Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 will be the big e-sport of 2013

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Except for this of course, taken last night

Some people are starting to sound like EQ players when WoW came out.

Time to face it, GW2 is doing very well.

Yeah... provide the text saying "Full' on a value that can be set to anything you want really shows the game is doing 'well'. I doubt its failing horribly but when you put pictures up showing a game is doing good showing population listed by text that can be determined anyway the game design wants, you show you have no clue at all about what your talking about.

Heck, my game right now is full. I'd list at full right now. I'm only playing a single player game but heck I consider 1 player to be full so thats what it will be!

No, I doubt GW2 is going through a mass extinction but no, posting stupid picture like that as 'proof' it isn't is just as stupid.

Interesting.. If I ever create a MMO, I'll set my server lists all to "full" by default without giving any numbers.

People seem to believe a lot when it's presented in list form ;)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by FromHell

Yeah... provide the text saying "Full' on a value that can be set to anything you want really shows the game is doing 'well'. I doubt its failing horribly but when you put pictures up showing a game is doing good showing population listed by text that can be determined anyway the game design wants, you show you have no clue at all about what your talking about.

Heck, my game right now is full. I'd list at full right now. I'm only playing a single player game but heck I consider 1 player to be full so thats what it will be!

No, I doubt GW2 is going through a mass extinction but no, posting stupid picture like that as 'proof' it isn't is just as stupid.

Interesting.. If I ever create a MMO, I'll set my server lists all to "full" by default without giving any numbers.

Full server in GW2 mean nothing, my server is full 24/7, but you can find less than 10 players in the myst and just 4 or 5 Spvp games running. 

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    gw2 doesn't have any ranks or ladders, how on earth could it become an "esport"
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

If this open, unscripted discussion with the developers is anything to go by:

GW2 is set for huge e-sport success.

They are very clear that they are not rushing it, but the announced balance changes, the pacing of changes, the way they are approaching their PVP game is fantastic.

I also LOVED the fact that this guy says clearly that some noobs just need to L2P. That kind of frankness only comes from someone who plays the game extensively himself, a developer who is also a competitive player = awesome.

No bullcrap, no marketing spin, just a skilled PVP developer with opinions and ideas who is open about discussing with the players.

You can tell this guy really cares about balance and competitive gaming above all, and that's exactly what you want.

Let's face it, PVP in other MMOs like SWTOR, WoW, Aion, AOC, etc is a joke. No one takes it seriously, and no MMO has e-sport PVP. It's too unbalanced.

GW2 has a very good chance at it because it's already the most balanced MMO, and about to become even more balanced in every little detail.

I think that with the mindset displayed in the video, they might have the biggest esport game of 2013. 

Anyway, just watch it in full and make up your own mind.

Blizzard just had their WoW Arena World Championships a couple of weeks ago.  It had Arena teams from all over the world going head to head for an entire weekend.   Not sure where you're getting your facts from.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7831336/The_Battlenet_World_Championship_has_Concluded_VODs_Inside-11_17_2012

Thats generally what happens when you fund your own tournaments. It does not mean WoW Arena is an e-sport. This is a Blizzard sponsored tournament, this isn't MLG or anything like that. Infact...weren't they kicked out of the MLG? Lol. WoW does not and will not support E-Sports. A developer even said recently that the goal with the game's pvp balance is focused  around skilll AND gear. This is not something that a good E-sport has. A good E-Sport would be based on skill alone. (Balance aside, of coarse) 

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

If this open, unscripted discussion with the developers is anything to go by:

GW2 is set for huge e-sport success.

They are very clear that they are not rushing it, but the announced balance changes, the pacing of changes, the way they are approaching their PVP game is fantastic.

I also LOVED the fact that this guy says clearly that some noobs just need to L2P. That kind of frankness only comes from someone who plays the game extensively himself, a developer who is also a competitive player = awesome.

No bullcrap, no marketing spin, just a skilled PVP developer with opinions and ideas who is open about discussing with the players.

You can tell this guy really cares about balance and competitive gaming above all, and that's exactly what you want.

Let's face it, PVP in other MMOs like SWTOR, WoW, Aion, AOC, etc is a joke. No one takes it seriously, and no MMO has e-sport PVP. It's too unbalanced.

GW2 has a very good chance at it because it's already the most balanced MMO, and about to become even more balanced in every little detail.

I think that with the mindset displayed in the video, they might have the biggest esport game of 2013. 

Anyway, just watch it in full and make up your own mind.

