one game where people sat in forts using spell macros to get to max level ?

OH and that SAME game that had to be relaunched becuase it was next to being dead with only the most ELITE niche of followers ?

• xenomonk6xenomonk6 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Speaking on playing itself wasnt Darkfall that one game where people sat in forts using spell macros to get to max level ?

OH and that SAME game that had to be relaunched becuase it was next to being dead with only the most ELITE niche of followers ?

You're right most scrubs were ran out of the game because it was to hard for them and no amount of macroing could ever compare to EVE since the entire game does literally it for itself...

You're right most scrubs were ran out of the game because it was to hard for them and no amount of macroing could ever compare to EVE since the entire game does literally it for itself...

HAHA! really ? too hard ? its COD with swords and spells! anyone can catch on. The reason the game couldnt keep people playing is because in order to be competitive BEFORE the xp changes you had to AFK macro and AFK swim for months before you could even dent a veterans armor. Doest really sound all that fun to me (though i really do hope in DFUW things will be much more different)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

eve career flow chart

Holy Shit Storm BATMAN! and your calling me out as a fanboy of EVE ? REALLY ! ? Someone mentioned the flow chart i linked it i didnt say anything about eve online being better then DARKFALL nor would i two entirely different games. I plan to play DFUW when its released i played the first aswell and ENJOYED IT. But your harsh haterd for EVE Online leads me to believe you never made it past the tutorials. 

His hatred makes me think he was one who never quite knew what the hell was going on while in the game, so blames it on being too simple and easy.

It's anything but, and most people who play EVE actually enjoy games like DF as well, not mutually exclusive really.

If you know what your're doing of course..........not everyone does.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Yeah, Darkfall is pretty hard for people, especially when it comes to PVP.  The reason?  It's hard to kill another player when you're the only dude logged in.  It was a ghost town, the devs had an "OH SH--" moment of wondering what to do so they don't go bankrupt, and came up with the idea to patch a few bugs and NGE some classes into it and call it a new game.  How very HARDCORE of them to do so.  The game failed.  This relaunch is sad because it gives false hope.

Also when you are referring to EVE as a WoW clone... well let me just say I hope your reasoning isn't representative of the Darkfall community or in any way related to the reasoning ability of future generations of mankind.  I fear for our species otherwise.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I hope this sudden attack on someone for posting a flow chart isn't indicitive of the darkfall community...
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I hope this sudden attack on someone for posting a flow chart isn't indicitive of the darkfall community...

just ignore it, I'm hoping it's just the one guy as well.

Like I said, try both.  EVE has a free trial for now, whenever darkfall is out you can try that as well.

Best way for you to know, is for you to decide :)

Have fun hehe

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

just ignore it, I'm hoping it's just the one guy as well.

Like I said, try both.  EVE has a free trial for now, whenever darkfall is out you can try that as well.

Best way for you to know, is for you to decide :)

Have fun hehe

True, I am about to fire up eve right now since I am not entirely sure that df will even launch on time

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So I bought tsw on sale played for about an hour and disliked it and decided to move on.  As an ex runescaper (pre 2006 era) do you think I would enjoy EVE online or the new Darkfall game coming out?  I was always one to pretty much merchant goods, stake, pk, and basically socialize.  Never really grinded skills unless needed for one of the above (logged in over a years worth of hours and was only level 114/126 when I quit).Anyone who plays eve and is following darkfall or has played the old DF as well as EVE have any insight into this.  I tried EVE a couple years ago but I just felt so detached just flying around in a ship and honestly I got lost somewhere in space and just gave up (was still playing rs at the time so it wasn't a big deal)Thanks,Brian

EVE offers great depth and complexity, DFUW is just PVP.

However, it boils down to one thing only what matters - gameplay, and both games are very different in that regard.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I used a 21 day free trial + bought eve for £3 on the steam sale. 51 days of play time for £3.

I'm enjoying EVE at the moment and it's pretty easy to get into now with the intro/tutorials. Why not just try a 21 day free trial (you just need to click someones link in the sticky thread).

