Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 will be the big e-sport of 2013

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Is not a conspiracy, you can just try it for yourself, go and log now, at this time in the morning you´ll will find servers ¨full¨ but in-game you will find just a few players around and Spvp games running. And the problem with the spvp is about how easy and casual it is, you dont need skill or strategy all you need to do is ninja capture points or kill NPCs, and im not even talking about balance, atm is the worst Spvp MMO in the market.  

Nah, that game is "WAR".

But you are partly right, they really need some different types of maps (and as I said before: Guild Vs guild).

You still need a sense of strategy to ninja points though, a good oponent will slaughter a bad team trying that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Freezzo
    Originally posted by Loke666

If GW2 want to become the big E-sport they need to add more maps (with some other options to win, like capture the flag and so on) and more importantly, guild Vs guild PvP.

Right now in current shape I dont see the game becomming the next big E-sport.

And I actually play GW2s PvP, while it is fun I miss the guild Vs guild battles from the first game, they were loads of fun.

Tbh I think Anet should look at some maps in SWTOR and RIFT. Their PvP is not all that good (standard MMO PvP stuff), but their map design is quite cool and they have a lot of variety. SWTOR Hutball and Voidstar give really cool mechanics with a bigger strategy than just node control.

Yeah, I could live with some similar permanent maps like that. The halloween PvP maps were pretty fun so ANET knows how to make different fun PvP maps already.

Fortunatley is adding stuff like this actually pretty easy unlike fixing TORs PvP.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Loke666

If GW2 want to become the big E-sport they need to add more maps (with some other options to win, like capture the flag and so on) and more importantly, guild Vs guild PvP.

Right now in current shape I dont see the game becomming the next big E-sport.

And I actually play GW2s PvP, while it is fun I miss the guild Vs guild battles from the first game, they were loads of fun.

Tbh I think Anet should look at some maps in SWTOR and RIFT. Their PvP is not all that good (standard MMO PvP stuff), but their map design is quite cool and they have a lot of variety. SWTOR Hutball and Voidstar give really cool mechanics with a bigger strategy than just node control.

People QQ alot about the Spvp in swtor, but to be honest, is pretty good, i mean is not about who kill more is about what team play better, wihout strategy or teamplay not matter how good ur gear is, you lose. Im a GW1 Veteran, even a War veteran but so far GW2 spvp is a casual joke, maybe it will be better in the future but now, is not.   

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rift and swtor - lol come on now, two of the worst mmos going for pvp.

As for gw2, no it won't be the Esports of 2013. Not with dota2, lol, csgo, starcraft 2, company of heroes 2 etc..
    Arenanet should be looking at gw1 for its spvp and planetside 2 for its WvW ideas.

You know actual pc games, rather than pve raid grinders with tacked on afterthought pvp like rift, wow & swtor.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Is not a conspiracy, you can just try it for yourself, go and log now, at this time in the morning you´ll will find servers ¨full¨ but in-game you will find just a few players around and Spvp games running. And the problem with the spvp is about how easy and casual it is, you dont need skill or strategy all you need to do is ninja capture points or kill NPCs, and im not even talking about balance, atm is the worst Spvp MMO in the market.  

I just did that, right now, 2 mins after your post

...and you are a liar, Hikaru77.

Lion's Arch is in overflow, people are spamming for groups and there's too many sPVP games running to count. I am now in a queue for WvW in EB.

The server is obviously full.

There are 8 people in the mist. 

15 Spvp matches - Used to be 60 in the am

No queue for EB WvW - Used to be 2 hour plus queues just about all day

No overflow for Lions Arc.

Not cool calling him a liar, when you seem to be.. Not telling the whole truth. I cann SS if need be. Jade Quarry.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Except for this of course, taken last night

Some people are starting to sound like EQ players when WoW came out.

Time to face it, GW2 is doing very well.

I just did that, right now, 2 mins after your post

...and you are a liar, Hikaru77.

Lion's Arch is in overflow, people are spamming for groups and there's too many sPVP games running to count. I am now in a queue for WvW in EB.

The server is obviously full.

I think you need to adjust your signature text.  It should read "GW2 All Servers are Full" or "GW2 Big Esport of 2013"

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

As for gw2, no it won't be the Esports of 2013. Not with dota2, lol, csgo, starcraft 2, company of heroes 2 etc..

