Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by coretex666

Game concept which I described in my signature is what I would prefer.

Btw for me GW 2 is very close to WoW and all similar games released since 2004. Same boundaries, just some minor changes.

I accept that many people like the game. I, personally, need something more from MMO. I want depth. I consider GW 2 to be like arcade action console game rather than MMORPG which I would like to play. Consequently, I stated that the fact that such game gets "game of the year" award may motivate producers to create MMOs like this which would be end of MMO gaming for me.

I think that MMOs need to change...dramatically, but in the opposite direction than GW 2 went. It is even more simple and arcade than what we were being fed since 2004. I believe that MMOs need to go the other direction...more depth, complexity, meaning, long term motivation to play,...

The game model in your signature has some good ideas, but is globally a recipe for failure. Just the part about having to stop to eat, drink and sleep is actually already a recipe for failure. What sounds "fun" on the paper, and will possibly be fun the first couple of times, will quickly become annoying and boring, a shore... something that makes players quit without looking back.

Also, a two party system has already proved being weak for PvP. Best is an odd number of factions, like e.g. 3.

Then, you complain that actual games are "linear" with "zones divided by level", but in your "dream game" you do exactly the same with your two nations. What about a game where freedom is total, and factions are player created?

Globally, your concept would be a nightmare of micromanagement for the player. Something not fun at all. Instead of playing and having fun, people would have to spend most of their online time getting ready so they can finally play and have fun. That would never work, and the servers would be dead before the end of the first month.

Other games have failed on similar concepts already.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Originally posted by coretex666 Game concept which I described in my signature is what I would prefer. Btw for me GW 2 is very close to WoW and all similar games released since 2004. Same boundaries, just some minor changes. I accept that many people like the game. I, personally, need something more from MMO. I want depth. I consider GW 2 to be like arcade action console game rather than MMORPG which I would like to play. Consequently, I stated that the fact that such game gets "game of the year" award may motivate producers to create MMOs like this which would be end of MMO gaming for me. I think that MMOs need to change...dramatically, but in the opposite direction than GW 2 went. It is even more simple and arcade than what we were being fed since 2004. I believe that MMOs need to go the other direction...more depth, complexity, meaning, long term motivation to play,...

The game model in your signature has some good ideas, but is globally a recipe for failure. Just the part about having to stop to eat, drink and sleep is actually already a recipe for failure. What sounds "fun" on the paper, and will possibly be fun the first couple of times, will quickly become annoying and boring, a shore... something that makes players quit without looking back.

Also, a two party system has already proved being weak for PvP. Best is an odd number of factions, like e.g. 3.

Then, you complain that actual games are "linear" with "zones divided by level", but in your "dream game" you do exactly the same with your two nations. What about a game where freedom is total, and factions are player created?

Globally, your concept would be a nightmare of micromanagement for the player. Something not fun at all. Instead of playing and having fun, people would have to spend most of their online time getting ready so they can finally play and have fun. That would never work, and the servers would be dead before the end of the first month.

Other games have failed on similar concepts already.

Probably in the minority here, but i really enjoyed fallout NV hard mode, which requires you to rest, drink and such. Similarly I also enjoyed the Skyrim mod: Hypothermia.

I'm sure there is a market for that kind of game mechanic or am i the only one that liked NV?

On GW2: I really do think it needs more depth. I like "micro systems" in rpgs which this seems to lack.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Yes time of all places voted GW2 #1 game of 2012.  Notice it doesn't say #1 MMO of 2012.  Tells you a little about just how good this game really is.

http://techland.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/guild-wars-2-pc/#/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/xenoblade-chronicles-wii/?&_suid=13546821605050845328618916812

Wow. Time voted it... I spose I was wrong to quit. Damnit. I'm always wrong.

By the way, their top gadget was the iPhone 5, their top song was Usher "Climax".. top movie was "Amour"..... fucking ugh... I can't list anymore reasons I don't read Time... 

Another note; the number one game of 2011 was Minecraft. The number one of 2010... Alan Wake. A more prestigious list could not be had..lol

Originally posted by Nitth

Probably in the minority here, but i really enjoyed fallout NV hard mode, which requires you to rest, drink and such. Similarly I also enjoyed the Skyrim mod: Hypothermia.

I'm sure there is a market for that kind of game mechanic or am i the only one that liked NV?

Question is, how much micro management is tolerable before the game turns into a shore rather than a fun activity? Food is already in most games, but it's not mandatory to be able to play. Having to stop to eat every hour because you are "starving" takes it to a whole different level... fun for a while, boring afterwards, and it doesn't really add anything to the game.

I was there when MMOs were about "going to school uphill in the snow while freezing every morning". I've played those games. There are good things that are lost and which should indeed return, but I don't miss all that micro management you had to go through just to be able to play. I remember doing arrows for my archer in Asheron's Call... first manually, then with addons thanks to Decal. The first time, it's fun. "Hey, I'm doing my own arrows, how cool is that?". Then it becomes a shore. Spending 15+ minutes making arrows just to be able to finally play is NOT fun on the long term. It's repetitive, boring and tedious. Same goes for those ideas about food and stuff... first time: "yay, how cool is that, my character eats, it's realism!"... tenth time: "come on already, eat faster, I want to play".

