Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What venture capitalist look for when deciding to fund your game.

OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member Posts: 685 Uncommon

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/182962/what_do_investors_look_for_in_a_.php

I have no idea if this is the "correct" section of the dev corner to post this in since mmorpg.com seems to have done some "redesigning" since I was last in here, but in any case I figure this will be a nice read for you prospective devs out there.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAMember Posts: 10,910 Common

You sneaky bugger you. You could have linked to the post I put in General Gaming.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371219/What-Do-Venture-Capitalists-Look-For.html

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member Posts: 685 Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    You sneaky bugger you. You could have linked to the post I put in General Gaming.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371219/What-Do-Venture-Capitalists-Look-For.html

If I were being sneaky, I wouldn't have told you first.image

I almost didn't post it when I couldn't even find "Developers Corner" in the forum list anymore. Luckily I saw it in the sidebar.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAMember Posts: 10,910 Common

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by lizardbones You sneaky bugger you. You could have linked to the post I put in General Gaming. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371219/What-Do-Venture-Capitalists-Look-For.html image
    If I were being sneaky, I wouldn't have told you first.

I almost didn't post it when I couldn't even find "Developers Corner" in the forum list anymore. Luckily I saw it in the sidebar.

Gotcher. Well, hopefully somebody reads it. I thought it was interesting, and it made sense. VCs are interested in performance, not whether a game is sandboxy or theme parky.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLMember Posts: 1,288 Uncommon

The firm I work for no longer invests in games, it was a sad day when I heard it at a meeting.

We still actively invest in already public gaming companies (else I'd be out of a job as a stock analyst). When we did invest in gam ing start-ups, we actively looked for cash shop mobile games heavily based on social media with an active server framework in order to gauge performance of key business metrics. Bottomline it has to be addictive, hardware agile, social, with an appealing cash shop.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied -, WAMember Posts: 2,165 Uncommon

Capitalism ho!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 1,917 Uncommon

So to summarize:

Look for game companies with multiplatform repeatedly major successes in games, that somehow don't have money.

Ok.

AsRock Z710 Extreme7+ motherboard
    Intel i7-6700K Skylake 4.0 GHz processor
    8 GB DDR4 3600 mhz RAM
    Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" SSD
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD
    Haf X case
    Two MSI 980 Ti GPUs in SLI
    Three 30" U3011 monitors at 7680x1600 resolution in Surround
    An additional 27" Dell 4K monitor

Basically my gaming rig is made of money
    El Psy Congroo

• NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLMember Posts: 1,288 Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    So to summarize: Look for game companies with multiplatform repeatedly major successes in games, that somehow don't have money. Ok.

it is called leveraging, or maximizing your debt to capital ratio. It's called smart business. Did you know Apple has an incredible amount of cash lying around yet they still borrow money.

But I can see how someone simple can interpret it as "HAVE money & success to BORROW money".

• anemoanemo Member Posts: 998 Uncommon
    Originally posted by denshing
    Capitalism ho!

Heh I had tons of fun with this game.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCMember Posts: 1,059
    I miss the days when any old social reject could make a multi-million dollar game hit by selling their blood for food and comic book money while living in their mom's basement...
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member Posts: 685 Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    So to summarize: Look for game companies with multiplatform repeatedly major successes in games, that somehow don't have money. Ok.

Not necessarily. I think the model is more important than the experience.

For example, if you have a game that closely follows the model of games a certain investor is known to fund, and that investor can see that even without the experience, you've made a game with mechanics that have sold repeatedly for him/her/them before, you'll have a greater chance of getting funded.

Yoy have to remember, a big part of getting investors is researching the investors themselves. Know what they like and don't like, and match your game with the investor(s) you feel your game would most likely appeal to. Don't try to sell an open-world RPG like Skyrim to a guy who deals mainly with Zynga-type games.

It's really a simple common sense concept, yet many new devs don't see it. I'm willing to bet a great number of indy devs who get frustrated and give up because they have an awesome game that was repeatedly rejected, were peddling it to people that would never identify with that type of game in the first place.