Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Most hated MMORPG

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by GPrestige
    I don't really hate any MMOs, but if I changed hate to "most disappointed with", it would be The Old Republic. Hate? Any of the CoX or superhero MMOs.

I dont know if I hate any MMOs but there are alot I wouldn't play even for free.....The superhero ones are all terrible, the DOTA ones are all bad, and not a fan of any FFA PVP games.

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    I dont hate , i ignore
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Axehandle
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Wish a mod would sticky this thread. I know the amount of feedback will be huge and thus far lots of constructive critiques with very little senseless bashing. This might serve as a decent guide to new members as the "games to avoid" list.

The criticism in this thread is constructive? Especially on this forum. This thread is to let you bash the game you hate the most, without having to be constructive at all.

Let's be fair here. Most people point out severe flaws they saw with the game and very few replies are just "I hate x game bc I'm too hardc0rz for n0obs" and most people are being civil in the discussion. Compared to the flame wars that happen in game vs game threads this is very constructive.

Please reread the thread objectively. This is just a hate thread. Let's be fair about this (using your turn of phrase) if people would say, "I like X in the game because of this but I dislike Y becaue......." then talk about the relevence in the game. That is constructive.Just saying this is bad - is not constructive. Please learn debating.

So just so we are clear.

Main Entry:    constructive criticism
    Part of Speech:    n
    Definition:    criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions

People are posting critiques of the games and things they disliked strongly supported by reasonable arguments with some even offer advice. Sound like the definition of anything?

Before you debate me understand what I said then focus on topic and not meander off on some tangent.

As I said - when people start with the work 'hate, 'dislike', etc it is no constructive. It is the tone as much as anything else. Heck, even the title of the thread is negative.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Wish a mod would sticky this thread. I know the amount of feedback will be huge and thus far lots of constructive critiques with very little senseless bashing. This might serve as a decent guide to new members as the "games to avoid" list.

The criticism in this thread is constructive? Especially on this forum. This thread is to let you bash the game you hate the most, without having to be constructive at all.

Let's be fair here. Most people point out severe flaws they saw with the game and very few replies are just "I hate x game bc I'm too hardc0rz for n0obs" and most people are being civil in the discussion. Compared to the flame wars that happen in game vs game threads this is very constructive.

Please reread the thread objectively. This is just a hate thread. Let's be fair about this (using your turn of phrase) if people would say, "I like X in the game because of this but I dislike Y becaue......." then talk about the relevence in the game. That is constructive.Just saying this is bad - is not constructive. Please learn debating.

So just so we are clear.

Main Entry:    constructive criticism
    Part of Speech:    n
    Definition:    criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions

People are posting critiques of the games and things they disliked strongly supported by reasonable arguments with some even offer advice. Sound like the definition of anything?

Before you debate me understand what I said then focus on topic and not meander off on some tangent.

As I said - when people start with the work 'hate, 'dislike', etc it is no constructive. It is the tone as much as anything else. Heck, even the title of the thread is negative.

That's fine you can argue semantics but don't come at me like you have some infinite knowledge of how this thread should proceed when you clearly misunderstood what I blatantly stated. But no more derailment this conversation is over back to the topic.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Funny as this poll can tell you 2 things:

30% of those polled hate WoW

70% of those polled hate other mmos more than WoW

Point is polls are irrevalent because they can be twisted to fit whatever scenario you want to create.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Hate is strong... one that was the least appealing to me? Guildwars. The first one I didn't like at all and the second one (whcih was different) just was one of the weakest experiences I've had in an MMO in some time. While not the worst MMo I've tried, it is by far the worst MMo I've actually paid for. 

I don't hate it, nor do i think its bad either, specially if you are considering it among the wide variety out there, it just was the least fun to play and I just didn't enjoy it. 

Poll should really be "Most disliked AAA title MMO" rather then what it is. Sure I really dislike GW2, but there are plenty of Free games I can put above that game. I could at least stand to play 2 hours of GW2 when it was fresh before being unable to take it and getting to bored, there are F2P games that I had to struggle to play more then 15 minutes of despite how much I try to get past it.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    As long as you guys give your reasons for what you didn't like and things remain pretty civil, we'll leave this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

We all know them and each of us have our own stories of why we feel the way we do toward them but there can be only one winner.

So ladies and gentlemen, unleash your hatred!!!!

Note: the poll only allows a maximum of 10 options so I tried to cover the most popular games, I am aware I have left titles out there is a restriction.

Edit: if you select either Everquest or Guild Wars as an option please say which in your post. Thanks.

