Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a hidden gem

ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Well...I took someones advice here on mmorpg.com and decided to give Fallen Earth another try after a couple of years. I am enjoying the game greatly and it may be my game until TESO launches. The reticle aim combat is a nice touch, the crafting and harvesting is good, the wide open feel of the world is nice and the weapon choices are nice. The only F2P restriction that I have encountered so far is keys needed to open looted chests.

The only downside that I have found so far is the lack of players in the low level areas.

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       What!!!     Crawls out from under my log...   When did Fallen Earth go F2P?   Holy crap!!!  Looks at clock only 35 more minutes till the weekend....

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Didn't this receive a pay to win cash shop and not many updates? I'm pretty sure I read that andthat was why I stayed away after the f2p launch.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    What are the noticeable changes to the overall game now that it's under GamersFirst?   I ask because I am very very hesitant to play another game under their rule.
  • Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67

[edit]

poster above beat me to it, so ill just add this instead of the original message:

FE is a hidden gem indeed, keep comming back to it over and over

and when it comes to f2p, they got their bussiness model right, other companys should learn from whomever the hell was FE's dev/publisher

100% access to game's content for free

actually i can only say one bad thing bout FE, terrible client optimalization;/

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Fallen Earth is a good game, and its cash shop is a surprising departure from other similar systems.

So yes Fallen Earth is a hidden gem, and unlike GW2 doesn't shove the gems down your throat to have you buy things :P

• Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Didn't this receive a pay to win cash shop and not many updates? I'm pretty sure I read that andthat was why I stayed away after the f2p launch.

The shop is not pay to win and absolutely no content is restricted.

You can play any content, use any weapon/armor/item/etc that a subscriber can.

Only restrictions are chat ( no global ), chips ( 10 red chip cap), character slots (2) and time restrictions such as it takes a bit longer to harvest and craft items.

You only get 1 crafting que as a F2P player . However, if you're smart and do just one of the surveys to earn a few GC1 credits, then buy a Lifenet hack ( which is a 1 time use teleport ability ) for 5 GC1 ( this is the cheapest item in the shop, which is why I suggest it ), you then earn "scavenger" status ( the same status given to previous P2P players before the game went F2P )  and all chat, chip, and character slot restrictions are removed and you get an extra 2 crafting ques. You also get the "First Time buyers Package" which has a bunch of goodies to hel a free player like xp boost, harvesting time reducers, etc. ).

As for content, we are now waiting on the next patch which brings some combat changes/optimizations, as well as faming ( own a farm and grow your own harvestables ).

That sounds like the very definition of pay to win.  It doesn't have to be in a cash shop to be pay to win.  You pay more, you get an advantage.  It doesn't matter if it's in a cash shop or not.

I don't mind pay to win though.  I mostly play F2P and B2P games and don't care if they sell power items in their shops.  At least be honest about the game being p2w though.  One form of p2w (subs) is subject to the same criticism as another form (cash shop, lock boxes, etc).

you sir, are terribly wrong,,, fe aint nothing like p2w, no power items in the shop what so ever!

just social/vanity slots and items, some special looking vechicles and pets, xp rate boosters, crafting time speeder thingies etc

paying for faster levelling  != p2w

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

Only restrictions are chat ( no global ), chips ( 10 red chip cap), character slots (2) and time restrictions such as it takes a bit longer to harvest and craft items.

You only get 1 crafting que as a F2P player . However, if you're smart and do just one of the surveys to earn a few GC1 credits, then buy a Lifenet hack ( which is a 1 time use teleport ability ) for 5 GC1 ( this is the cheapest item in the shop, which is why I suggest it ), you then earn "scavenger" status ( the same status given to previous P2P players before the game went F2P )  and all chat, chip, and character slot restrictions are removed and you get an extra 2 crafting ques. You also get the "First Time buyers Package" which has a bunch of goodies to hel a free player like xp boost, harvesting time reducers, etc. ).

