Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Hasn't MMORPG Reported The Release of This Title Overseas?

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Ragnarok 2 has come over seas and is in closed beta (not really closed as it is open to everyone with an account) from the 7th of December (today) to the 12th of December and will go into open beta on December 27th. To register for an account go to http://www.playpark.net/

Be warned that you may have a hard time reaching the Ragnarok 2 site because a lot of people are accessing it at the same time, but if you're patient you should be able to get in eventually with no problems. 

Anyways, I'm just a little curious, Ragarok is a fairly important title in the MMO world so I don't know why MMORPG.com wasn't reporting on this. Even if it is not a NA company publishing the site it's still an English version of the game available for the NA to play so  I would have thought this would have been reported on. There was even an announced "blockbuster" client for download before Ragnarok 2 was even announced so people could be ready to play this game as soon as it released because there was already a heavy suspicion that this unnanounced title was indeed Ragnarok 2.

MMORPG.com had plenty of chances to report on this, but I have noticed that they fail to report on the world of MMOs and MMORPGs and mainly focus on NA publishers and games (besides Perfect World, Nexon, and NCsoft it seems). Anyways, I hope this helps people who have been waiting to play this game.

Smile

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nonsense, now that GW2 has launched there is no reason to follow any other games. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Well, you see, what happens is this. When a new game is coming out, the devs come to the head of MMORPG asking for exposure.

The minions (also called staff writers for the low cost of their subscription fee) carry out the head of MMORPG on a big floating platform, much like the scene of Xerxes being hauled along in the 300 movie.

Then the MMORPG head says "EARTH, AND *waves hand* WATER*.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Ragnarok 2 has come over seas and is in closed beta (not really closed as it is open to everyone with an account) from the 7th of December (today) to the 12th of December and will go into open beta on December 27th. To register for an account go to http://www.playpark.net/

Be warned that you may have a hard time reaching the Ragnarok 2 site because a lot of people are accessing it at the same time, but if you're patient you should be able to get in eventually with no problems. 

Anyways, I'm just a little curious, Ragarok is a fairly important title in the MMO world so I don't know why MMORPG.com wasn't reporting on this. Even if it is not a NA company publishing the site it's still an English version of the game available for the NA to play so  I would have thought this would have been reported on. There was even an announced "blockbuster" client for download before Ragnarok 2 was even announced so people could be ready to play this game as soon as it released because there was already a heavy suspicion that this unnanounced title was indeed Ragnarok 2.

MMORPG.com had plenty of chances to report on this, but I have noticed that they fail to report on the world of MMOs and MMORPGs and mainly focus on NA publishers and games (besides Perfect World, Nexon, and NCsoft it seems). Anyways, I hope this helps people who have been waiting to play this game.

hmm - sounds like fanboi'ism. The most important MMO? really - why is that? You don't explain and just wax poetically about nothing, It looks like another Korean Anime inspired grind game.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by botrytis

hmm - sounds like fanboi'ism. The most important MMO? really - why is that? You don't explain and just wax poetically about nothing, It looks like another Korean Anime inspired grind game.

Ragnarok isnt the most important MMO, but it was a big deal a few years ago, if what the OP says is true, this site should have given it full coverage, like they should have done with a couple other titles that are coming from the east.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

You do realize that MMORPG covers quite a few MMO's. In fact, it is common place for fans of an MMO to come on here to share a discovery that is not yet on MMORPG. I have never felt this site ignores overseas developers or publishers. You have been on the forum long enough to see other similar threads regarding games that also haven't been given the spotlight too. So why do you now suddenly feel this partiuclar game is being shunned? There are a LOT more MMO's that aren't covered here as well. All from different parts of the world.

With that said, thanks for the update on this game. Gonna go read up on it a bit. Never did get into the original at all... but flavours change.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by lebros1989
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Razeekster

"..Ragnarok is a fairly important title in the MMO world.." but you somehow read "The most important MMO?"