While a life sized virtual world, where traveling could take months, food is a necessity or your character dies, as well as sleeping, may sound attractive to some... on the paper. I'm willing to bet that most if not all of those who find the idea attractive would quit during the first month after release of such a game, bored to death by all what they have to go through to finally be able to play. Because remember... while some people may take games more seriously than life, most people are just "playing" games.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Korrigan. I would gladly accept some micromanament of this type. GW2 has already taken a turn down the "run x dungeon x number of times path" and to be honest. I personally can not think of anything more boring and played out. The more I experienced GW2 the more played out and average it felt.

I long for the days of even "some" sandboxy elements. I miss large worlds focused on exploration. I miss social aspects and community driven events. I miss meaningful and interesting crafting. I can not find the RP in any of our current MMORPG titles.

Next up on the list is ESO and it literally looks like more of the same. A Guild Wars 2.5 if you will. GW2 itself is more of the same.. The longer I played it the more obvious it became. 

Everything that comes down the pipe keeps me (and the bulk of my friends) interested for around two months tops. Literally out of (counts in head) 8 friends that went into GW2 wtih me. One is still playing the game on a regular bassis. Poor retention and poor depth. Every single one of them has retreated back to old MMOs or games like Skyrim. 

Originally posted by Jyiiga

Korrigan. I would gladly accept some micromanament of this type. GW2 has already taken a turn down the "run x dungeon x number of times path" and to be honest. I personally can not think of anything more boring and played out. The more I experienced GW2 the more played out and average it felt.

We agree on this (the boring dungeon part) I think. But two wrongs don't make one right. What is more boring, farming dungeons, or spending 15+ minutes crafting arrows before you can play? Both are boring.

I long for the days of even "some" sandboxy elements. I miss large worlds focused on exploration. I miss social aspects and community driven events. I miss meaningful and interesting crafting. I can not find the RP in any of our current MMORPG titles.

I agree, but then GW2 is a step in the right direction. I can't think of another AAA MMORPG in the last 8 years more focused on encouraging exploration. And no, not everything is marked on the map, definitely not, and this comes from someone with 100% map exploration.

"WoW clones" hold your hand from quest hub to the next quest hub. And you don't have a choice most of the times, it's a linear path to the max level. GW2 doesn't do that. Just like games like AC1, when you log in, you have the choice between a broad range of activities, and all make your character progress.

GW2 definitely lacks "fluff" activities. What would I add to the game? Housing, mounts, stuff you can collect without grinding dungeons. Mini games, hobbies, fishing, etc... But the game is young. For instance, LOTRO didn't have all that stuff at release either, all was added later.

But saying that GW2 doesn't have a large world focused on exploration is one of the most unfair thing I've read about this game.

Next up on the list is ESO and it literally looks like more of the same. A Guild Wars 2.5 if you will. GW2 itself is more of the same.. The longer I played it the more obvious it became. 

I've learned not to speculate on the future. The first things we've learned about ESO smelled like another version of a crappy WoW clone. I'm actually glad to see they are getting ideas from GW2. And I definitely don't agree GW2 is more of the same... log into SW:TOR, LOTRO or WoW, play a bit... it's obvious GW2 is NOT a WoW clone.

Everything that comes down the pipe keeps me (and the bulk of my friends) interested for around two months tops. Literally out of (counts in head) 8 friends that went into GW2 wtih me. One is still playing the game on a regular bassis. Poor retention and poor depth. Every single one of them has retreated back to old MMOs or games like Skyrim. 

Question is... is it the fault of the game, or the player's fault? And I find it quite amusing that someone blames GW2 for "poor retention and poor depth", and then goes back to one of the many dungeon grind based WoW clones.

Now to each his own of course. MMO players are a complicated kind... you give them a game with dungeons, they don't want to grind dungeons. You give them a huge world to explore, they don't want to explore. But then, you give them a game with less dungeonning, and suddendly, they want more dungeons to grind! They are sick of WoW clones with quest hubs and linear levelling paths, but when you give them a game where the more you advance, the more the whole world is your playground, they want their linear quest hubs back, they are lost without their little "!" over the NPC heads to tell them where to go next. They complain the only thing to do is to grind dungeons, and then you give them varied activities like jumping puzzles, exploration, crafting as a valid way to level, PvP available at any level, and they aren't happy either.

I don't think I'm going to play GW2 for as long as AC1 or WoW. But I'm still having fun, and more important, I'm VERY happy that the game gave a masssive kick into the hornet nest of crappy WoW clones we got these last 8 years. It gives me hope for future MMORPGs. And the fact that TESO won't be "WoW clone number XII" but something more is definitely partially due to GW2's success.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Nitth

Question is, how much micro management is tolerable before the game turns into a shore rather than a fun activity? Food is already in most games, but it's not mandatory to be able to play. Having to stop to eat every hour because you are "starving" takes it to a whole different level... fun for a while, boring afterwards, and it doesn't really add anything to the game.

