Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darth Debate: SWG Vs. SWTOR

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Disney, are you reading this thread? I hope so.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Krayus
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    the rudest and most unhelpful customer service  of any company in the history of MMO's

Yea, unlike TOR's Customer service where you wait for 5 hours and be told they can't help you when the website stated they could. Yea, that's friggin' awesome Customer Service.

I never had problems with SWG's customer service, except Virrago is a dick.

would not know anything about Tors CS as I never had any issues with it. SOE on the other hand lost a 4 year Pass holder over a 20 dollar overcharge ( not related to  SWG). The CS guys even admittted they had over charged me but said they wes powerless to refund it. becasue I waited too long to bring it to thier attention LOL. I noticed it on a fFriday night after their phone CS was closed and when I called Monday afternoon they claimed it was too late even though I had emailed them as soon as I noticed it. SOE sucks period, that is why all their games end up failing. EQII, SWG, Vanguard could have al beeen grreat games if  SOE's management were not idiots

seems as if most of the fans of SWG here were more in love with the concepts of SWG than they were the execution. My opion is If ToR had SWG's concepts or if SWG had launched with TORs polish and management team I would be playing one or the other right now instead of playing Halo and Assasins Creed III on my XBox. Got a lifetime sub to LoTRO, 3 lvl 50's on ToR, and GWII and I can't force myself to play any of them for free even. If someone ( other than SOE) were to relaunch SWG minus the bugs pre CU I would pay and play in a heartbeat even with the 2003 graphics

I miss DAoC

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Even the NGE is better than SWTOR

I also think that if SWG started off in NGE state and changed to pre-CU then pre-CU would then get as much hate for it. I played the flightless bird after SWG closed, and after years of getting used to the NGE, I could not get into the pre-CU version. I do not know how I played it at all.

pre-CU is certainly remembered through rose tinted glasses.  What people are hating is the change, not the NGE itself (except the 2005-2006 version), but the many changes did bog down the game and create unfixable lag.

The NGE in 2005 was bad though, but SWG in 2011 was just as good, if not better, than pre-CU. SOE kept making the game better from 2005-2011, as the devs communicated with playerbase, unlike before hand when they just did what they wanted under LA reign.

Pardon me, but anyone whos spends $10k-$30k of real cash on an MMO, (which you have admitted in posts previously) might not have the best judgement about it.

SWG was 5X the game before the NGE than any time after. No 250 point skill system, 20+ professions lost, loot becoming king/the heavy reduction in the importance of the crafting game, and on and on. Plus the introduction of the TCG post NGE was yet another kick in the groin.

Bottom line is that 300k people were playing SWG before the NGE and less than 30k were playing after.

Nothing more needs to be said.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Even the NGE is better than SWTOR

I also think that if SWG started off in NGE state and changed to pre-CU then pre-CU would then get as much hate for it. I played the flightless bird after SWG closed, and after years of getting used to the NGE, I could not get into the pre-CU version. I do not know how I played it at all.

pre-CU is certainly remembered through rose tinted glasses.  What people are hating is the change, not the NGE itself (except the 2005-2006 version), but the many changes did bog down the game and create unfixable lag.

The NGE in 2005 was bad though, but SWG in 2011 was just as good, if not better, than pre-CU. SOE kept making the game better from 2005-2011, as the devs communicated with playerbase, unlike before hand when they just did what they wanted under LA reign.

Pardon me, but anyone whos spends $10k-$30k of real cash on an MMO, (which you have admitted in posts previously) might not have the best judgement about it.

SWG was 5X the game before the pre-cu than any time after. No 250 point skill system, 20+ professions lost, loot becoming king/the heavy reduction in the importance of the crafting game, and on and on. Plus the introduction of the TCG post NGE was yet another kick in the groin.

Bottom line is that 300k people were playing SWG before the NGE and less than 30k were playing after.

Nothing more needs to be said.

I agree, and it took me years to just accept the NGE as a new game, but once I did, I got into it just as much as I did pre-cu, maybe even more so. The 10,000 hours I did in Xfire was all from Oct 2005 which is mostly the NGE, but I did play the game way more before NGE and more before CU. It took tonnes of effort to get past the NGE change which I can fully understand 270k people having no desire to do it.