I voted for AoC. I don't really hate the game, I just have a general dislike for it, and hate is such a strong word. But I really do hate how it was marketed.

Before it came out, it was hyped out the wazzoo as THE mature game: it was going to be all about hardcore PvP, tits, and blood. During development, it started to become more and more about tits and blood, then just tits. Half of what FC said would be in the game did not make release and people were left with a very underwhelming experience. The devs tried to pull the wool over our eyes by trying to attract at least one demographic of the player population to the game by over-promoting the so-called mature part.

A few years later, I tried the endless trial and I was completely underwhelmed. I was expecting a harsh, nasty world, but much to my amazement, it felt really sanitized and drab. The combat was boring, the classes were boring, the quests were boring. I just managed to finish the Tortage storyline and I couldn't bring myself to continue.

That was a far cry from my experience in AO: despite its buggier engine and bad UI, Rubi-ka is just so more dark and harsh. The game is far, far more interesting just on all levels. I really thought that FC had lost the plot on AoC and I admit it has coloured my feelings towards this company. I have not tried TSW even though people say it is pretty good.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by Amana
    As long as you guys give your reasons for what you didn't like and things remain pretty civil, we'll leave this.

Thanks for allowing this to stay open. I started the thread and have been watching it to and trying to make sure the follow of traffic is moving in the right direction.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Hate is strong... one that was the least appealing to me? Guildwars. The first one I didn't like at all and the second one (whcih was different) just was one of the weakest experiences I've had in an MMO in some time. While not the worst MMo I've tried, it is by far the worst MMo I've actually paid for. 

I don't hate it, nor do i think its bad either, specially if you are considering it among the wide variety out there, it just was the least fun to play and I just didn't enjoy it. 

Poll should really be "Most disliked AAA title MMO" rather then what it is. Sure I really dislike GW2, but there are plenty of Free games I can put above that game. I could at least stand to play 2 hours of GW2 when it was fresh before being unable to take it and getting to bored, there are F2P games that I had to struggle to play more then 15 minutes of despite how much I try to get past it.

Well I can't limit to to triple A titles because theres more than just the "popular" mmorpg's out there. I tried to allow all mmorpg'ers to have a say. I never played the first guild wars but I've heard some good things and some bad with jump strangely being a major negative for most. I have heard the way they released content was very favorable for the players. Care to elaborate?

Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by FromHell
    GW2 because of lack of trinity and repetitive "dynamic events", also because of the pre-release hype, dev hyperboles and the fans

I like GW2 BECAUSE it DOESN'T have  the Trinity - no more waiting for a healer, etc. What an awlful idea the trinity really was.

I dislike GW2 mostly because of the haters on this site.

[mod edit]

I suppose in his defense sometimes the community can be toxic. I know when I was leaving wow one of the major reason was the attitude of the community. So much elitism because everyone could get gear and the lines were becoming blurred between the skilled hardcore versus the skilled casual which caused huge arguments over who was "eligible" to see the content. Community is a massive part of why I play Mmorpg's and a reason why I seek only games with welcoming people not the vitriolic mainstream that seem to be common place in the highest earning titles.

• supereconsuperecon Member Posts: 1
    Has to be Warhammer online, there was nothing interesting about this game from the moment I logged in and the PvP was terrible.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Mortal Online is probably up there...
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Is there any other mmo that wasted about 50%+ of 150 million dollars in voiceovers and forced the closure of a hell of a sandbox?

When there is, I will despise that one more than SW:TOR

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

DCUO i hate the combo combat

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    GW2 because of lack of trinity and repetitive "dynamic events", also because of the pre-release hype, dev hyperboles and the fans

I like GW2 BECAUSE it DOESN'T have  the Trinity - no more waiting for a healer, etc. What an awlful idea the trinity really was.

I hate GW2 because of fanatics like this guy.

I suppose in his defense sometimes the community can be toxic. I know when I was leaving wow one of the major reason was the attitude of the community. So much elitism because everyone could get gear and the lines were becoming blurred between the skilled hardcore versus the skilled casual which caused huge arguments over who was "eligible" to see the content. Community is a massive part of why I play Mmorpg's and a reason why I seek only games with welcoming people not the vitriolic mainstream that seem to be common place in the highest earning titles.

I get that but this guy takse it to the extreme, you can't say one negative(even constructive ones) thing about GW2 without him jumping down your throat.  I know he loves the game but he needs to realize not everyone does that's all i'm saying.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by superniceguy

SWTOR only because it is more of a single player game with co-op / multiplayer options TRYING to be a MMORPG

If it was on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well or just regarded as a single player game with multiplayer without a monthly fee and brought DLC frequently then I would not hate it, as a game in its own way it is OK, but it is completely pathetic as a MMORPG

Yet you feel compelled to constantly post in their forums.  Why do you think that is?