Sounds like he is a fanboi as you are to a scholar.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to say, I don't enjoy words being added that I never even wrote. Also I can' be a "fanboi" botrytis, seeing as how I never enjoyed the original.

Smile

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Well for one, your link doesn't work (Or their site doesn't.) I know you said it was under heavy load, but it flat out doesn't work.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        Ragnarok 2 probably didn't offer any perks to MMORPG.com like TSW, SWTOR and GW2 did......
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Well for one, your link doesn't work (Or their site doesn't.) I know you said it was under heavy load, but it flat out doesn't work.

It's because a lot of people are trying to get into the site at this time. You could also try http://ro2.playpark.net/ but again, I can't promise you'll get in as the site seems to be either experiencing heavy traffic or technical difficulties.

Smile

Originally posted by Theocritus
        Ragnarok 2 probably didn't offer any perks to MMORPG.com like TSW, SWTOR and GW2 did......

MMORPG.com has stated several times that they don't take any "perks" to wrtie articles about games. I believe them. Why others don't is a mystery to me. I think you guys just enjoy living in your world where you think there's a conspiracy going around in every corner of the MMO world. It's actually what I've sort of noticed many MMO players have in common.

Smile

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Release where? Korea? Botswana? Ireland? Overseas from Whom? Could you be any more Vauge?

Overseas from Korea. Your rudeness is completely unnecessary. You could have just asked politely like a human being. Also it's a very known fact that Ragnarok comes from Korea so most people know that the sequel comes from there too.

Smile

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    You can give feedback about the things you want to see by using the contact us link: http://www.mmorpg.com/contactus.cfm or the Site Suggestions forum.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    Was very old,  good and  fun mmo. Personaly i will wait for open beta on 27 December. As was stated above, they didnt expected so many people to participate, so it crashed. Also a friend said that its a bit laggy.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I'll have to check it out. I remember playing Ragnorok a very long time ago but couldn't get into it for some reason. Dunno. All I know is I played many, many obscure overseas mmorpgs. But I remember Ragnorok and Lineage being pretty big deals at the time. Mmorpg.com dropped the ball on this one.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by theoneandonly
    Was very old,  good and  fun mmo. Personaly i will wait for open beta on 27 December. As was stated above, they didnt expected so many people to participate, so it crashed. Also a friend said that its a bit laggy.

Yeah, I think the server must be filled with a lot of players because I can't connect to it. At least I can listen to the pretty music at the start screen :)

Smile

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    When you've played one Korean game, you've played them all.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

When you've heard one racial stereotype, you've heard them all.

I'll agree to disagree. Korea has actually been doing some great things with MMOs as of late. They are the ones who are finally making a sandbox MMO that doesn't suck (ArcheAge). I can't say the same for the west where devs keep on doing the same old things that people have grown tired of.

I think the MMO community is going to shift in the next couple years to actually preferring Korean MMOs over Wetern ones just because Korea has defiantly outpased the West in MMOs when it comes to technology and graphics.

Smile

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Amana
    You can give feedback about the things you want to see by using the contact us link: http://www.mmorpg.com/contactus.cfm or the Site Suggestions forum.

Ill start doing that then, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

When you've heard one racial stereotype, you've heard them all.

Plus one for this comment too haha

Smile

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey guys,

To be perfectly honest... no one here heard of it.  We work mostly on press releases, contacts from developers, etc.  You'd not believe the amount of mail we sift through.  But nowhere have we received anything about RO2.  That said, we're looking into it now, and will get on it.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Now that was uncalled for... Ragnorok 2 is a lot different than the original. That's like saying you've played one Guild Wars you've played them both. That is so far from the truth it's not even funny.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey guys,

To be perfectly honest... no one here heard of it.  We work mostly on press releases, contacts from developers, etc.  You'd not believe the amount of mail we sift through.  But nowhere have we received anything about RO2.  That said, we're looking into it now, and will get on it.

Awesome to hear. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Smile

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey guys,

Awesome.

Let us know the juicy details!  :)