Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Most hated MMORPG

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by superniceguy

SWTOR only because it is more of a single player game with co-op / multiplayer options TRYING to be a MMORPG

If it was on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well or just regarded as a single player game with multiplayer without a monthly fee and brought DLC frequently then I would not hate it, as a game in its own way it is OK, but it is completely pathetic as a MMORPG

Yet you feel compelled to constantly post in their forums.  Why do you think that is?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by FromHell
    GW2 because of lack of trinity and repetitive "dynamic events", also because of the pre-release hype, dev hyperboles and the fans

I like GW2 BECAUSE it DOESN'T have  the Trinity - no more waiting for a healer, etc. What an awlful idea the trinity really was.

yeah yeah yeah no waiting, no hazzle, instant gratification, casual, more casual, no effort, no point in socializing, no strategy. Recipe to make a killer hit MMO. Bleh

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Everquest (one) is the best one on the list imo,

WoW is the most hated one for me, It just ruined the genre imo. (i feel sry for all those guys out there who started playing with WoW because they missed the golden age of MMORPGs)

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

WoW. Hands down, WoW.

I hate what WoW has done to the genre and what it has done to developer/publisher/investor expectations for what constitutes a 'successfull' game.

Surely if you turn a profit then you are successfull? You don't need millions of subs for that to happen.

Don't get me wrong though, WoW has also greatly improved the genre in a number of areas. I just feel that the harm it has done outweighs those improvements.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Definitely WOW even though I barely played it. But it's influence on the genre has been terrible. We have Ascended gear in GW 2 thanks to WOW for instance. Seemingly every developer thinks that copying WOW's gear treadmill and raid-to-you-die philosophy is the way to riches. That's why I hate it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

In general, I don't hate games but can be disappointed in them. What I hate though is the pointless and shameless copying of WoW that nearly every other mmo developer has done for the past several years. It's astonishing to think that after the first wave of WoW clones failed, that even more would continue to copy and expect success.

I will say that the superhero genre has been very disappointing in the mmospace though.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Swtor for me its just so hideously cynical

"we've got this star wars ip, if we copy world of warcraft (badly) and make it star warsy we will have 15 million subs lining our coffers every month"
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I was thinking its a toss up between WOW and SWTOR and i was right LOL..

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

how does star wars not win!!!

that game is the poster child of what an mmo should never have or be!!!!!

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    In agreement with most of the people who posted before me. It's not really WoW that I hate, although I tried and didn't care for it, it's what it's influenced in the genre. The big instancing, linear themepark games that have come out since have just been garbage and not worthy of my time at all. I don't think anyone should really put ToR down because that may be the best thing to happen to the genre in years. Think the failure to retain subs in that game will be the changing of the tide in giving us more open games and worlds again. I don't mind themeparks, but I don't like themeparks that are on rails. They need to have enough systems and incentive enough (might I say *gasp, forced!) grouping to require player interdependibility.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I think hate is too strong of a word, I'd clasify it more as contempt... and my vote goes to City of Heroes since it's really the only MMO I've ever felt that for, even if it was for a little while.

And now a little explanation. I never played CoH other than toying with the character creation and few steps into the game after it went F2P, however my contempt for it happened long before that, and was over it for a long time by then. It was mainly because of an online friend, very nice guy but he was a heavy roleplayer and took his online gaming VERY seriously. He already had a grudge against WoW because aparently when it came out his first super group in CoH disbanded when most of the members left the game for WoW... and it happened that lots of us in the IRC channel started playing WoW including someone that had worked in the comic book business long time ago and that he got to try CoH first and went to play WoW instead...

Anytime anyone even mentioned the word WoW and he was online it was his cue to go on long rants about how much it sucks, how you can't properly role play on it, how much better CoH was and so on, it really put me off that game even before ever playing it at all.

Second runner up would be Age of Conan, not much contempt but dissapointment instead for how much potential it had, and how buggy and incomplete it was when released. Didn't hold any grudge against it, though, even came back after it went F2P and played for a few months and had lots of fun on it as well.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    SWTOR: It took the WoW dumbing down and coupled that with a product so devoid of content that it sank like a stone. All to the detriment of the MMORPG universe.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Axehandle
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    This poll tells me something thus far. It's that rift is not a bad game apparently.

No, it tells you that its not the worst game. It's a clone of the worst game. Most of the MMOs on this list aren't very good so...

To be the best out of the most popular titles in the eyes of the highly critical mmo community is not a bad thing my friend.

Er, most of that list is of the most hated titles...

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       Voted Other..the Other being  ULTIMA ONLINE.   For opening the door to douchebag powerfantasys ( ie griefers and gankers).  Thankfully Im smart(ish) enough to know what games to avoid (now) and to stay far far away from them.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

SW:TOR I hated with a passion. First because SWG was such a better representation of the Star Wars universe and second because they had all that money and they wasted it on voice overs and single player content. I mean seriously, an MMO where most of the content is solo-centered. Really??

That being said, it was a pretty good single player game but why would I play a sub. fee, and now cash shop, for a single player game?

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Wish a mod would sticky this thread. I know the amount of feedback will be huge and thus far lots of constructive critiques with very little senseless bashing. This might serve as a decent guide to new members as the "games to avoid" list.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Wish a mod would sticky this thread. I know the amount of feedback will be huge and thus far lots of constructive critiques with very little senseless bashing. This might serve as a decent guide to new members as the "games to avoid" list.

The criticism in this thread is constructive? Especially on this forum. This thread is to let you bash the game you hate the most, without having to be constructive at all.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Asheron's Call 2

The criticism in this thread is constructive? Especially on this forum. This thread is to let you bash the game you hate the most, without having to be constructive at all.

Let's be fair here. Most people point out severe flaws they saw with the game and very few replies are just "I hate x game bc I'm too hardc0rz for n0obs" and most people are being civil in the discussion. Compared to the flame wars that happen in game vs game threads this is very constructive.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Let's be fair here. Most people point out severe flaws they saw with the game and very few replies are just "I hate x game bc I'm too hardc0rz for n0obs" and most people are being civil in the discussion. Compared to the flame wars that happen in game vs game threads this is very constructive.

Please reread the thread objectively. This is just a hate thread. Let's be fair about this (using your turn of phrase) if people would say, "I like X in the game because of this but I dislike Y becaue......." then talk about the relevence in the game. That is constructive.Just saying this is bad - is not constructive. Please learn debating.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Star Trek Online - a complete waste of a great franchise.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    GW2 is the worst button masher i've ever played...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    I voted for Guild Wars 2.  I think Hate is too strong of a word as several posters before me have said.  I disliked this title because it gets so much praise and all they did in my opinion was just take out alot of mmo features.  I also really dislike how much hackers get away with in this game, it really ruined the experience for me.  I also felt cheated by the world vs world concept, I was sold on a DAoC like experience and this was a terrible implementation of that system, server resets are crap and the invisible zerg is lame.  Who needs to bother knocking down keep doors when you can teleport to the lord anyways?
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Thats was a hard choice, but I went with World of Warcraft since I've hated it the longest.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Please reread the thread objectively. This is just a hate thread. Let's be fair about this (using your turn of phrase) if people would say, "I like X in the game because of this but I dislike Y becaue......." then talk about the relevence in the game. That is constructive.Just saying this is bad - is not constructive. Please learn debating.

So just so we are clear.

Main Entry:    constructive criticism
    Part of Speech:    n
    Definition:    criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions

People are posting critiques of the games and things they disliked strongly supported by reasonable arguments with some even offer advice. Sound like the definition of anything?

Before you debate me understand what I said then focus on topic and not meander off on some tangent.