Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tangential: But EA can lose IP rights.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-06-total-war-dev-announces-multi-game-warhammer-deal

EA has lost the rights to Game Workshop's Wathammer Fantasy license to SEGA / Creative Assembly. (Total War franchise)

The future of Warhammer Onlne: Reckoning and Warhammer: Wrath of Heroes is unknown.

THQ/Relic retain the rights to the Warhammer 40k IP.

Just food for thought.

Comments

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Just to make things more confusing, EA"s Warhammer titles are part of Bioware in the form of Bioware/Mythic.

EA merged Mythic into Bioware, which brought the Warhammer title (and later MOBA) with them.  BUT...

Recently EA decided to seperate Mythic back out from Bioware, but many of the details have yet to be sorted out.

You can find the Warhammer forums on the Bioware Social Network, but the game now relisted as a Mythic game on the new Mythic Entertainment website.

As many of you know, both Jeff Hickman and Gabe Amatangelo came from Mythic.

It was also rumored that as SWTOR approached launch date, Bioware poached most of Mythic to attempt to bolster SWTOR's PVP play. (Also rumored that the DRagon Age 3 team was poached to assist development of patches 1.1-1.6 and beyond before being sent back to worj on DA3).

I'm a freaking font of trivial knowledge.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    The more IP's pulled from EAMythicWare, the less new IP's are butchered hopefully.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I don't care about the licence, but Warhammer: Total War sounds delicious.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gabe amangetello came from ea actually, they moved him from ea to mythic during the take over.

Paul barnet is another post ea person.

I don't count either as "real mythic"

Hickman was at mythic pre ea - AS A COMMUNITY MANAGER. He must have been really good at climbing the greasy corporate pole though as ea put him in charge of war.
  • OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Im glad thq/relic keeps theyr license, i love their version of warhammer 40k. Its a game i go back to now and then on a regular basis. Hope they make a new one soon.

Ea for me is not a loss that they lost theyr license, war wasnt to bad in what it tried to achive but it was to shallow mmorpg to be worthy of a sub. If it was b2p with cash shop i would probably stil play it on a regular basis.

I might be alone here but i demand alot more from sub games then i do from other games, it needs to entertain me for an insane amount of hour to be worth the sub.

Im a fan of total war games and it will be intersting to see what creative does with the ip, its a little out there from their other  games but i enjoy all of em so ill probably buy this when its ready.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    I don't care about the licence, but Warhammer: Total War sounds delicious.

Yeah that sounds awesome indeed.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Shouldn't this be in the WAR forums instead?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Various possibilities:

It seems to be a multi-platform deal - not necessarily an exclusive deal. Another write up here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182995/Total_Wars_Creative_Assembly_gets_the_Warhammer_license.php

However it could also mean that EA have decided NOT to extend the IP, or didn't want to pay what GW asked or they simply weren't given the option. I am assuming that EA has at least 5 years - launched in 2008 and still running. 5 years would be to c. Sept '13. Beyond 5 years I suspect a new deal would have been needed.

And given that it will take CA time to develop a title .... maybe it is exclusive and WAR's time is limited. If so I would expect an announcement by March as was done by SOE with SWG. Maybe. As mentioned though multi-platform doesn't necessarily mean exclusive - have to see how things play out / if anything else is said.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also the deal was signed with mythic not ea.and the people who signed the deal are no longer at ea or mythic.
  • MmocountMmocount Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Who said anything about Mythic/EA?

They have MMORPG license.
    Creative Assembly has Strategy license.

2 whole different things(and yes, I am sure they are, because laws/deals/jurisdiction is written in such obnoxiously meticulous ways).

Not that they deserve license(EA), but still...

The newsarticle I just read seems to state this is exactly the license EA had, and that now just two companies have Licenses for Warhammer. THQ and Creative Assembly. I guess we'll see.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I accidentally posted here instead of the thead I meant to...
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by grimal
    Shouldn't this be in the WAR forums instead?

Maybe you should be a moderator.

This thread has been banished to the WAR subforum.

Congrats.

• MmocountMmocount Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Gorwe

So, there can be only one Company per franchise? That seems...stiff I guess.

Also, it could be misinterpretation on the newsletter side.

Yeah, it wouldn't be the first time I see false information in a news article so I'm certainly not taking it as absolute truth just from that.