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Originally posted by Robokapp

this is bad advice. never get an mmo at release. give it at least a year for playerbase to stabilize, bugs to be fixd and reviews / game direction to be revealed.

DFUW isn't really a new MMO release...

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by Heretique

EvE is a great game but was never too fond of "being" the ship. They are working on the separation as you can actually make an avatar now but I like being on land with Darkfall.

Can't make the decision for you. They are both solid games IMO.

They abandoned the avatar idea btw. 

Nope not completely abandoned....shelved while they fix the stuff they should have done already in the game as it. I guess end 2013 they will start working on it again myself.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

eve career flow chart

Never knew eve was free.  You're an odd duck.

Also even if you get rid of most things on that chart, there's still more things to do or experience in EVE than Darkfall.  If you get rid of like 1 thing to do in darkfall, there goes a third of the value lol

as I said though, easiest way for OP is to try it using the free trial that CCP offers with EVE.

Make his own determination.

And then try Darkfall... whenever it gets released (lol)

Does darkfall unholy wars have its own website even?  Or an offical release date on a website owned by the company making it?  I mean, I know they do have a release date on their blog but according to that, Darkfall Unholy Wars came out 17 days ago... lol

But yeah, at least try darkfall whenever they get around to releasing it, or releasing the release date.  Hopefully in the next couple months at least one of those will happen.

lol lol ?

Ive tried EvE Online sevaral times because i wanted it to work for me personally. It never did.

EvE online has a lot of good features, but mentioning all carebear features you can do when comparing it to FFA PvP game like Darkfall 2 is a waste of time. When it comes down to it the only thing that matters are if you like EvE pvp or Darkfall pvp.

For me its 2 different games that offer FFA pvp on different terms. I personally dont like beeing a spaceship, it just dont do it for me. I also feel its less skill based combat than sword/shield/fireball mmo's. 

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I would go with DF:UW.  If you do decide to go with DF:UW... look forward to seeing you on the game if you go NA~

Originally posted by Robokapp
    i'd rather be a space ship than an armor...

A good thing that it works for you, i personally found it boring.

Nothing like having a 1 vs 1 up close and personal, or storming a castle with a huge army at your side.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Yeah, Darkfall is pretty hard for people, especially when it comes to PVP.  The reason?  It's hard to kill another player when you're the only dude logged in.  It was a ghost town, the devs had an "OH SH--" moment of wondering what to do so they don't go bankrupt, and came up with the idea to patch a few bugs and NGE some classes into it and call it a new game.  How very HARDCORE of them to do so.  The game failed.  This relaunch is sad because it gives false hope.

Also when you are referring to EVE as a WoW clone... well let me just say I hope your reasoning isn't representative of the Darkfall community or in any way related to the reasoning ability of future generations of mankind.  I fear for our species otherwise.

I gather you have extensive experience in Darkfall, given you are talking about it so much.

@OP, whilst both have "teh hardcore pvp" and both are sandbox mmos to one extent or another. They are extremely different games. I've played and enjoyed both and they are quite, quite different.

EVE offers an amazing sandbox/meta game experience with an insane amount of depth and a stable sized community. It's pacing, combat, ship confinement (for the main part) and other features may though put you off.

Darkfall offers fast paced, intense combat in a more traditional (but quite amazing) world environment. It offers sandbox/metagame features but to no where near the extent of EVE (no game does really). It will probably also have a less stable sized community than EVE (although that is conjecture).

Both will offer plenty for you to do outside of the supposed core aspect of the game (regardless as to what trolls will tell you). That is if Unholy Wars is similar to Darkfall of course.

Darkfall will provide the aspects you want (those in the OP), but EVE takes them to another level, with the drawback (for some) being factors like pacing and combat.

If you don't mind playing the longer term game, don't mind "being" a ship and don't mind slower pacing, than EVE will offer more. If you have interest in a more traditional game world type setting and an interest in action combat (as well as tradtional sandbx trappings), then Darkfall will probably be a better fit.

