Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Elite game on Kickstarter!

Comments

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    First video on the 19th day, imagine the boost in pledges if it had been put out 10 days ago, I fear David needs better marketing and hyping, I have no doubt in whether this will deliever, but advertising and small updates leave much to be desired.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by CobraMKIII

First gameplay video released.

Link

Looks like there is no newtonian flightmodel like the other Elite games.

Personly I never liked newtonian flightmodel  I like this model that was shown here, feels more like good old  classic ww2 dogfights :)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by 13lake
    First video on the 19th day, imagine the boost in pledges if it had been put out 10 days ago, I fear David needs better marketing and hyping, I have no doubt in whether this will deliever, but advertising and small updates leave much to be desired.

Valid points shared by many of the fans, including me. I do think Frontier have gone into this somewhat unprepared, David Braben has had to be proded and poked by pledgers to update and maintain the Kickstarter page, which isn't encouraging at all.
    Having said that, nobody ever said you have to reveal everything about your project on day 1...

Originally posted by Torgrim

Link

Personly I never liked newtonian flightmodel  I like this model that was shown here, feels more like good old  classic ww2 dogfights :)

Newtonian will be in, don't know how exactly but it's confirmed in the games FAQ. David Braben has been critical of Frontier's combat though, so it looks like he's on the wright track.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Link

Newtonian will be in, don't know how exactly but it's confirmed in the games FAQ. David Braben has been critical of Frontier's combat though, so it looks like he's on the wright track.

Liked the dogfight in that video, with newtonian it wont be dogfight per say

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Newtonian with Fly-By-Wire, imagine F-35 style probably similar to Star Citizens, no direct control over all thrusters.
  • Yeah I hope they go for fly-by-wire controls in Elite as well. Coupled with newtonian physics that should make for intuitive controls with some interesting emergent situations being possible.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
          I was first excited about Elite making a comeback.. but not now..  In watching the youtube video there was an area that he talked about how a 3rd person can jump into an existing fight and win..  That is the issue I have with EVE for the limited 14 day trial I had.. I hate playing open world non-concentual PvP..  I enjoyed Elte original in the 80's because it was primary PvE against the AI..  It looks like this new Elite wants to make it all "free for all"... Sorry, I don't find it the least enjoyable to work your ass off in defeating a AI npc, only to have another player come in and dust my clock, since I'm down to 30% armor and take everything..... FORK that..
  • There's a new video out where he says you can play it single player. So if you want to avoid getting ganked and play it like the old games that would be a good option.
    Shhsh don't tell him that, now you've confused him, he doesn't know what to write anymore, cause there isn't anything to complain about anymore :P
  • Funding jumped a good bit since that developer diary.
  • OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Backers 12,730
    £586,119 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    39 days to go

Lots of pledges the last 24h

Backers 12,967
    £594,325 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    38 days to go

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'm not pledging to this game as I've pledged for another, however this kickstarter idea is all well and good, but I've not seen or played a game which has been made yet from this business model . Until which time that there is some tangible evidence that these people are selling a completed finish product, then I'm afraid I'll not be spending more money for a game which is not worth any more than any other box set sold to me after those developers paid up front to provide it to me.

This business model should be given a chance of course, but the gaming public have to be careful or we could all end up paying $500 or £300 to play a game only worth around £30 or $45.

Bandit

Asbo

Originally posted by NightBandit

I'm not pledging to this game as I've pledged for another, however this kickstarter idea is all well and good, but I've not seen or played a game which has been made yet from this business model . Until which time that there is some tangible evidence that these people are selling a completed finish product, then I'm afraid I'll not be spending more money for a game which is not worth any more than any other box set sold to me after those developers paid up front to provide it to me.

This business model should be given a chance of course, but the gaming public have to be careful or we could all end up paying $500 or £300 to play a game only worth around £30 or $45.

Bandit

Frontier Developments have a good reputation for me. Being a long time Elite fan I had no problem offering money so that they can make a game that I would like to play, and I am prepared to loose that money for it (they don't actually take any money unless they meet or exceed their target). It's not like I got all hyped up and threw them hundreds of £'s that I don't have :P

Backers 13,278
    £610,955 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    36 days to go

50% today

Backers 13,426
    £620,739 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    35 days to go

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

elite. my first love.

and THAT, kids, is what people mean when they talk about sandbox games :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Dev Diary 2 released.

This diary features David talking about how worlds & governments will change over time, and how that will affect the neighbouring systems, and player choices.

Elite: Dangerous on Kickstarter

Here's a look at the previous games in the series for those of you unfamiliar with them.

Elite

Frontier: Elite 2

Frontier: First Encounters

If you're interested in playing any of these old games, you can get them here, or here.

Backers 14,093
    £653,331 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    31 days to go

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Thane

elite. my first love.

Couldnt agree more.

Elite is still listed as no1 best game of all times for me.

I am inclined to believe Star Citizen will be all better. Simply I think C.R produced much more modern versions of Elite and took it in the right direction. While Braben stagnated it, and basically didnt produce much at all.

But who is to say that two great Elite(like) games can not exist head to head :)

Though The big question on everyones mind is : will this be a mmo , or simply smale scale co op multiplayer game.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Thane

elite. my first love.

Couldnt agree more.

Elite is still listed as no1 best game of all times for me.

I am inclined to believe Star Citizen will be all better. Simply I think C.R produced much more modern versions of Elite and took it in the right direction. While Braben stagnated it, and basically didnt produce much at all.

But who is to say that two great Elite(like) games can not exist head to head :)

Though The big question on everyones mind is : will this be a mmo , or simply smale scale co op multiplayer game.

My impressions exactly. Be interested to see what Mr. (Sir?) Braben can do with procedural generation.

Not many 20£ pledge-slots left now, so make it now to get a cheap and great game in 2014!

Backers 14,249
    £658,405 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    30 days to go

Mini jonty Friday today kl 13.00 CET /12.00 GMT, everyone pledges an extra 1£.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2928

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

damn this is going too slow for my taste, DB really could need some more advertising.

guess I'll upgrade my pledge one more time.

I want this game so badly!!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !