Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is MMORPG.com’s Most Polarizing Game?

13»

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I would say this game. The exact same people post the same thing over and over again because they have nothing better in life to do. SWG fans still spout the same arguments and wishes endlessly. It's like 90% of these forums are identical threads with different titles rarely talking about anything fans who do like the game care to talk about. Most of the people I kept in touch with no longer post here because they feel it is a horrible resource for anyone that wants to actually talk about a game they may like. The people who hate the game get some sort of wierd sense of satisfaction that the game didn't meet expectations. Here in these forums, def the most polarizing to me. What I learned here on this site is that the forums are a great resource through beta testing and probably 2 weeks after release. Once that period passes, it doesn't matter what game it is, the whiners surface with repeated copy and paste attacks and are dissatisfied with every game...it just seems more amplified in these SWTOR forums.

There Is Always Hope!

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by keithian
    I would say this game. The exact same people post the same thing over and over again because they have nothing better in life to do. SWG fans still spout the same arguments and wishes endlessly. It's like 90% of these forums are identical threads with different titles rarely talking about anything fans who do like the game care to talk about. Most of the people I kept in touch with no longer post here because they feel it is a horrible resource for anyone that wants to actually talk about a game they may like. The people who hate the game get some sort of wierd sense of satisfaction that the game didn't meet expectations. Here in these forums, def the most polarizing to me. What I learned here on this site is that the forums are a great resource through beta testing and probably 2 weeks after release. Once that period passes, it doesn't matter what game it is, the whiners surface with repeated copy and paste attacks and are dissatisfied with every game...it just seems more amplified in these SWTOR forums.

Welcome to MMORPG.COM

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

SWTOR is currently the most polarizing game written about in forums on MMORPG.com where every thread is liable to lead to a fight between posters that love or hate it.

True or False?

If false please nominate your candidate game below in a post. Do you think there is a particular trait of SWTOR that makes it such a contentious topic for posting? Let me know.

I dont think so since a VAST majority of people hate the game than like it. You're more likely to find yourself with a bunch of like minded people hating this game.

GW2 is probably the most polarizing game.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

SWTOR is currently the most polarizing game written about in forums on MMORPG.com where every thread is liable to lead to a fight between posters that love or hate it.

True or False?

If false please nominate your candidate game below in a post. Do you think there is a particular trait of SWTOR that makes it such a contentious topic for posting? Let me know.

Gonna have to vote NO, since I believe GW2 deserves that nomination.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    SWTOR is old news at this point. I think this post is just a desperate attempt to keep it relevant. Pretty obvious to me that GW2 would be the most polarizing game on here.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Sw0rn2TheDark

Clearly the SWTOR defense team needs some new recruits so...

here I be. Game is fun. Yes, it is. 

Did it meet expectations? No. Have any of the big titles? Nerp. Was that even possible? Nope.

Good game, playing and will continue to play. They have a lot of room for improvement but as long as we see growth, I'm good with it. 

Oh and to respond to the actual purpose of this thread...lol...I would say GW2 is more polarizing, as yes, the majority of the community do seem to dislike the old republic outright(wonder how many actually played??), while GW2 opinions seem to come from both ends of the spectrum.

Welcome to the team :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    The GW2 crusades were and still are much worse. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

ST: TOR was the most polarizing game, now I hardly see people writing about it, it's all GW2

(If you are talking long run then it would be WoW)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

True or False?

Bah i hate that type of stereotyping.

No game on this entire planet can relate to people fighting or arguing.That is always 100% each individuals fault,with ZERO excuse to blame anyone else.If someone else  has a different opinion than yourself,so what?accept it.

Swtor was simply a current game that garnered a lot fo interest,as expected,it is only the biggest IP name in all of gaming.

Gw2 is another,it just so happens to be recent and is run by a developer that does a lot of bragging and tries to downplay all other developers efforts.

What ever the current trend in topics,it still remains whatever is RECENT.

Soon other new games will crop into the topics,then some immature people will lay blame for their anger on others saying something bad about the game they play.

I can sum it up REAL easy,if you can't control your anger over a video game discussion,how on erath will you ever become a parent or be responsible in life?

What really creates arguments,is when some immature people feel the need to insult others by calling other users trolls or some other ignorant insult.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I think GW2 wins the title of most polarizing game on this site hands down.  It's true that SWTOR had it's run, but it's peanuts compared to GW2 over all.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    SWTOR is this seasons train wreck, especially with the F2P bologna.. It'll go away and become back burner chat in good time..  Time heals all wounds, so they say..
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    I would say that GW2 is much more polarizing than SWTOR.  Most people agree that SWTOR was a disappointment.

Well I'm one of those that LOVE literaly SWTOR. For me is best , most fun, game ever. Actually sharing trone in my eyes with wow. Leveled all possible alts without ever being bored, bugless release, great sw feeling, .... But I do not care for pvp and endgame and as it looks game here disappointed. For the rest all the best. Unless YOU know that I love more. .-)

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i'd say swtor is.  for as much hype as gw2 had/has.  swtor was bigger. 
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    SWTOR is this seasons train wreck, especially with the F2P bologna.. It'll go away and become back burner chat in good time..  Time heals all wounds, so they say..

Clearly you have never heard of SWG.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

I played SWTOR for about 5 months and tbh had an absolute blast. I mostly just did the PVP warzones but it got to be just too monotonous with what was at the time only 3 or 4 warzones.  The bugs in the game never bothered me and I think that their staff did a pretty good job with the resources that they had; they were always super nice to me in my tickets.  