Try reading what other people type for a change, it might enlighten your world. I said their MAP DESIGN was good, not the PvP. You need tactics to win and if you play smarter than an outgeared opponent (which happens the case in those games), you can still win.

Also it's not about becoming the biggest, but a viable e-sport.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    No.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Try reading what other people type for a change, it might enlighten your world. I said their MAP DESIGN was good, not the PvP. You need tactics to win and if you play smarter than an outgeared opponent (which happens the case in those games), you can still win.

Also it's not about becoming the biggest, but a viable e-sport.

Rift battlegrounds are a joke. SWTOR did have some decent objective designs to give them credit. As much as everyone hated it, Huttball was a very solid design.

Some of the initial GW2 maps are a bit lackluster. Only the underwater one really stood out as having decent objectives. The new temple zone however is very well designed. I think they need to go back to the drawing board with a few of the other maps though.

Some alternate objectives would be nice too, like the Halloween PvP zones.  

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by grimal

I think you need to adjust your signature text.  It should read "GW2 All Servers are Full" or "GW2 Big Esport of 2013"

I like my sig. I've had it for a long time. 

Fanboys of any game really bother me (all fanboys are also "haters", since they hate other games, it's all very tribal), SWTOR fanboys really had it in for me when I accurately predicted what would happen with that game. And with AOC, TSW and Tera, and a few others.

EAware was adamant that SWTOR still had huge subs, when it was obvious from playing that the game was dead.

I play GW2 and it is obviously a game with lots of players and full servers, and visibly healthy and growing, regardless of what the hater/fanboy posts keep trying to push.

What matters most to me is what's actually happening, regardless of developer hype and fanboy wishful thinking. And I do truly think that GW2 has what it takes on the e-sports side.

Originally posted by bcbully

Hey you're the guy saying WoW is an e-sport. It is not.

How about checking your facts with MLG, ESL or any e-sports community.

However, for GW2, here's the words of ESL, taken a few days ago, 29 November 2012:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/76323-esl-to-pick-up-gw2-and-guru-sotg-reminder/

ESL.eu's Admin Staff Member Peli recently posted on reddit that they are indeed thinking about picking up Guild Wars 2 to be a part of their e-sport leagues. This would mean a huge deal for Guild Wars 2 e-Sport scene and could possibly be the beginning of something great!

They want the community to give them feedback on this idea so be sure to drop by and let them know just how much we want this!

"I'm Peli from ESL.eu Admin Staff. 

We are thinking about opening a Guild Wars 2 section on ESL.eu. To make it happen, we need few things.

etc etc"

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Hey you're the guy saying WoW is an e-sport. It is not.

How about checking your facts with MLG, ESL or any e-sports community.

There you go again. Not telling the whole truth. WoW was with MLG for years. It was dropped in 2010. Blizzard still host paid tournaments, and it's still covered by just about all the esports sites. 

Do you really think GW2 will ever produce the same rich Esport history? Ehh doesn't matter. I don't have to be the one to rain on your parade. Carry on.

Blizzard are prominent in e sports through starcraft 1 & 2 and dota. Not wow.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well i dunno why everyone is so negative, yes there are a lot of issues around the Mists in general, nut if they keep all these pormises kinda accurate and fast, it has potentials to become an e-sport, at least the sPvP is pretty balanced, and the game play is pretty active and dynamic whatever the haters say, it lacks of support. f.e. the ladder system Starcraft has with seasons and ranks is awesome

but in order to work all these they have to fix the point mechanics were they are broken, its sad someone to gain more points out of tournaments free or paid ...

anyway but this hate about broken gameplay and PvE focus its out of the blue for me . pure mindless hatred speeches i enjoy its gameplay far beyond every MMO out there

It's not hate its just acknowledgement that other games do the pvp better.

Namely gw1 did the whole arena thing better

But also planetside 2 does the rvr thing better also.

Gw2 is still a strong all-rounder mmo
    Originally posted by elitero

Hey you're the guy saying WoW is an e-sport. It is not. How about checking your facts with MLG, ESL or any e-sports community.  
    There you go again. Not telling the whole truth. WoW was with MLG for years. It was dropped in 2010. Blizzard still host paid tournaments, and it's still covered by just about all the esports sites. 

Do you really think GW2 will ever produce the same rich Esport history? Ehh doesn't matter. I don't have to be the one to rain on your parade. Carry on.

[mod edit]

ok maybe not "just about all" any more, been awhile since I looked....

