Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you suggest TSW for a regular group of friends?

I have the luck of having a group of IRL friends (including my wife and my brother) with which I have been regularly playing MMORPG since 2002. 

We form a stable 5 man group, and we only play those characters when we are togheter as we level at the same pace.

That is why we are very interested in the group content every game we play has to offer.

I was considering moving to TSW with them, since I really like the setting and, honestly, I also like Funcom games (although they are far from perfect, I think they are one of the most innovative and passionate developers in the market).

Unfortunately, the current trend with MMORPG seems to focus on solo content, where group activities are only relegated to very occasional or endgame raids/dungeons/events/whatevertheycallit

TL;DR

So I ask to someone who actually plays or played the game , would you suggest TSW for a regular group?

I am not asking if ALL game content is group-oriented, but instead if you think there is enough group content to be enjoyed by a stable group.

Thanks!

Hyrim

Comments

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Hyrim

I have the luck of having a group of IRL friends (including my wife and my brother) with which I have been regularly playing MMORPG since 2002. 

We form a stable 5 man group, and we only play those characters when we are togheter as we level at the same pace.

That is why we are very interested in the group content every game we play has to offer.

I was considering moving to TSW with them, since I really like the setting and, honestly, I also like Funcom games (although they are far from perfect, I think they are one of the most innovative and passionate developers in the market).

Unfortunately, the current trend with MMORPG seems to focus on solo content, where group activities are only relegated to very occasional or endgame raids/dungeons/events/whatevertheycallit

TL;DR

So I ask to someone who actually plays or played the game , would you suggest TSW for a regular group?

I am not asking if ALL game content is group-oriented, but instead if you think there is enough group content to be enjoyed by a stable group.

Thanks!

Hyrim

Most definitely  the game is a lot of fun and is very group friendly. What makes it really fun as well is the fact that you can solve the puzzles together as 5 heads are better than 1, greatly increasing the experience.

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

Agreed with the above.

Bear in mind, however, that there are some solo, instanced missions - primarily storyline missions - that you won't be able to do as a group. There tend to be more of these earlier on in the game than later and they are a minority, but some players have voiced their concerns that they interrupt the flow of group play. I never felt it myself (and the group I played with through The Savage Coast had a blast doing the haunted fair missions, one of which ends with a particularly challenging solo mission - the cursing on Ventrilo was hilarious).

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

+1 to sr7olsniper, TSW is quite solo friendly but in group it's even more fun, especially the investigations. Discussing clues over ts / vent is not something you can get in other mmo's :)

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Yes, it is one of the few that can keep groups entertained for a long time.

As Mulli said there are solo instances, but if you do them while communicating with your friends they too are more fun. Some (yellow) are straight out challenge/obstacles instances. Some story (blue) missions will have you enter a solo phase but these parts usually invovle puzzles and challenges to test your build and investigative abilities.

If you are using teamspeak, cabal chat or any other communication then doing these together at the same time, but each alone, is still very enjoyable. Just remember those solo bits arent really solo as long as you still talk with your mates.

• HyrimHyrim Member Posts: 22

Well thanks for the answers!

I admit that is refreshing to hear, as we already played most MMORPG, the new ones usually tend to scream solo play all the way until endgame, which by the way we regularly avoid as we are not fans of gear grinding..

I guess I will go even further and I'll ask you if there is a suggested composition in a group, like which roles are necessary to beat the most challenging content, in your opinion of course! 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I´d absolutely recommend it for playing with RL friends, I´m doing this , we have a skype sessions running and playing in groups of 3-4.

Really fun for group play and we can go together into the dungeon missions too without LFG

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    +1, TSW is a great fun game if your playing with a group of friends. This is how i played it and while we finished the game completely in 2 months, it was probably the best 2 months of mmo gaming i have had since DAoC.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

Well thanks for the answers!

I admit that is refreshing to hear, as we already played most MMORPG, the new ones usually tend to scream solo play all the way until endgame, which by the way we regularly avoid as we are not fans of gear grinding..

I guess I will go even further and I'll ask you if there is a suggested composition in a group, like which roles are necessary to beat the most challenging content, in your opinion of course! 

The game favours all kinds of builds ("decks") remember? In a group, you could probably easily roll with a survival build such as a heal-tank and the rest DPS. Dungeons still favour the trinity, but even then you can mix it up a little.

One fantastic element you'll be able to do when you reach QL10 is signet farming and the Lair missions. Tough content, solo-friendly with the right build but much easier as a group; the nearest thing you'll get to open-world dungeon mobs. The Transylvanian signet missions should also be a breeze (well, most of them).

Really, the flexibility is in the game and the composition is up to you. You'll find that even in a group, you'll need to adapt to whatever foes you're fighting. The fun meta-game is all about building and refining your decks. Doing that in a group just makes it even more fun.

edit: as well as the Nightmare Lairs, you also have the regional bosses you can work towards summoning and fighting.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You know, I had the most fun in TSW playing in a guild 5 man group. We built our toons around each other,  for synergy in warzones. Synergy like one guy slowsa group, the other stuns, then the third lays down AoE. You'll have a blast with your crew in the Lairs too, plus the dungeons are top notch.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

SW is perfect for this sort of thing. Proper stories ('good' stories) make normal questing just as fun as the dungeons. It won't be unlimited content but there's plenty a small group can sink their teeth into. The dungeons are some of the best I've ever done.. just wish there was more of them.

Do it, figuring out the puzzles together and stuff is a lot of fun. Just be aware that the game won't last forever but you'll easily get your money's worth.

Having no levels in the traditional sense is also great for RL groups. There is no reason why you can't keep playing your main characters even when you arn't all on at the same time. As long as you don't progress to the next area and get the higher QL items you can just keep repeating missions (they are all repeatable on timers) in your groups current zone and get more AP points to unlock more skill choices. You don't increase in vertical power.. you'll just have more skill options. It takes a LONG time to max out your AP so it's something you'll want to be doing anyway.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HyrimHyrim Member Posts: 22

Glad to hear people so passionate about the game, it is usually a very good sign. I don't mind if the content runs out one day, I'd rather watch a good 2h movie than thousands of hours of a shallow soap opera.

And besides, if the game is good we can always come back after a year or so when they added some content and start over again.

Thanks again for your replies!

Hyrim

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

I agree with the others posting here - TSW is just about ideal for a 'ready to go' group like the OP's.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Glad to hear people so passionate about the game, it is usually a very good sign. I don't mind if the content runs out one day, I'd rather watch a good 2h movie than thousands of hours of a shallow soap opera.

And besides, if the game is good we can always come back after a year or so when they added some content and start over again.

Thanks again for your replies!

Hyrim

They add new content monthly (ish) but it's hit and miss as to how much and what type.

Have fun, I certainly did :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)