It was still just as good as pre-cu when the game shut down, but in its own right.  If the NGE did not happen, and they just added all the stuff NGE had at the end, without removing 32 professiona and the 250 skill point system, then it would have been a lot lot better again, but SWG without all those years of added extra content just makes it really lame, just like when they took away professions with the NGE. Going from pre-CU to NGE brought loss, and going from NGE as at 2011 to pre-CU will also be loss.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Crucial
    SWG because SWG was a virtual world.

So is Second Life.

Second Life is exactly what the title of the game implies....

SWG was a virtual world but it was still a Game..

Stupid Life really, oh crap sorry i mean Second Life, i would rather eat, sleep, drink, piss, and go without sex oh and play SWTOR or the most boring game out there instead of that piece of $h!t waste of computer space.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Konfess
    SWG was a theme park. The ride was called, “Lets all unlock Jedi.” A few of you may have hung around Anchorhead and did PvP. They player base I saw vanish back in Nov ‘04 didn’t. They chose a newer theme park to ride on.

I was an Elder Jedi, I played for 3+ years, and I had 5 subs. The economy was inflated beyond reason. They was only one viable armour set composite. Entertainer missions didn’t work during the heydays of SWG, so buffing in cantinas was their only career.

SWG was a great game, but TOR was the better MMO.

excuse me but are you on fu$%ing drugs or drunk or something????  TOR the better MMO to SWG LOL.  this is hilarious.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I can certainly appreciate the fact that you liked SWG, but to spend a month working on my house would cause me to commit suicide

Houses in SWG has a more diverse function than any others games. In most cases people spend a lot of times decorating it because it is actually their shop and storefront - it is where people sell their wares.

A lot of the decoration actually displays to customer what they sell and what are their price ranges as soon as customers walk in.

The effort and passion some players took in decorating their houses were nothing less than amazing.

Anyone who's played SWG know what I'm talking about.

Players invented and made their own furnishing etc. There were only so many generic furniture items but the creativity of the players really shone through.

Damn I miss SWG.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I got a feeling that people who voted for swtor over swg here mostly voted based on either the quest element or the melee/lightsaber combat element; because, I must admit, the lightsaber combat and quest element in swtor is just superior to swg in every way.

However though even considering the age of swg, it still did the range combat side much better than swtor. So I got a feeling somehow that people who like playing jedi and quests tend to go for swtor, and people who like freedom, bounty hunters and smugglers, space, crafting, realistic economy and community side will go for swg.

The lightsaber animations of SWG pre cu beats the crap out of SWTOR any day tbh.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

As an aside: I'm pretty sure that there are more people on this board who claim SWG was the greatest thing since sliced bread, than there were people subbed to SWG when the closure was announced.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Even after the NGE there was still  a lot of content and fun in SWG, Like many here we spent years playing that game actually more than playing some of us lived that game.

It was not just the crafting or social clothing, it was more than the vistas without zone lines, it was a true Massively multiplayer ROLEPLAY game.

NGE actually improved the comunity, nolonger were people grinding through entertainer class to become force sensitive, people in the cantina dancing were entertainers and wanted to be there.

One day I just though Hey why don't I live on a ship for a year and I did, that mining vessel was amazing many many adventures.

SWTOR should have been kotor 3 with co-op multiplay addon not an mmo.

As many of us found out later Sony had its hands tied by lucas who wanted it to be more like wow.

SWG was special and sadly a lot of us did not realise how good or how special till it was too late.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

As an aside: I'm pretty sure that there are more people on this board who claim SWG was the greatest thing since sliced bread, than there were people subbed to SWG when the closure was announced.

For most people SWG died November 2005, thats why.

Originally posted by Sandbox

Yup.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sandbox

Same here. Then was brought back to life about 2007-2008

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I wanted to like SWTOR, but ultimately SWG was a much deeper and complex experience for me.

SWTOR went by in what literally felt like a gamer minute.. In just a couple of short months I had leveled two characters to max and done everything I cared to do. There was no community and no economy. The PVP was shortsighted and the Ilum was a total joke. The overall game world felt linear, small and dead. 

I think back to SWG now and I miss so many features that it offered. The deep, complex and enjoyable crafting system. Space for community driven events, a place for me to post a lengthy bio on my character. A huge list of classes that had little to do with combat... Doctors, dancers, musicians, armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, bioengineers.. So forth and so on.