As for content, we are now waiting on the next patch which brings some combat changes/optimizations, as well as faming ( own a farm and grow your own harvestables ).

That sounds like the very definition of pay to win.  It doesn't have to be in a cash shop to be pay to win.  You pay more, you get an advantage.  It doesn't matter if it's in a cash shop or not.

I don't mind pay to win though.  I mostly play F2P and B2P games and don't care if they sell power items in their shops.  At least be honest about the game being p2w though.  One form of p2w (subs) is subject to the same criticism as another form (cash shop, lock boxes, etc).

So if a free to play game that does not offer any subscription, and the only thing offered in the cash shop are cosmetic non-stat armor skins, they would be pay to win as well.

For example, I buy a green coat.  I now blend in better with a green environment.  So by your measure, there really isn't much a cash shop can sell at all without being pay to win.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

You really don;t know what pay to win is then. Pay to win is where i can buy a gun that is better then anything you can get in game and many free to play games to this but fallen earth doesn't.

Side not you can build cars buggies atv motocycles for mounts awesome crafting system.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Fallen Earth was a fun game to try when it first went F2P.  Changes went in later though (way after the transition to F2P date) to make the F2P'ers life sort of miserable unless they subscribed.

It's generally a decent game.  It's not entirely sandbox, and open-ended, and I got really frustrated at some of the themepark quests during the lowbie / midbie stages.  The quests were not explained well and / or they were broken.  I tried on multiple days to get this one part done, and when I couldn't, I uninstalled the game.

The sandbox part was very cool, but adding themepark stuff that is broken didn't bode well for Fallen Earth.  At least from my perspective.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

The only downside that I have found so far is the lack of players in the low level areas.

On this, one of the problems is there are multiple starting towns. And even at low levels, some of the missions spread you out pretty far from town as you go. Not to mention many new players just get enthralled with exploring and harvesting everything they can get their hands on. lol

Watch the "Help" channel, as that's where you'll see most all the new players and send some pm's, you'll find more low level players than you thought. Also, you can open alt + O and see players around your area ( that you might not normally see because they're in a dungeon, out exploring, harvesting, etc. ).

Good to know. I saw a lot of chat in the help channel, so I was hopeful that what you described was the case. I just need to find a good laid back clan now and I will be set.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Karteli

Fallen Earth was a fun game to try when it first went F2P.  Changes went in later though (way after the transition to F2P date) to make the F2P'ers life sort of miserable unless they subscribed.

It's generally a decent game.  It's not entirely sandbox, and open-ended, and I got really frustrated at some of the themepark quests during the lowbie / midbie stages.  The quests were not explained well and / or they were broken.  I tried on multiple days to get this one part done, and when I couldn't, I uninstalled the game.

The sandbox part was very cool, but adding themepark stuff that is broken didn't bode well for Fallen Earth.  At least from my perspective.

It doesn't sound like they restrict f2p though, just add incentive to pay them money.  I don't mind extra grind or being able to buy account or character unlocks.  I just don't like when the only option to unlock something is by subscribing.  I also don't like ffa pvp anymore.  I really want to play a post-apocolyptic type of game, but just don't want ffa pvp anymore.

I'm with you on that one about the slower pace of F2P.  I don't mind that at all (as long as a game doesn't feel like a grind, which FA didn't feel like).  The game was kinda good, now that I think about it.  It was very challenging.

The mechanics of mounts were very cool .. ie you did not pop mounts in and out like WoW .. if you dismount, you have to go back to where you dismounted if you want your mount back.  Death was also interesting, because your mount would be out grazing where you died and you had to reclaim 'em.  And then there was the case where you could actually severely wound your mount, which would require medical attention.

Ahh maybe I'll try it again.  In light of all the crappy MMORPG's that released, the older ones are looking a little better :-)

The themepark stuff kinda blew though :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Thanks for the feedback on pvp.  That makes a difference to me.  And thanks for the stuff about mounts and death.  That's very interesting.

Is there any difference between gaining an advantage, and winning?

