It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
1) Daily quests have become an accepted part of end game content.
For me, daily quests have ruined modern MMOs. I honestly don't see why someone would want to do the same few quests every day for months on end. It's even worse when other people don't want to do anything else because they feel they have to do their dailies in order to get X reward. Don't even let me get started on the havoc these quests have on ingame economies.
2) Ganking has 0 penalties.
This is a far, far second but it annoys me to no end that someone 40-50 levels higher can sit for hours wiping any lowbie that comes into their view, just because they can without repurcussion.
PvP in MMOs...Ill play WoT if I want to shoot people
Sandboxes...I know im in the minority forum wise[. I dont want to have to "figure it out". Just show me the 10 rats I need to kill.
No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin
Things i don't like about cars:
Some of my list, in no perticular order:
Quests / Missions
Lack of full loot
No meaningful exploration
No need to work with others (its an MMO ffs)
Lack of meaningful crafting
PVP that doesnt involve PLAYER skill, but instead favors character skill or level
Lack of personal housing
Making it too easy to reach a high level of character skill or level
Lack of treasure hunting
The game holding my hand becuase I am unique, special, delicate flower with feelings that might get virtually hurt
Theres many more but I lost the desire to continue typing them all out.
ANYTHING that get much away from realistic interactions between players or between players and the world.
Originally posted by botrytis Originally posted by loulaki3) fake hero dimensions, if i want to become a hero for NPCs i go play a single play game, its good to have personal quests but not the style you save the world as everyone else around you ...
In the Human area, as soon as you are finished with the intro, you are forever known as "The Hero of Shaemor."
As you go through the game, you become the "go-to guy" in every order (The Durmand Priory, The Order of Whispers, and the Vigil).
What loulaki was addressing is that the "stories" MMOs now employ make every player the savior of the universe.
Player1: "YAY! I Saved the world!"Player2: "Oh really? Cool! I did that last week. Good job!"
Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.- FARGIN_WAR
1. Mounts replacing travel buffs
2. Removal of buff dependencies and buff classes in the name of balance and "fairness"
3. The removal of the pure crowd controller that could lock down mobs for longer periods in the name of balance
5. The insane focus on balance when it comes to PvE. Back in the day some classes were OP, some were mediocre and some sucked. Now everybody has to be exactly the same. You deal poison damage, I deal frost, that guy overthere deals fire damage. We all do the same damage but in a slightly different way
6. Little to no death penalty.
I miss dependencies on buffs and classes, I miss not having a horse, turtle or dragon to ride on and I miss the wast differences between classes and their "jobs"
Originally posted by Kyleran That raiding is the "end game" for MMORPG's That there even is a concept such as end game. That MMO's should be mostly soloable because socialiazation takes too much time and not worth the time
Fully agree with this!!!
Where's the any key?
Classes and levels
Lack of death penalty
Lack of incentive to group
'On-rails' feeling of running from zone to zone. Hell, distinct zones in general.
Meaningless city hubs / crappy excuses for 'cities'. Where do all the people live?
Weak crafting systems / in game economies.
Edit to add: the damn WoW clone cartoony atmosphere. I hate it. Stylization does have its place.. wakfu and dofus for instance. They're 'cute' on the surface. But there is a lack of gritty, realistic, dark fantasy settings imo.
Been bangn' since pong
I'm sure someone has already mentioned this...
-Taunting and tanking.
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky
Lol, so many awesome posts... I agree bag slots and inventory is a huge disappointment, why am I limited to a number of slots regardless of if the item is a feather or an elephant egg? Shouldn't mass mean I can store more tiny items and less bigger ones? Why do I have to be penalized with lacking inventory slots? Especially on a game which has a subscription and doesn't sell me bigger backpacks, and limits the size of tailor made backpacks as well.
Why can't I just expand my bank more? Should be a great way to drain money out of the in-game economy along with mounts, right? What I'd give for inventory space...
Lack of expansion would also go with void storage/cosmetic wardrobe and other features, it all should be expanded!! It is time to let go of the past and move on with a brighter future of no more inventory constraints!! Oh, I'd love to head over to my mammoth and pack my items in some saddlebags for extra room on my personal avatar's inventory!!
There is no reason crafting is always weak and raiding is key, lack of socialization and community in mmos with groups being dead silent is a shame, apparently without camping and long 8-10 hr groups in Evequest 1 you no longer speak to people anymore. Crafters need to improve raiders equipment, this requires the no trade slot and would work like enchanting already does on WoW.