Blizzard just had their WoW Arena World Championships a couple of weeks ago.  It had Arena teams from all over the world going head to head for an entire weekend.   Not sure where you're getting your facts from.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7831336/The_Battlenet_World_Championship_has_Concluded_VODs_Inside-11_17_2012

Thats generally what happens when you fund your own tournaments. It does not mean WoW Arena is an e-sport. This is a Blizzard sponsored tournament, this isn't MLG or anything like that. Infact...weren't they kicked out of the MLG? Lol. WoW does not and will not support E-Sports. A developer even said recently that the goal with the game's pvp balance is focused  around skilll AND gear. This is not something that a good E-sport has. A good E-Sport would be based on skill alone. (Balance aside, of coarse) 

WoW has the arena tournament.  The arena tournament is the method used to determine the best teams in each region.  This is a different system then what MLG and ESL used when picking teams as they would mostly just look at ratings from the WoW's live server. 

The arena tournament is similar to GW2's heart of the Mist where players have access to all gear available ingame along with pets.  The only exception is if Blizzard removes certain pve itemsdue to them being too powerful in a pvp setting.  Gear imbalances have only been an issue to the casual pvper playing on live - and even then they can make up the difference after a few weeks of honor and conquest grinding.

Additionally, Evil Geniuses still supports a WoW arena team (not really sure why): Talbadar, Cdew, and Azael.

But regardless, what really determines a game's e-sport viability is how popular it is.  GW2's SPvP scene is sinking.  Just read the official forums and see the complaints from the top players and teams.  Sure, they will act polite infront of the developers, but they voice their complaints freely on the forums and on their streams.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Yeah turns out a whole lot of people take it very seriously. In fact i doubt GW2 will ever have a competition that rivals Battlenet.

ArenA teams in WOW are ranked and face off in finals hosted around the world with the winning team taking over 125k grand prize. Jeez mmo 101

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Volume I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEbzNl_mDE&list=UL
    Volume II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poltQGmLu5M
    Volume III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iK-QnDSKys

And thats just for the Ranger profession.  All professions have bugs to their basic mechanics that have been reported on the forums.  GW2 has a looooong way to go before its E-sport viable.  Even then, I doubt it has a large enough dedicated pvp community interested in watching and supporting it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Full server in GW2 mean nothing, my server is full 24/7, but you can find less than 10 players in the myst and just 4 or 5 Spvp games running. 

It's pretty easy to catch a lie..spvp is shared across all servers. There is always, except for when they reset the servers, way more than 4 or 5 games running.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I'll make an e-wager with someone that this will not become any kind of major e-sport. It's way too much jack of all trades game and it came out of the gate way to weak for this and won't recover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Not a chance, sorry.
  • GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Bookah

Yeah turns out a whole lot of people take it very seriously. In fact i doubt GW2 will ever have a competition that rivals Battlenet.

ArenA teams in WOW are ranked and face off in finals hosted around the world with the winning team taking over 125k grand prize. Jeez mmo 101

Sorry but anyone who thinks WoW is even capable of being e-sport viable is a joke.

E-sport players are professionals and laugh at WoW players like Azael and Cdew, who are more $1 e-beggars on twitch than they are e-sports pros.

You would know this if you had any clue of what real e-sports is.

Arena isn't it, it's ridiculously unbalanced (think of the class balance jerks on warriors in wotlk, cata and mop), the meta is constantly swinging 180 degrees and arena itself an old boring pillar-humping formula that no one cares about outside of WoW no-lifers.

On top of that, you need to grind to level XX and grind gear to even play, which makes the competitive pool tiny compared to real esports where skill is the determining factor, not subscription fees, gear-grinding and time spent. The top of ladders in wow are infested with win-traders and exploiters, and even legit players have to deal with massive class balance swings every few months. It's a joke.

GW2 is not there yet on e-sports. It needs more viewers on twitch, it needs competitive ladders, spectator mode, etc. We all know this.

But because balance is a priority and GW2 is already the most balanced MMO out there (every class is viable in top end tPVP, yes even rangers, and its overall meta puts games like SWTOR and WoW to shame) it has a great chance to get there, and the video shows the correct attitude and priorities in careful balancing and esports feature additions to get there.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Haha, not only will it not be the biggest e-sport in 2013 (bigger than LOL, SC2, etc, haha), but it won't even be an e-sport.

Shitty games don't get to be e-sports, especially on PC.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If you are watching other people playing games instead of playing them yourselves you are doing it wrong.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    If you are watching other people playing games instead of playing them yourselves you are doing it wrong.

It's the same with watching sports? Hence the term e-sports? O_o

[mod edit]

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by IPolygon
    Actions first, talk later. GW1 started with more pvp features (ladder, matchmaking) than GW2 and was developed by a much smaller team. Needless to say, strategy is strong in the prequel, in the sequel not so much. That many classes are bugged and outclassed by others tells a lot about how important spvp actually is. In addtion to that, pvp being improved 5 months after release is bad considering their "when it's done" excuse. The game is far from done.