Specifically, can a person with an advantage lose?

I'm very interested in your response.

• jayndsunjayndsun Member Posts: 14

very different MMO.. I can see where people say its an AP farm, but aren't ALL MMOS a farm to hit X-level or Y skill?

I've only just started lvl 7, crafting is neat, exploration is fun.. reminds me of Fall Out 3 MMO. I can wait to be able to craft my own stuff.. combat is typical mmo, nothing really new.. except for aim.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

OMG! I tried this game because i like games like Fallout 3, etc. But this game was awful. Controls were awful and just everything about this game. Don't even waste your time with this crappy title.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Add player owned territory that you can expand and build on without restrictions and give us freedom to wage wars and play politics . Current end game is not good. Else this game had so much potential and gave me hours of fun.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68

With the latest patch they added farms, spawnable in the open world. They're trying to wrap their heads around making housing and permanent farms, but so far it doesn't look like they got it good enough to even announce or give an ETA.

I resubbed today after playing the last 2 days f2p. Oh, FE. You've changed so much and now I'm TOTALLY lost on how to build my character :3

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Allacore69

OMG! I tried this game because i like games like Fallout 3, etc. But this game was awful. Controls were awful and just everything about this game. Don't even waste your time with this crappy title.

Yeah this game always had sub par combat mechanics, controls and actions were always clunky and unpleasant.

The game had a lot of good things going for it, but, never really got far with developing what it did well.  Saw the game as too much of an unstructured quest hub game with just way too many early mission chains for AP that were...well long and tedious and some you didnt get AP for...was a mess trying to keep track of what ive done and which ones i need to do.

Also wasnt a fan of the factions and magic system...which just seemed like a completely out of place system in the game, again with the lack of focusing on what the game does well.

Top if all off, im not a fan of gamers first, i remember them before they changed their name from K2 networks as being a horrid f2p company.  Not sure how theyve turned around since their name change, but dont trust them. 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Gamerfirst is a greedy as shit company but one thing that they are not with their newer games is definitely not P2W. Both APB and FE has been pretty balanced in that respect.The don't really sell anything that you couldn't get through grind and the things that you can only get with cash are not even upgrades (sidegrades, some are not even sidegrades they are actually inferior to free-to-grind stuff just with a prettier skin).

FE especially is probably one of the game that Gamerfirst is not very paying to buy much on compare to their other games. You buy a few xp boosts and things and that's about it. It is probably one of the better implemented cash shop system imo of a myriad of f2p cash shop games out there.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I love the idea of Fallen Earth but the combat is so not up to par. It needs a lot of work.
  • keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140
    So with the latest changes, can you bank and trade with other players now on a F2P account?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Is there any difference between gaining an advantage, and winning?

Specifically, can a person with an advantage lose?

I'm very interested in your response.

Your question seems to hinge on the assumption that the players are in a competition. A lot of the "pay to win" comments are based on that assumption. For me, when I bought my +1 Bow in DDO, competition wasn't part of the equation. I'm not playing against others, I am playing with them.

If you want to think of it in terms of win and loss, then my answer is that when a player gains an advantage in a PVE game, his team/union, guild, clan, party, group, etc wins.  I state PvE specifically, because that's the other part that gets left out when people argue this "pay to win" thing. In PvE, if you're competing with the others around you, you're probably doing it wrong.

I'm curious what the overlap is between posters that are anti-"pay to win" who are constantly measuring themselves against everyone around them and the people that wonder why there's no community in today's games.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I played FE at release for a couple of months and got into S2, can't remember the exact level. Having recently returned I noted, as other have pointed out, that movement and combat is still clunky - I'm guessing it's somthing to do with Ikarus's engine mechanics but as I am not a programmer I am probably wrong. The things they got right were, imo, the skill/stat system and the crafting/gathering. As it's F2P I can playit until I get too frustrated with the combat then quit fro a while but hopefully it will tide me over until the Repopulation launches.