We can agree though, that -

1. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money has been won while Arena was hosted by MLG, and after MLG.

2. The top raiding guilds are still sponsored year round.  

3. WoW is still played professionally for the prize money and the sponsorships

WoW meets the definition of Esport. It is not covered by the "major e-sports sites" like it used to be. At this time GW2 has a long way to go to even get where WoW is currently at on a esports level. 

It's pretty amazing that blizzard was able to pull it off for so long without separate pve and pvp.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    No it won't.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by elitero

Hey you're the guy saying WoW is an e-sport. It is not. How about checking your facts with MLG, ESL or any e-sports community.  

[mod edit]

ok maybe not "just about all" any more, been awhile since I looked....

We can agree though, that -

1. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money has been won while Arena was hosted by MLG, and after MLG.

2. The top raiding guilds are still sponsored year round.  

3. WoW is still played professionally for the prize money and the sponsorships

WoW meets the definition of Esport. It is not covered by the "major e-sports sites" like it used to be. At this time GW2 has a long way to go to even get where WoW is currently at on a esports level. 

It's pretty amazing that blizzard was able to pull it off for so long without separate pve and pvp.

Lets be honest, for real this time. WoW isn't an esport. It was at one point on the mayor esports tournament list because it's wow and because it's blizzard. But it got removed because it was like fitting a round peg in a square. It's a game that is not meant for esport.

GW2 is just a couple of months old and shows tons of promise as an esport. The problem around here is that the vast mayority only play a couple of pvp matches in random pick ups, at most get to rank 20 and then come here saying it's a mess. If they would actually get a group of people together and play paid tourneys they would see where the esport actually would take place.

Lets be honest, for real this time. WoW isn't an esport. It was at one point on the mayor esports tournament list because it's wow and because it's blizzard. But it got removed because it was like fitting a round peg in a square. It's a game that is not meant for esport.

GW2 is just a couple of months old and shows tons of promise as an esport. The problem around here is that the vast mayority only play a couple of pvp matches in random pick ups, at most get to rank 20 and then come here saying it's a mess. If they would actually get a group of people together and play paid tourneys they would see where the esport actually would take place.

We can debate what is and what isn't an esport.  There will be points on both sides.

I curious why you feel GW2 shows promise, and WoW who has been, is fitting a round peg in a square hole. 

I feel that mmorpg combat in general may fit the round peg, square whole.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

Originally posted by Kuppa Originally posted by bcbully  

Lets be honest, for real this time. WoW isn't an esport. It was at one point on the mayor esports tournament list because it's wow and because it's blizzard. But it got removed because it was like fitting a round peg in a square. It's a game that is not meant for esport.   GW2 is just a couple of months old and shows tons of promise as an esport. The problem around here is that the vast mayority only play a couple of pvp matches in random pick ups, at most get to rank 20 and then come here saying it's a mess. If they would actually get a group of people together and play paid tourneys they would see where the esport actually would take place.  
    We can debate what is and what isn't an esport.  There will be points on both sides.

I curious why you feel GW2 shows promise, and WoW who has been, is fitting a round peg in a square hole. 

I am curious why you feel to keep posting about this over and over when WoW was indeed kicked out of e-sport and you think since they are running their own tornament it makes it an e-sport.

It almost feels like that you want to jump on any negative point against GW2 and just side with that without even thinking about what you are saying. I mean I have been seeing this for months now not just today or yesterday.

Clearly BCBully you haven't PVPed much in WoW or are very biased, or you would know why WoW will never be an esport, and even when Blizzard pushed it, all the esports pros laughed at the attempt. 

This is what Zechs from SK gaming (a WoW arena vet) said:

"In all honesty, WoW was always the spotty, red-haired cousin that never quite fit in.

Even 80% of the people who do play it think that PvP is a joke

On top of that, the game has never been properly balanced and, in hindsight, I’m not sure Blizzard ever honestly tried to balance arenas correctly."

As a multi-glad myself, this rings 100% true: WoW's meta is fundamentally PVE, uncompetitive, and class balance is a ridiculous merry-go-round of overpowered gibberish. 

GW2 shows huge promise in this area.

It is already the most balanced MMO and shows real signs of prioritising balance and competitiveness in its PVP.

All they need is to roll out the esports features and I am certain in a few months we'll be looking at the first professional GW2 teams, paid and sponsored to PVP in MLG, ESL etc.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Starcraft 2 and League of Legends will continue to dominate in that field.