However, bind on pickup gear grinding still sucks, and most gear maybe even raid gear should be bind on account or even openly tradable... Everquest 2 already has raid gear as bind on account, which is sweet. However, below raid gear should mostly be tradable to anyone for the market economy, no trade/bind on pickup and heirloom mean that it usually is dis-enchanted/transmuted/salvaged or sold to an npc vendor...
Must we always have the same issues plaguing the industry that clones sell , and all unique games falter and fade away?
Why do you have to dismount and remount everytime you fight or gather a harvest node? It's an annoyance, and combat on mounts would be so much fun... 3-Dimensiional combat like Aion, flying mounts should do this, or at the very least not require you to dismount...
Thanks Everquest for not forcing constant wasting of time on dismounting!!
I only read the first page but...
this thread is full of awesome. Most MMOs today (as in all) suck DEEZ NUTZ so bad it is not even funny.
One COMMERCIAL fantasy MMO that didn't suck DEEZ NUTZ could get $250.00 a year from me easy. Too bad they don't wasn my cash lol.
I play Lord of Ultima. One of the few true non-carebear games out there, even if it is browser based.
I'll quickly add my drunk list of things game developers with IQs of peanuts can't figure out:
1) BoP. Ya, it is retarded.
2) Carebear death penalties.
3) Auction houses that resemble Ebay more than a medieval economy.
4) Themepark zones (mentioned 20 times already: level 1-5 here, 6-10 here, etc. etc.)
5) Instances (Battlegrounds)
6) Instances (Raids)
7) Instances (Zones, perhaps the worst immersion killer ever)
8) Bunnies dropping platemail (inspired by previous poster)
9) Quest givers asking you to kill the slutty wolves beside them
10) Repeatable quests (daily or otherwise, unless truly random, which is well, never)
11) Game altering nerfs (I should not be stronger 1 month in than 6 months later...listening Funcom? lol)
11) Pay to win (And this is coming from a F2P whale, relatively speaking)
12) EZ BREEZY PvE (Hi Tera, how are you? I should die before level 20 at least once...since I'm not very good at games)
13) Monty Haul (This isn't Torchlight every monster shouldn't drop 55 things)
14) Magical punctuation (I'll run to the question mark if you offer it to me, but don't expect me to respect the game after that)
God, I could go on for hours.
Rewards for participation. Hence, a generation of players reluctant to do anything that is not directly rewarded.
And gonna swipe Patrick Rothfuss' list, just because it's so good:
1. Prophecy. I don’t ever want to read another novel about “the chosen one.”
2. The helpless damsel. I’ve known a fair number of damsels in my day. The vast majority of them don’t need saving.
3. Elves with bows who live in trees. Dwarves with axes who live in caves. It was fine when Tolkien did it, but that was 60 years ago. It’s time for us to move on.
4. Brooding vampires. Any sort of vampire should probably be avoided at this point. The genre is kinda overrun.
5. Dragons. "In the game, you fight a dragon. And you know what? It was great. I was running around, getting burned by fire, worried I was going to die. It was exciting, dramatic. Then, a little while later, you fight another dragon. Then another. And another. And eventually, I’m just irritated by them. It was boring. You should never be bored fighting a dragon. When that happens, someone has really dropped the ball in terms of storytelling."
Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.
Female characters wearing a pasty and a leather thong that have the same AC and can take as much damage as a male character wearing full plate. Also games that have completely different looks for each sex of the same armor type (I'm looking at you WoW). A male puts on Total Coverage Chestpiece of Bulkiness and it looks like a chestpiece but you hand it to a female and it magically turns into Strip Club Time!
INB4 Sex Sells. Sex is not a be all end all folks. Lets drop our collective cocks and try logic once in a while shall we?
5 things here
-WoW style questing (short quests with big ! or ? over quest giver)
- INSTANCES my biggest thing gripe of modern day MMOs MMORPG are spose to bring the comunity together while do we teasr it appart with instances that make the game feel like a lobby co up game. what makes thing worst is that u must do these to get the best gear.
- Getting new gear every 5 minutes to replace the piece you just got from the previous quest, gear is just to abundant in todays games you dont hold onto a piece for more then a day (or a single level) without it getting replaced espiecly when leveling
-A lack of challenge