There is actually a ton of strategy in GW2, just not in randoms. Which was the same case in GW1.

Like what? I see tons of tactics, but no strategy whatsoever in this pvp.

It's pretty easy to catch a lie..spvp is shared across all servers. There is always, except for when they reset the servers, way more than 4 or 5 games running.

[mod edit]

Truth is, GW2 sPVP is a game of skill and strategy, and there is plenty of both, more than in any other MMO.

It's just that a lot of MMO players are stuck in the outdated, simple and easy to execute CCchain->burst mentality that makes WoW PVP a joke of constant class balance changes favouring whatever FOTM cc+burst comp works best that month.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Freezzo

[mod edit]

Well now that you mention it, yes, but at least with a real sport it's understandable why it might be inconvenient to go out to the field (if not outright dangerous on some cases) so you need to live vicariously to participate. But with gaming you can pretty much always log in and play with little inconvenience our risk to your health. No, watching others play games is just plain wrong.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

[mod edit]

Well now that you mention it, yes, but at least with a real sport it's understandable why it might be inconvenient to go out to the field (if not outright dangerous on some cases) so you need to live vicariously to participate. But with gaming you can pretty much always log in and play with little inconvenience our risk to your health. No, watching others play games is just plain wrong.

You're quite behind the times.

Just like sports, you can play games yourself.

Just like when you get good at sports (let's use the example of football) you get curious: what about the very best in the world at football? How do they play? What tactics do their team use? What can I learn from them? What about different teams, different players? What about my city's team, my national team, my college's team?

And thus people watch sports. And people watch e-sports, it's growing and becoming more mainstream.

[mod edit]

You're quite behind the times.

Just like sports, you can play games yourself.

Just like when you get good at sports (let's use the example of football) you get curious: what about the very best in the world at football? How do they play? What tactics do their team use? What can I learn from them? What about different teams, different players? What about my city's team, my national team, my college's team?

And thus people watch sports. And people watch e-sports, it's growing and becoming more mainstream.

This exactly. When I'm watching SC2 and I see a brilliant play I want to try it out on my own (after the matches are done). And it's very cool to watch them execute stuff I will never be able to do :D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If GW2 want to become the big E-sport they need to add more maps (with some other options to win, like capture the flag and so on) and more importantly, guild Vs guild PvP.

Right now in current shape I dont see the game becomming the next big E-sport.

And I actually play GW2s PvP, while it is fun I miss the guild Vs guild battles from the first game, they were loads of fun.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If people cheat, they at least set the population to "high", not full. Full means you cant get your friends into playing on your server which isnt great exactly.

Your MMO would have zero players since noone could create any characters on any server....

Originally posted by Loke666

If GW2 want to become the big E-sport they need to add more maps (with some other options to win, like capture the flag and so on) and more importantly, guild Vs guild PvP.

Right now in current shape I dont see the game becomming the next big E-sport.

And I actually play GW2s PvP, while it is fun I miss the guild Vs guild battles from the first game, they were loads of fun.

Tbh I think Anet should look at some maps in SWTOR and RIFT. Their PvP is not all that good (standard MMO PvP stuff), but their map design is quite cool and they have a lot of variety. SWTOR Hutball and Voidstar give really cool mechanics with a bigger strategy than just node control.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

[mod edit]

Truth is, GW2 sPVP is a game of skill and strategy, and there is plenty of both, more than in any other MMO.

It's just that a lot of MMO players are stuck in the outdated, simple and easy to execute CCchain->burst mentality that makes WoW PVP a joke of constant class balance changes favouring whatever FOTM cc+burst comp works best that month.

Is not a conspiracy, you can just try it for yourself, go and log now, at this time in the morning you´ll will find servers ¨full¨ but in-game you will find just a few players around and Spvp games running. And the problem with the spvp is about how easy and casual it is, you dont need skill or strategy all you need to do is ninja capture points or kill NPCs, and im not even talking about balance, atm is the worst Spvp MMO in the market.  

Is not a conspiracy, you can just try it for yourself, go and log now, at this time in the morning you´ll will find servers ¨full¨ but in-game you will find just a few players around and Spvp games running. And the problem with the spvp is about how easy and casual it is, you dont need skill or strategy all you need to do is ninja capture points or kill NPCs, and im not even talking about balance, atm is the worst Spvp MMO in the market.  

I just did that, right now, 2 mins after your post

...and you are a liar, Hikaru77.

Lion's Arch is in overflow, people are spamming for groups and there's too many sPVP games running to count. I am now in a queue for WvW in EB.

The server is obviously full.