Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retail or online, do you care?

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The costs to sell videogames is horrendous, and any retail merchant is crazy to support videogame sales with the current distribution policy. The retailer is being forced out of the market. It is going to end up that you don't go to the store to buy your videogames, you only ever purchase it online.  This isn't much of a problem for some, but it is a problem for others. Especially with the Christmas season upon us, grandma won't be buying that videogame for Johnny, if she has to find out how to purchase it online first.

I'm curious as to what people think about not having the option to buy a videogame in a retail store.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I prefer having a hard copy of it, but have bought digital versions of software before. I feel a bit more comfortable with a service like Steam where if something were to happen to my hard drive, I know I'll be able to get the application again and redownload the game. I do like having the disc and case though because there's something tangible to show for my money as well. Plus if I get spending too much, I can look at my shelf, maybe feel a little remorse, and cut back my spending a bit.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

your idea about old people not being able to figure out a computer is pretty prejudice.  buying things online isn't really new or all that difficult.

i voted - like to have the option. 

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I like to buy from STEAM  and  Amazon; depending on the game. If its a game I am super serious about I usually buy the boxed collectors off of Amazon. If not then STEAM for the digital DL. If neither of them have it, who ever is cheapest. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I don't care personally. Steam, Origin, Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, Getgamesgo, Impulesdriven (Gamestop App now), or brick and mortar store. I'll just buy from whatever is cheaper normally. 

Also, as far as PC gaming goes (from what I've seen anyways), few brick and mortar stores sell PC games anymore. Gamestop went digital (they bought out imuplse driven) and their PC section is a very tiny shelf with a few major titles (Blizzard games mostly), and the same goes for Walmart.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'd prefer to have a physical copy, although I have bought stuff digitally before.

It's so much easier to reinstall a game (for whatever reason) if you have the disk(s), and then run a patch to do the rest.  It can easiely turn a 4 hour download into something that only takes 20 minutes to install from disc(s) and 40 minutes to patch (as with an MMO).  Less if the game is small, and much less time required if the game a single player with no patching required.

Collecting game boxes can be a hobby as well.  Pulling them out many years later and reading the box / inside flap / instruction manual can be stroll down memory lane..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by muffins89

your idea about old people not being able to figure out a computer is pretty prejudice.  buying things online isn't really new or all that difficult.

your assumption that me referring to granny as being old is kind of prejudice, and probably more insulting to granny than me saying she might not want to buy things online. You can feasibly be a grandma in your thirties. You can be nervous about using your credit card online at any age.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    No one in my family would want games as gifts. And I'd like to buy my own games. Digital download preferably.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I voted to prefer having options. But really, I don't pay much attention to it unless something goes wrong and I have to reinstall. Then, having disks is a pretty huge time saver. Otherwise, I could go either way.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by eyelolled

your assumption that me referring to granny as being old is kind of prejudice, and probably more insulting to granny than me saying she might not want to buy things online. You can feasibly be a grandma in your thirties. You can be nervous about using your credit card online at any age.

whatever man - you think old people don't know how to work a computer.  no need trying to explain yourself.  i get it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    No one in my family would want games as gifts. And I'd like to buy my own games. Digital download preferably.

Or we prefer to give ear-marked money. My teenage son is more than capable to do his own online purchase if there is money in his paypal acct.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Personally I greatly prefer to buy online, and haven't bought a physical box for quite a few years now.

But it's a good point that this move hurts gift-giving. Leaving aside the derailment about granny and the computer, it's not very festive to gift something on Steam rather than putting a gift under the tree.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'd prefer to have a physical copy, although I have bought stuff digitally before.

It's so much easier to reinstall a game (for whatever reason) if you have the disk(s), and then run a patch to do the rest.  It can easiely turn a 4 hour download into something that only takes 20 minutes to install from disc(s) and 40 minutes to patch (as with an MMO).  Less if the game is small, and much less time required if the game a single player with no patching required.

Collecting game boxes can be a hobby as well.  Pulling them out many years later and reading the box / inside flap / instruction manual can be stroll down memory lane..

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    it's good to have it as an option; if it's an Elder Scrolls game, it must be hard copy though
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

whatever man - you think old people don't know how to work a computer.  no need trying to explain yourself.  i get it.

