Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I will wait on the real GOTY awards from IGN. This is not even from a gaming site. LMAO
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Might be the best game released this year, but the best MMORPG came out quite some time ago.

For me, some time ago was 2003. Unfortunately, I was not introduced to her until 2005. Nevertheless, she somehow still remains the brightest light this once potentially limitless genre has ever known.

Amazing to realize that her next decade is so close on the horizon.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

After more than 3 months of playing GW2 i finally got to finish the historyline with my main tonight....

It was the MOST EPIC battle i´ve ever experienced in a game!!!

It was worth the wait !!!  Love the game !

For me GW2 is GOTY.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

What I liked about that list is:

GW2 > MOP

Torchlight 2 > Diablo 3

Demonstrates actual proper gamer tastes rather than the mindless fanatacism of blizzdrones plugging lazy games made for kids.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Loke666

Top voted MMO is not really a surprise, while X-fire numbers are pretty suspicious at best games like TOR had fallen to almost nothing after 3 months while GW2 been at about half Wows numbers the last 2 months... That doesnt really prove much about GW2s actual numbers except that it does somewhere between okay and good but it is a good sign.

Also, all stores in my card have sold out their gemcards and my buddy who works in EB games say it is one of the topselling games.

However that it is the top game altogether is unexpected to me... I guess it have been a pretty bad year with lots of sequels because MMOs rarely win this price.

It is also surprising that Diablo 3 did so bad, there have been many complains but with the incredible large salesnumbers it had I would assume more people should have voted for it. Maybe it is because the initial technical problems it had.

Anyways, gratz to GW2 and the other games on the list.

Except GW2 keeps losing players and is now down behind Diablo 3 player numbers on Xfire. In time played it barely beats it, but evyone can see it will drop behind D3 that western tool within days ...

not even the 2 last patches helped it out.

i consider the value of the link non valid too.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Remember when SWTOR was GOTY, having been released just right before the end of the year was done?

Yeah... good times eh?

...incase you can't get the sarcasm, it means nothing.  Just a matter of who paid whom more to grab a title in most cases sadly.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by sportsfan

Except GW2 keeps losing players and is now down behind Diablo 3 player numbers on Xfire. In time played it barely beats it, but evyone can see it will drop behind D3 that western tool within days ...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

Ooooh look! Still the top selling MMORPG on Amazon 3 months after its release... and beating games likes "Assassin's Creed III" which got released more recently. And mind you, that's only the boxed copies.

But yeah, GW2 is doomed and keeps losing players... we trust your word, mate, and XFire is definitely 100% reliable.

I'm gonna quote a post from a fellow citizen of this website's forums:

Originally posted by Icewhite

First rule around here is 'assume it's already dead, complain about it a lot, collect "me toos".'  

We never tire of this cycle.

So I'm gonna give you a "me too", if it can makes you feel happier. Yes, GW2 is doomed, and losing players. XFire can't be wrong!

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    LOL that site cleary have not played any other games this year.. what a joke..
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I dont think anyone who doesnt have a personal vandetta against GW2 would disagree there.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I havent agreed with a goty award since 2001. Journey gets my vote this year. Grats to anet though. That will definitely increase sales.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I havent agreed with a goty award since 2001. Journey gets my vote this year. Grats to anet though. That will definitely increase sales.

Last one I agreed with was "Homeworld".  That takes us out of the genre entirely, and back to '99.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72
    I am still waiting for the Wall Street Journal's list, because if anyone knows gaming its the WSJ. Seriously though, it doesn't surprise me, Although leaving Borderlands 2 off that list really exposes the flaws.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    If GW2 is the best MMORPG game of 2012, the game industry is in worst shape than I thought.

+1

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by toddze

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Also in this case i tend to agree with Bad Spock. Nothing really to add. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by elvenwolf
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by toddze

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Also in this case i tend to agree with Bad Spock. Nothing really to add. 

Who would'a thunk that Bad Spock would get all philosophical on us! Nice touch - really.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Man, I just read the IGN review for that Xenoblade Chronicles game and now I REALLY want to play it.  Wish I had a Wii :/   
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    LOL that site cleary have not played any other games this year.. what a joke..

TIME listed 10 games they picked for 2012 - if you bothered to read it

Originally posted by VendettaDFA
    I am still waiting for the Wall Street Journal's list, because if anyone knows gaming its the WSJ. Seriously though, it doesn't surprise me, Although leaving Borderlands 2 off that list really exposes the flaws.

i have no idea if WSJ reports on games - but I know Forbes does http://www.forbes.com/games/

i havent played Borderlands2 but i agree w you that I had expected to see it on the top 10

I dont think TIMEs list is invalid and i commented that TIme has been doing Top 10 videogame lists for 5+ years

I agree that sites like IGN have more merit

Almost (dec 7, 2011) exactly a year ago--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu84VmXnyzo

Reminder, lest there's any doubt about the glory of meaninglessness that is GoTY awards...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

Do we need to cover the Grammys, too?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by coretex666

I am afraid this will only motivate the producers to create more games like this.

Soon MMOs will move to consoles from PCs...

Doom :nod:

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

lest there's any doubt about the glory of meaninglessness that is GoTY awards...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

Do we need to cover the Grammys, too?

theres probably alot more than 45 sites doing GOTY but nice link

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I'm Really not suprised, GW2 has one hell of a rabid fanbase.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Sorry but to me nothing beats Mass Effect 3 this year. Completely an amazing rpg experience with great story. It is so much better than GW2 is every way. Who actually voted for this stuff ?

People.  Just people with opinions.

All awards are basically crap.  Too much politics.

I look more at the nominees than the award winners.  Usually someone/something listed in their deserves the acclaim.

Translation:  My game isn't on that list.  My game is never on the list.  When my games are on the list the awards are the coolest thing evar!

I'm just teasing you.  Don't take it seriously.

Nah, I really stopped caring with awards some time ago.  There is no doubt that GW2 was the best video game release of 2012 that I played. 

Ever since Titanic won Best Picture and Halle Berry earned Best Actress the awards just haven't meant the same thing they used to.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am afraid this will only motivate the producers to create more games like this.

Soon MMOs will move to consoles from PCs...

Doom :nod:

I'm sure he would prefer 8 more years of WoW clones image

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Halo 4 must be a lot better than its boring corridory consolified predecessors if its the top fps of 2012 when there was farcry 3, planetside 2, max payne 3 and csgo.

Also gw2, should be somewhere in top 10, but not number 1, would give that to dishonoured personaly.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Interesting to note
    RPS have gw2 in their advent calendar as one of their other top 23 games of 2012, but not as the the top one.

rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/07/magnificent-and-important-advent-calendar-day-seven/#more-134122