Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else regret their Lifetime purchase?

I do.  Never thought I'd say it.  Played a whole month and haven't touched it since.  Learned my lesson on buying lifetime accounts.  Next time ill play a month or two before deciding.

I'm curious how many others have stopped playing their lifetime.

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I don't buy lifetimes, but at least you can go back to it when they add some more content.  I'm assuming you were one of those the tore through it in a month (which wasn't too tough to do).

Cancelled my sub, saving cash for the holidays.  The game was content light but the content they did have was top notch.

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94
    Nope; and the general consensus amongst my cabal mates (many of whom also have lifetimes) is the same.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's been my experience that game companies offering a lifetime subscription are concerned about their games longevity - if a customer was only estimated to stay for a month or 2, selling them a lifetime subscription is more profitable.  Or perhaps the developing company is so bankrupt that they need a major cash infusion .. which is only good for the short term.  It comes back to a games longevity after that, when money & content releases dry up shortly thereafter.

Poor STO lifetime subscribers .. would they have made that purchase if they knew the game would go F2P? .. or if they knew the game would have longevity issues?

I'd avoid lifetime sub's for any themepark throwaway type game.  OK LoTR fans, flame away, lol.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    Don't log in that often but don't regret my lifetime sub.  It is (currently) always waiting there for me when I feel like playing.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I wish I bought the lifetime. Same with LOTRO.

This way I'd be able to dip my feet in over time and the cost would be minimal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I don't understand how anyone would even consider a lifetime without at the very least playing the game for 2-3 months...for any game, not just TSW.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Absolutely not, great game and I don't see myself losing steam anytime soon.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    I don't understand how anyone would even consider a lifetime without at the very least playing the game for 2-3 months...for any game, not just TSW.

They proably shouldn't which is why I don't have one for TSW or LOTRO.

After the fact I regeretted it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

I play the secret world and its a ok game, but regardless of game I cannot understand that we have people stupid enough to buy lifetime accounts. No developer with enough believe in them selves will offer up lifetime accounts either... just shows lack of faith in their product.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Do they not sell it anymore? why do you regret it?

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68
    It's too early to say. I regret not buying the LOTRO one, though. Still, TSW is "young" for a MMO so we'll have to see how the next year will be :)

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

i am buy lifetime after played one month,,not regret

for sure i ll play this game for long time

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I am honestly tempted to buy one. I like TSW, but in small doses, so i like to play it for a bit, resub, then quit , and so on, so probably a lifetime is the best for me, so i could just jump in and out at leasure.
  • UnojcUnojc Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I don't buy lifetimes, but at least you can go back to it when they add some more content.  I'm assuming you were one of those the tore through it in a month (which wasn't too tough to do).

Cancelled my sub, saving cash for the holidays.  The game was content light but the content they did have was top notch.

I'm not one to tear through content.  I'm actually a slow player.  I'm halfway through the last zone doing missions.  Barely touched any instance stuff.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

No.

If I have a strong interest in a game, I almost always buy a lifetime sub if it's available. I've never failed to get my money's worth out of a lifetime sub. Good value for me.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I did not buy a lifetime sub. I was actually very tempted to do so and was close to buying one.

Instead after the 1st month was up I bought a year sub. If I remember correct it came out to be $12 a month or so, plus you got 5k store points ( if I remember right ).

I think its a great game and do play it casually. After the 1st month I knew it was something I would play, but would have to play for around 2 years to even start getting value of a lifetime. I figured if after a year I would see if I was playing it enough to continue to sub, if so I might buy another year sub.

I might regret not buying a lifetime at a later date, if the game proves worthy of more than 2 years time. And to be honest I can see this going F2P or Freemium before 2 years is up. A great game that I feel should have done better, but looking at the numbers Funcom is posting and the probability of F2P model I am glad I resisted the impulse to buy lifetime.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Nope, no regrets -- except perhaps that I didn't get it in time to get a silly number of bonus store points.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Love having the lifetime. No regrets at all.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Do they not sell it anymore? why do you regret it?

The Grand Master Pack lifetime sub is stil available.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

No regrets at all.

Only wish more games would offer such a deal!

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Definitely don't regret it.  I just barely finished the story line; which was amazing.  I still have so much left and they are still providing monthly-ish updates.  I like that I can hop in and out as I want and I don't have to worry about resubscribing.  
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Siveria
    [mod edit]

What did you dislike about the game?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I regret buying the lifetime-account.

I was in open beta and everything looked rather good. And the first month playing was also a blast, given that I never played alone but allways with friends.

The point were I started regretting it was after the first month, when I finished the main-story and started running Transylvania and hardmodes day in and out.
    Up until then, the progress was rather good and I thought that I would've lots of time before me to slowly get all the skills and master the hardmodes.

Boy I couldn't have been more wrong....

After the second month I was done with 100% of the skillwheel due to the tons of AP/SP getting thrown at you in Transylvania and the hardmodes where only challenging before you got all 10.1/10.2 items. At this point the whole thing got rather boring and the challenge of the hardmodes wasn't so challenging anymore.

I eventually stayed and played until I was done with all hardmodes that got patched in with 1.2. By that time I allready had a complete set of 10.4/10.4 and was collecting bullions for my next set.

The people I played with and who still played cleared the NYC raid on their second run and after seeing the loot and the lockout-timer half of those people quit TSW after another two weeks, as there's no point to it wasting any more time to get their gear to 10.5.

To sum it up: The speed of progress until 100% skillwheel and complete set of 10.4 is waaaaay too fast, the hardmodes and the raid are too easy, and the time you would need to get a full set of 10.5 is ridiculously long compared to what you've faced up until that point.

Good game with good ideas, but Funcom didn't manage to control the speed of progression.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

love my lifetime pack.

that made it B2P and now I'm one of the cool kids not having to pay a sub for my favourite game.

Also they keep pumping out top notch content. No regrets.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

I see no point in lifetime subs because I'd never regret paying 15$/month for a good MMO.

On the other hand, purchasing lifetime for a MMO that holds my attention for a just a few months is a complete waste of money imo.