As a game I do not hate it, and now it is F2P I will play it more (soon when can buy more slots), but not as much as I would like due to the stupid F2P restrictions.

SWTOR just makes a joke of what a MMORPG should be

If the POLL was Most hated game, I would not have voted anything

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I voted WoW,

Before WoW MMOs could be complex vitual worlds with player freedom. WoW dumbded them down from "500 features" to maybe "50".

I remember the first time i tryed Wow, and was told to go and hunt wolves as a "quest" (i didnt even know what i quest was) and i didnt feel for hunting wolves and tryed to do something else. It didnt go well. As it turned out, i had to hunt wolves. That was something completely new for me. And also the level, class system was also new to me. I was usd to do whatever i wanted in a MMO.

• TurnipvegiTurnipvegi Member Posts: 3

I voted for WoW for not what it was when it came out, but for what it became.

WoW has changed so much over the years and has lost the many aspects that made the game good to start with. The community is entirely absent, the only people who interact with eachother are people in guilds, outside of that the game may as well be a huge lobby. The other problem is the artificial content filler. Dailies to me have ruined what an MMO is about. You should actually have to go out in the world and do different things and put effort working towards them. Now it's do X amount of dailies every day, why? because there isn't anything else to do. 

My final issue is how they changed tuning the game. Back in Vanilla and BC you needed to complete older content to actually move up and compete, thus having more content in the game instead of scrapping a raid for each new tier of gear. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I get that but this guy takse it to the extreme, you can't say one negative(even constructive ones) thing about GW2 without him jumping down your throat.  I know he loves the game but he needs to realize not everyone does that's all i'm saying.

I know exactly how you feel, except I'm on the opposite side of the fence.  I've read lots of posts from people who say they like GW2 and then the same collective group of haters has to jump in and tell the person why they are wrong.  They consistantly post more about GW2 than any other title, and yet they can't stand to play the game. Take a look at your post count with this new account, 5 posts, 3 of them are GW2 threads. 

So yeah, hatred is infectious.  Mind you, I don't spend much time in other game threads. A little, but nothing like some of the GW2 haters.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO)

I was excited for the title. I had great fun in high school (circa 1979-1981) playing with a great group of friends. Then we went off to differing colleges and and grew up (though I still fight this tooth and nail :) ).

I was lucky enough to get into the beta testing for it. I was sorely disappointed. It was nothing like D&D. I never bought it when it released.

The game itself may be a good MMO game. For the first (and last) time, I had extremely high expectations about the experience this game would provide. I was crushed.

I carry this "scar" with me and every MMO that comes out touting "D&D", it reopens. Pathfinder and Neverwinter Nights are the latest culprits. These games just do not get what D&D is about, in my eyes.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I know exactly how you feel, except I'm on the opposite side of the fence.  I've read lots of posts from people who say they like GW2 and then the same collective group of haters has to jump in and tell the person why they are wrong.  They consistantly post more about GW2 than any other title, and yet they can't stand to play the game. Take a look at your post count with this new account, 5 posts, 3 of them are GW2 threads. 

So yeah, hatred is infectious.  Mind you, I don't spend much time in other game threads. A little, but nothing like some of the GW2 haters.

I'm on GW2 threads because i'm interested in the game and want to play it some day when it has grown a bit but fans that defend the game to the extreme is killing it's growth and it's annoying and making me not want to play.  Every game has problems and we need people to point it out so the developers can see it and make changes or add things as needed.  He calls them haters, i call it feed back regardless of how negative it is.  It is their opinion and every opinion counts and noone is right or wrong.

• VilariusBlightVilariusBlight Member Posts: 6

I voted for SWTOR, but I'm really surprised that many of you guys did as well =o

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by daarco

I voted WoW,

Before WoW MMOs could be complex vitual worlds with player freedom. WoW dumbded them down from "500 features" to maybe "50".

I remember the first time i tryed Wow, and was told to go and hunt wolves as a "quest" (i didnt even know what i quest was) and i didnt feel for hunting wolves and tryed to do something else. It didnt go well. As it turned out, i had to hunt wolves. That was something completely new for me. And also the level, class system was also new to me. I was usd to do whatever i wanted in a MMO.

The problem isnt that wow did it, its that everyone else did it after wow. so yeah, my vote goes to WoW as well.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I chose other and my choice is Star Trek Online.  I just couldn't get into it at all and it just feels so clunky to me.