I miss being a part of the world my character was living in. I miss having a home and a space ship that I could decorate and run a shop from. I miss space combat that was not on rails. I miss visiting the places from the movies. 

The list just goes on and on... -sigh- 

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

There is, unfortunately, no question here. I -lived- SWG fr 4 years or so. I ran the TOR themepark for about 3 months.

Unfortunately, I don't think those 'good old days' will ever come back.

I can hear the login screen music from SWG in my head, right now, and I feel a little misty-eyed.. :(

That day when some fancy, high-and-mighty game developer/producer scoffed and claimed he didn't understand what was so great about camping in a MMO, was the day I knew the MMO experience was doomed...

SWG had it's problems, but I miss the depth, the creativity, the inclusion, the immersion, the CHOICE, the COMMUNITY; a community you had to build.

*sigh* I feel kinda sad now..

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    *Dreams of SWG 2*
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

The games are so damned different, it's apples and oranges.  And now that I've found a guild I enjoy in SWTOR, that actually has people in it, and I think is going to be stable, and fits with my odd playstyle -- yes I miss SWG and SWG was magic and SOE can die in a fire and I will never give them another penny of my gaming money (or, it's hard to imagine that I will...) -- but I am enjoying being with a company of gamers in the extended universe again.

Why the hell not?  Bioware did a stunning job on the storylines.  There's much to enjoy here for a couple years as a RP oriented community-oriented player.  And like SWG I think that later devs and gamers will look back and go "Oh, that's what the game was about...  That's what we can learn..."

*shrug*

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk
    *Dreams of SWG 2*

some dreams are too good to come true

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       Voted TOR..because it exists and I can play it.  I give it bonus points for acutally telling me a Star Wars-ey type story.  Im glad i can continue to finish out my stories to see how they end

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Sandbox games are more dependent on thriving populations than their themepark counterparts.  During the final times in SWG, it didn't matter what kind of story you could create for yourself....if there was no one else to play with, it was the worst kind of boredom.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by apocoluster
       Voted TOR..because it exists and I can play it.  I give it bonus points for acutally telling me a Star Wars-ey type story.  Im glad i can continue to finish out my stories to see how they end

One of the biggest complaints of SWG when it was around...was that it never felt Star Warsy.  I remember beta 3 and others and I were just saying, "this is basically EQ in space."

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

heh, I never thought it would take games this long to make a sandbox, after all we had SWG, why not improve and release a sandbox? Nope, all we got were more theme parks like Tera, Rift, Aion, Age of Conan, and all... We have so many mmos on the market, and yet a distinct lack in sandboxes like SWG.... Not everyone likes Eve Online, not everyone wants a pure sandbox lacking any type of story, and I loved how SWG Had an IP , HAD a Story!! It was the best sandbox that I have ever played, since I need a game with an actual storyline in it... So, lets bring on more hybrid sandbox games with storylines and real Ips that matter please!! 

I'd also love to see Star Trek 2 : Sandbox Edition with a huge universe like Eve Online, only with their IP and full story... 

Here's hoping that EQNext can be a success and maybe somehow we can get a SWG2 wrung out of sony... With Blizzard's Titan we also have hope for a more sandboxy WoW... 

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Did someone seriously made a thread and compared the CoOp game SW:TOR with the MMORPG with a huge living world and sandbox elements that SWG is ?

lol

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I asked my dad, who happens to be a major executive within one of the most prominent steel industries in the US, about what he would do if he had won the Mega Million drawing.

He told me...  quit his job, purchase the SWG license, and remake the classic game with modern graphics.

Go dad!

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by fat_taddler
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Star Wars Galaxies was better.

Hmm. Let me try to choose my words carefully. SWG seemed like it was made for adults, whereas SWTOR felt like it was made for 6th-9th graders.

SWG was deeper in almost every aspect, e.g., exploration, crafting, economy, world size, social environment. SWTOR, however, was deeper via story & lore.

SWTOR felt like I was watching a movie. SWG felt like I was making a movie.

Exactly!!

correction:

SWToR felt like I was another The Phantom Mencace.

SWG felt like I was making another Empire Strikes Back.

(note: I feel they both have big problems, but I thought this analogy was still somehow appropriate)