I was there when MMOs were about "going to school uphill in the snow while freezing every morning". I've played those games. There are good things that are lost and which should indeed return, but I don't miss all that micro management you had to go through just to be able to play. I remember doing arrows for my archer in Asheron's Call... first manually, then with addons thanks to Decal. The first time, it's fun. "Hey, I'm doing my own arrows, how cool is that?". Then it becomes a shore. Spending 15+ minutes making arrows just to be able to finally play is NOT fun on the long term. It's repetitive, boring and tedious. Same goes for those ideas about food and stuff... first time: "yay, how cool is that, my character eats, it's realism!"... tenth time: "come on already, eat faster, I want to play".

While a life sized virtual world, where traveling could take months, food is a necessity or your character dies, as well as sleeping, may sound attractive to some... on the paper. I'm willing to bet that most if not all of those who find the idea attractive would quit during the first month after release of such a game, bored to death by all what they have to go through to finally be able to play. Because remember... while some people may take games more seriously than life, most people are just "playing" games.

I agree Korrigan. A huge virtual world while nice on paper would be a total pain in the ass to program. We still do not have enough computer power for a world of this magnatude.

I won't even mention the complaints a game like that would get. 'I haven't seen another gamer where I am in months!!!' I can see it all now.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    This seems a bit misleading as nothing was "voted" on that I can see.  It looks like a list compiled by the writers/editors of the magazine.  By the title of this thread I thought it was something voted on by the readers of Time, but if it was, it isn't indicated anywhere in the link.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Didn't SWTOR win a bunch of awards last year?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Yes and here we are a year later and most (or at least the most vocal) find it underserving of them.

Be curious to see what people feel about this award a year from now.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by grimal

Yes and here we are a year later and most (or at least the most vocal) find it underserving of them.

I think the image in my signature is a good guess.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

I think the image in my signature is a good guess.

Probably right.  Even the most diehard of fans are beginning to admit they won't "be playing the game for years and years."

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

I disagree with the list aswell.

Assassins Creed III shoulda got number 1 and GW2 should have gotten number 2. 

But this is all just my opinion. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i'd be curious if GW2 is going to roll out an expansion next year :)

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

nice sig

Originally posted by Greyhooff

nice sig

Irony at its best.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

nice sig

Irony at its best.

My current sig below was correct. My paint skills have mad predictive power.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

If Martha Stewart Living gave it GOTY, GW2 fans would be screaming, "See, it IS the best game of 2012!"

Seriously, it's Time magazine. Let's wait for nomination/awards from people who actually are in the business of reporting on MMOs.  Or better yet, player awards. 

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

2012 hasn't really been a great year for releases, so I'm not sure there's much pride to be taken from one site nominating it.  There were a few big name sequals, but most felt like more of the same.  That's not bad, just not the kind of thing you have make lists like this.

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.  There has also been a large falling out of the community with GW2, mainly due to the overhype and fanboi/hater dynamic that happens with these games.  I'm sure GW2 will continue to do very well, but I expect it to remain as relevant in the industry as the first one was.  A solid game for people who like the B2P model and gameplay, but not the industry changer anyone expected.

And, like someone else said, SWtOR was nominated for many of these kinds of awards last year and we all know how that ended up.

You make me like charity

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's been a great year
    Mmo wise - gw2 and tsw are a step in the right direction of getting away from hub gameplay, though ultimately got a bit boring once leveled. Planetside 2 is the best mmo in bloody years. What did we have last year - swtor - nuff said.

Big budget single players - dishonoured, farcry 3, Xcom. Ok last year had excellent skyrim, a few other pretty good games like arkham city, but I reckon 2012 has more good uns - borderlands 2, max payne etc.. if nothing else 2012 was an awesome year for fps instead of all the usually cod style rubbish.

Indie games - well 2011 brought minecraft and terraria so yeah probably better last year. But then this year had the likes of hotline Miami and ftl.
    Originally posted by asmkm22

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.

based on what?

D3 had  outstanding aunch sales and seems to have fizzled after its first month (May/June)

and no other PC game in *history* came close to Diablo3 launch month sales

I cannot prove anything

but I think its reasonable to believe that GW2 is outselling D3 for continual sales

I dont mean overall sales,  I mean ongoing sales if you were to look at November 2012 and December 2012

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Nadia

In terms of sales, GW2 isn't doing so hot.  Not bad, but not nearly as well as compared to games like Diablo 3.

based on what?

D3 had  outstanding aunch sales and seems to have fizzled after its first month (May/June)

I cannot prove anything

but I think its reasonable to believe that GW2 is outselling D3 for continual sales

I dont mean overall sales,  I mean ongoing sales if you were to look at November 2012 and December 2012

D3....phhffffft.  D4 won't get a 1/4 of the sales D3 did.  Thats how bad D3 was/is.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    The Walking Dead should've been on that list. Besides that, it looks good.
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I think its reasonable to believe that GW2 is outselling D3 for continual sales

D3....phhffffft.  D4 won't get a 1/4 of the sales D3 did.  Thats how bad D3 was/is.

agree - there's a planned expansion for D3

D3 expansion should do ok but wont compare to D3 launch sales

based on what?

I cannot prove anything

I'd have to disagree.  I think D3 is still selling fairly well.