I don't think that SWTOR is polarizing, and certainly not the most polarizing of all time.  I got bored with it though and ended my sub.

Played gw2 for only a month and got bored with it... it had everything you would think you would want but for some reason just did not appeal to me, but the game is truly well done.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

SWTOR was last year's polarizing game.

This year it's GW2. Get with the times.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Karteli

GW2 is more polarizing, simply because the fanbase is ruthless in going after anyone who even slighty criticizes GW2.  Say the color of the sky is slightly off and you'll get dozens of angry responses accusing you of never playing the game, not knowing what you're talking about,  being a hater, or working for another company to smear GW2 in some way.

It's actually that fanbase that drives me away from GW2.  The official SWTOR forums are bad, but GW2 forums are bad EVERYWHERE in every forum.

SWTOR folk outside the official forums seem more willing to discuss the issues at hand .. although SWTOR doesn't have a very bright future :/

It is just the same few people that gets upset about well founded critque (like saying that the necropet AI suck for example).

Check out what people lashes out on you, either they are the same as always or the have a few posts only (probably on a temp ban with the normal account).

Then again if you insult people and say their game just suck people tend to be upset but that really goes for any forum.

I have to agree that GW2 is the most polarizing game right now though, because it have an equal small but loud troll haters as well as fanbois. Most people on this forum is actually rather mature and dont flame and insult other people.

I think if our mods would release some info then it would show that a few percentage of all posters stand for at least 90% of all bans, and a lot of those people have very strong opinions one way or another about GW2 at the moment. Then again, it is the latest AAA MMO that released, I think most of them will move on to troll the next AAA MMO when it finally releases. 

Anyone who is saying a game is perfect is either delirious, have very low standards or is selling you something.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Mentioning GW2 is your post is a sure way to get attention these days. It's a bit boring, tbh. Trolls don't even have to try. Just write something like "lol i don't even want to play this gam anymore. its so boring after gw2 de and quests are old and outdated" and you'll get a week's worth of attention.
  • Sw0rn2TheDarkSw0rn2TheDark Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Did it meet expectations? No. Have any of the big titles? Nerp. Was that even possible? Nope.

Good game, playing and will continue to play. They have a lot of room for improvement but as long as we see growth, I'm good with it. 

Oh and to respond to the actual purpose of this thread...lol...I would say GW2 is more polarizing, as yes, the majority of the community do seem to dislike the old republic outright(wonder how many actually played??), while GW2 opinions seem to come from both ends of the spectrum.

Happy to be here. The whole thing is madness. SWTOR is a good game, it really is. I know its not what everyone is looking for, but what part of it is BAD? Not your cup of tea? I understand. Bad? Really? Where are all the game breaking bugs I keep reading about? Yes, its annoying that my companion cant properly put away her lightsaber. Yes, its stupid that they havent fixed it yet. Gamebreaker, though? Game runs great on my machine, never been randomly booted or had it crash. No idea. I know different people have different experiences, but I havent seen them, nor heard about any in my guild. Weird.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Happy to be here. The whole thing is madness. SWTOR is a good game, it really is. I know its not what everyone is looking for, but what part of it is BAD? Not your cup of tea? I understand. Bad? Really? Where are all the game breaking bugs I keep reading about? Yes, its annoying that my companion cant properly put away her lightsaber. Yes, its stupid that they havent fixed it yet. Gamebreaker, though? Game runs great on my machine, never been randomly booted or had it crash. No idea. I know different people have different experiences, but I havent seen them, nor heard about any in my guild. Weird.

It might seem like madness if you wish to just trivialize everyones discontent down to a single glitch.  You may want to look at a bigger picture, maybe even visit and read the Why I Unsubscribed thread on the SWTOR official forums to get a deeper understanding.

Or read around this site and consider others opinions, even if you don't entirely feel the same way.  These people, are after all, your Star Wars peers.

SWTOR has/had huge potential.  Other factors are diminishing the playerbase.  Maybe once the factors are considered by EA and hardcore SW fans, stuff might get better.  Saying "the game is fine", "I don't understand other people", "It's great for me, that is all that matters", or "Not your cup of tea (go away play something else, stop posting here)" isn't going to increase the playerbase, but rather help the game to stagnate faster.  I realize you didn't say most of that stuff, but it's just to put various quotes in the spotlight, from certain people who passionately defend SWTOR / EA.

Bad press lights a fire under EA's ass, and that is apparently a major event that motivates them to do significant improvements (F2P changes on multiple occurances, as an example).  Bad press directly affects their share value and incoming revenue.  If fans keep putting the fire out, the population will just continue to dwindle, because not everyone still playing is an all-out SWTOR / EA fan.

Some companies just need a fire under their ass to get stuff done.  EA is this type of company .. too many suits & yes-men, not enough real gamers.  Imagine if EA actually had real gamers who could say, "Excuse me, Mr-SuitAndTie_09, the idea you propose is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard", without fear of being fired.

edit: minor spelling / qualifyers

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Most "love to hate" game yes.

Polarising no. That would require a lot more people to love it! As it is its just hated with 1-2 fans floating around.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I guess the case could be made, after all, there are some who claim SWTOR sucks, but on the other had there are others who claim SWTOR really, really sucks. Now that it's free to play I wll try it out and decide for myself whether it sucks or it really, really sucks.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Durray

Most "love to hate" game yes.

Polarising no. That would require a lot more people to love it! As it is its just hated with 1-2 fans floating around.

I think your math is way off dude.  The servers are full left and right.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Polarizing?  Not really.   Majority opinion is that it is crap or totally medicore at best.