This has nothing to do about old people who cant use computer but the fact that older generations dont like putting there cc number online or just dont trust the services and this is a fact. There is no prejudice there..

My mom 58 years old and she is a secretary so she use pc all day but dont try to make her purchase something online, she wont do it.

I think you are the one who misjudge the OP here.

To the Op i vote i like to have the options but i do not care much.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I used to love to buy in retail due to I got the box and good ol fat manual inside the box.

Now days, why bother you get a manual the size of a tea leaf that says nothing so yes I buy online.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Silok

This has nothing to do about old people who cant use computer but the fact that older generations dont like putting there cc number online or just dont trust the services and this is a fact. There is no prejudice there..

My mom 58 years old and she is a secretary so she use pc all day but dont try to make her purchase something online, she wont do it.

I think you are the one who misjudge the OP here.

To the Op i vote i like to have the options but i do not care much.

My mom has a computer but refuses to get the internet, and my dad flat out refuses to deal with one at all (I have got him to text on his phone a couple times though)  I'll have to let them know that they aren't living up to their potential according to muffins.  lol

Seriously though, you're right Silok, it has nothing to do with old people not being able to use a computer,  but rather that they are more careful with how they handle some things.   I for one, think they are smarter for it.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I voted I like to have it as an option.

I actually prefer 100% online myself.  However, when I was younger playing EQ, I always preferred retail as I did not have a debit/credit card or paypal to buy the expansions.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    I only buy from brick-and-mortar stores if there is a sale or a clearance game I want. Otherwise, it's Amazon all the way for me.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• I'm mostly a PC gamer, and I was a little hesitant at first to try the online distribution stuff (because I'm a total technophobe). Now that I have, I've never looked back. I can't even tell you the last time I walked into a physical store to buy a game. No lines, no waiting, no out of stock games. If there were any small businesses in the area, mom-and-pop type stores that sold games I'd probably spend my money there. I always like to support local business. But all I have in my town are Gamestops and Walmarts, and I don't really care that they don't get my business.
    Originally posted by Sawtooth
    I'm mostly a PC gamer, and I was a little hesitant at first to try the online distribution stuff (because I'm a total technophobe). Now that I have, I've never looked back. I can't even tell you the last time I walked into a physical store to buy a game. No lines, no waiting, no out of stock games. If there were any small businesses in the area, mom-and-pop type stores that sold games I'd probably spend my money there. I always like to support local business. But all I have in my town are Gamestops and Walmarts, and I don't really care that they don't get my business.

it's doubtful that you would find any mom-and-pop style stores that would sell games anymore. They have a chance at less than 10% markup minus shipping costs  minus whatever they lose on remaining stock once the game suddenly drops to half or less it's value.  

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    In the UK at least, game shops only sell console games, havent bought a game from one now for several years,  the only way to buy a physical copy is from an online retailer like amazon etc. although personally i prefer the digital option of Steam, although im not averse to buying a game directly via digital download from the games website. I think its inevitable that physical disks are going to be phased out anyway, its old tech and a terrible way to distribute games, its also more 'eco friendly' to go the digital route, no deforestation from packaging etc.  image
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Phry
    In the UK at least, game shops only sell console games, havent bought a game from one now for several years,  the only way to buy a physical copy is from an online retailer like amazon etc. although personally i prefer the digital option of Steam, although im not averse to buying a game directly via digital download from the games website. I think its inevitable that physical disks are going to be phased out anyway, its old tech and a terrible way to distribute games, its also more 'eco friendly' to go the digital route, no deforestation from packaging etc.  image

Gamestation still sell PC games, albeit a much smaller section than it used to be.

I hardly ever buy a physical copy anymore, broadband speed and storage being cheap really doesn't give me much reason to.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Last pc game i bought retail was dungeons last year.

I would prefer having een a lil box with the manual and those booklet thingies though... Heck I would order them online if i had extra money and had a permanent home!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    One thing I like about retail game sales is the bargain bin.  Stuff I'd have never paid full price for, marked down to $5.00 on clearance.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    If it's on Steam, I'll get it there before going retail. I'd take Steam linked games over anything but physical Collector Editions and stuff.