Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What classes would you like to see?

ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

We know Neverwinter is based off the AD&D 4.0 edition (yuck) which greatly removes the freedom of AD&D skill based class system.  I myself am greatly hoping there is multi classing allowed at release.  Being forced to play a rigid class greatly influences my likeability of a game.

I never played 4.0 but from looking at the wiki it appears there are some hybrid style classes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_class_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#4th_edition

Hoping that Swordmage and Avenger make the cut.  I am also looking forward to see if Paragon paths make the cut as well, which would greatly open up the rigid class system to some more hybrid like gameplay.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
Waiting on: TESO
Next Flop: Planetside 2
Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Druid, Bard, Shaman and Psion for sure.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I played 4.0, a system VERY good for a MMO, very balanced (MUCH unlike the 3.5 which was chaotic, totally imba), and I'd LOVE to play my Drow Monk again. So Monk it is. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516
    I would have to say monk.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• SlechtvalkSlechtvalk Member Posts: 33

Bard or Cleric.

I am STO Lifetimer, so as i have read i will get a beta invite 100%. So if you wanna play / test and if you are gmt +/-3 just ask, i am socializer and would love not to explore this game alone.

• kaeljaerenkaeljaeren Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I would like to see some of the prestige classes from NWN and NWN2, but I know that's a foolish dream. But my fighter/weapon master/sorc/red dragon discipline was so good, it wasn't even a challenge. 
  • AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32

Finally an mmo that's lax on the neon purples and greens;)

Classes. Yeah. Ranger, bard, paladin / blackguard.  Druid - shapeshifter is what I'd be most excited for.

Prestige - Shadowdancer, arcane archer, a tinkerer style class. war priest

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Deleted User

What classes would you like to see?    

Multi- and Dualclasses ;)

The very big problem IMO with all this perfect 4.0 single class, single role balancing to totally fit it into a MMO is that the classes are now like all the ones in other MMOs if not even more so restricted. Its like nuking a chance to stand out on purpose.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Swordmage

Runepriest

Artificer

Battlemind

Avenger

... and extremely wishful thinking with the Vampire.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Just the basic old classes, the 4th edition classes suck worse than the 4th ed combat and skill system.

That is why we moved over to Pathfinder instead of 4th edition, they have improved classes and how you can customize them a lot.

So since this game is forced to use the 4th edition rules due to licensing reasons they can stick to the old classes. They work and do the job even if they might feel a bit unexiting since almost every MMO in existance have ripped them off.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    This game will be truly epic to even attempt to add all the available classes, however I truly believe dual/multi classing will be most welcomed.
    Originally posted by Elikal

I played 4.0, a system VERY good for a MMO, very balanced (MUCH unlike the 3.5 which was chaotic, totally imba), and I'd LOVE to play my Drow Monk again. So Monk it is. ^^

Really? Do me a favor and check out Pathfinders rules as well. Just humor me and tell me what you think.

3.5 was really just 3.0 with some small fixes, but all the idiotic extra books soon killed of the initial class balance 3.0 had at launch (which wasnt that impressing from the start).

Pathfinder on the other hand have great balance except the bard but playing a bard in D&D past level 7 or so have always sucked unless you play a campaign as intriguing nobles or something.

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

I dont even know what classes there are in the game at all , but maybe a Necromancer class would be pretty sweet.

I dont even know if thats even possible but I sure do miss playing a good ol' necro class. Like the good ol' days of EQ2 , and D2.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Elikal

Really? Do me a favor and check out Pathfinders rules as well. Just humor me and tell me what you think.

3.5 was really just 3.0 with some small fixes, but all the idiotic extra books soon killed of the initial class balance 3.0 had at launch (which wasnt that impressing from the start).

Pathfinder on the other hand have great balance except the bard but playing a bard in D&D past level 7 or so have always sucked unless you play a campaign as intriguing nobles or something.

Pathfinder is just 3.5 with some minor fixes as well.  3.7 i think i read it somewhere.  I think, personally, that 4th ed lends itself to MMO being the system essentially mimicks MMOs on the table top. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by apocoluster

Pathfinder is just 3.5 with some minor fixes as well.  3.7 i think i read it somewhere.  I think, personally, that 4th ed lends itself to MMO being the system essentially mimicks MMOs on the table top. 

It is far from that. Pathfinder have tons of customization and better balance than any D&D edition.

My players were rather critical the first game but all of them bought the rulebook and the advanced players book within 3 weeks and now noone wants to go back to 3.5.

As for 4th edition is the skill system pathetic even compared to AD&D and there is little difference between your character and anyone else from your class. Of course you need acess to the edvanced players guide to really access the customization which mean you need to buy 2 books, but it is actually surprisingly good.

Copying the MMO combat system to P&P and then copying it back have a rather huge potential of dumbing the game down a lot.

I played all editions myself, still prefer Pathfinder to all of them.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

I would like multi-class and hybrid.

Bards ae a very strong and fun class to play in 4e with their ability to multi-class from any class.

Originally posted by Darklotus79
    I dont even know what classes there are in the game at all , but maybe a Necromancer class would be pretty sweet.

Yes Necromancer, Shadowmancer, Vampire, Witch, Assassin etc are all a part of Shadow Source, which should be easily implementable as per the lore (with Evernight and shadowfell being part fo NW campaign in 4e). However it is considered evil power source - so the question is would they allow us to be evil things in game?

the 4th edition classes **** worse than the 4th ed combat and skill system.

Although I do agree pathfinder is good, I don't know what makes you say that. The skills have been consolidated in 4e. It actually has one skill being used for various related things. So thievery can be used to open locks, doors, solve traps and steal. Similrly dungeoneering means you have good general sense of direction and knowledge about dungeon things. They do make things simpler and consolidated while bringing more things to the table.

Combat in 4e is quite complex and you do need to consider direction, location and angle of attacks to properly play it. I find it quite complex and entertaining.

As for classes, if you consider everything wotc has thrown into 4e now, they are quite sufficent and just their multitude of paragon paths covers every possible build available (though you can hybrid two classes, or multi-class too).

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273

any Prestige class would make my day

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc

All of em are great bu the Blackguard stands way above all

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery1/44274_C1_blackguard.jpg

Originally posted by Montaronx

...All of em are great bu the Blackguard stands way above all ...

Blackguard is a complete seperate class in 4e. But there are more kind of evil or fallen paladin too. E.g. Gray Guards are ambigous - though they do good, they do it in very ... ummm.... professional(?) way.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Most likely the core classes from previous editions will be available first (ie paladin, druid, barbarian...etc) after the basic ones that will be available at launch.  My hope is that Avenger will be made available in the near future.  I would never stop playing if I could RP my moon elf avenger in a MMO based on Forgotten Realms.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Any Melee frontline fighter with 2-handed weapons and some magic to fill in.  I love me some offensive Melee/Magic hybrids.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Any Melee frontline fighter with 2-handed weapons and some magic to fill in.  I love me some offensive Melee/Magic hybrids.

This is their 2H fighter

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=794161

See the girl in pic - she is raising a greatsword.

• ZebularZebular Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by gillrmn
    Originally posted by azzamasin

This is their 2H fighter

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=794161

See the girl in pic - she is raising a greatsword.

Gotta love those cryptic teasers, hah!

[ PWE Community Moderator (Official Forums) | Foundry: The Dweomerkeepers | My Twitter | @zebular ]