In all honesty the best I can suggest is that you try both and see which one feels a better fit. But both are games which require you to stick around and give them a chance for you to see their potential.

PS both games have members of the community which are total arseholes. Both have members of the community which are nice people. Just like any other game, the difference is both EVE and Darkfall seem to have more ardent support from within their respective communities because the players stick with and commit to the games.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

I gather you have extensive experience in Darkfall, given you are talking about it so much.

@OP, whilst both have "teh hardcore pvp" and both are sandbox mmos to one extent or another. They are extremely different games. I've played and enjoyed both and they are quite, quite different.

EVE offers an amazing sandbox/meta game experience with an insane amount of depth and a stable sized community. It's pacing, combat, ship confinement (for the main part) and other features may though put you off.

Darkfall offers fast paced, intense combat in a more traditional (but quite amazing) world environment. It offers sandbox/metagame features but to no where near the extent of EVE (no game does really). It will probably also have a less stable sized community than EVE (although that is conjecture).

Both will offer plenty for you to do outside of the supposed core aspect of the game (regardless as to what trolls will tell you). That is if Unholy Wars is similar to Darkfall of course.

Darkfall will provide the aspects you want (those in the OP), but EVE takes them to another level, with the drawback (for some) being factors like pacing and combat.

If you don't mind playing the longer term game, don't mind "being" a ship and don't mind slower pacing, than EVE will offer more. If you have interest in a more traditional game world type setting and an interest in action combat (as well as tradtional sandbx trappings), then Darkfall will probably be a better fit.

In all honesty the best I can suggest is that you try both and see which one feels a better fit. But both are games which require you to stick around and give them a chance for you to see their potential.

PS both games have members of the community which are total arseholes. Both have members of the community which are nice people. Just like any other game, the difference is both EVE and Darkfall seem to have more ardent support from within their respective communities because the players stick with and commit to the games.

Good post and good advice.

The only thing i would like to add is that DF2 offers a new start in a new world.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

eve career flow chart

Wow you have NEVER played eve have you.. No skill? REally? You are hillarious

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

100% wrong darkfall had pure traders that never killed a single mob ingame( i can think of one) there were several others who spend one month PvEing and started trading for the rest of there career with vendors.

EvE is a more complex game but don't forget it is basicly a Excel Spreadsheet while Darkfall offers direct character control in a fantasy world.

The main goal for darkfall is to gain power, to control ressources however it has not the complex mechanics of EvE.

What i would usggest you is to try out the free trail for EvE Online and see if you like it and if not you can buy Darkfall next week because there won't be any trials

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Niburu

I've never heard of anyone "playing the market" for example, in Darkfall.

100% wrong darkfall had pure traders that never killed a single mob ingame( i can think of one) there were several others who spend one month PvEing and started trading for the rest of there career with vendors.

EvE is a more complex game but don't forget it is basicly a Excel Spreadsheet while Darkfall offers direct character control in a fantasy world.

The main goal for darkfall is to gain power, to control ressources however it has not the complex mechanics of EvE.

What i would usggest you is to try out the free trail for EvE Online and see if you like it and if not you can buy Darkfall next week because there won't be any trials

I can't say that is a great selling point, since I'm disgusted already with how dumbed down the whole MMORPG industry has become, when compared to complex games of the past I loved.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Niburu

That is like pretending you closet being a Carnegie Hall because you happen to be singing there once in a while.

There is no market nor economy in DF to speak of...

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I liked the concepts behind EVE, but I could never get past the "you're a ship" part. I didn't like the combat or playstyle. The things you can do in the game is limitless but you should look at videos before playing the game especially combat. 
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Karteli

I can't say that is a great selling point, since I'm disgusted already with how dumbed down the whole MMORPG industry has become, when compared to complex games of the past I loved.

Not as complex as EvE is like 95% of the games out there. Darkfall is still way more complex and hardcore and based on player actions than the AAA game generation of today