Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: LFG App Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A fan-made Guild Wars 2 "Looking for Group" app has been released. According to a thread on Reddit, "Arxae" has created a way for players to find groups across servers and to avoid the tiresome spamming of "LFG".

• Great way to find a group even across different home servers.

• No need to stand in Lions Arch spamming chat for a group

• Quick way to advertise you are looking for a group

• Quick way to pick up that last needed member.

Grab it on the official GW2 LFG site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

A fan-made Guild Wars 2 "Looking for Group" app has been released. According to a thread on Reddit, "Arxae" has created a way for players to find groups across servers and to avoid the tiresome spamming of "LFG".

There already is a LFG in the game - look under Friend's List.

I don't know why people don't use it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Super usefull!

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    GW2 desperately needs a way to queue up for any dungeon you want to do.  Please make it so!
    Originally posted by botrytis

Donwload the app, you will notice the difference.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by botrytis

Because it's useless. All it does it puts an icon above your head that you are looking for group, nothing else. Nobody knows what are you looking group for.

I've been using gw2lfg.com, and it's great! You can quickly find group for anything!

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    It's sad fans had to do it instead of Anet but at the same time I am very impressed by the community =] gj.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    as I never sign up for anything or run game/mod tools or the like on my gaming machine, how does it work. Can I use my notebook to access it without ever using my game account information, or running it on my gaming machine?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled
    as I never sign up for anything or run game/mod tools or the like on my gaming machine, how does it work. Can I use my notebook to access it without ever using my game account information, or running it on my gaming machine?

I installed it on my android.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I installed it on my android.

ok, I'll check it out.  TY

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

"Arxae" has created a way for players to find groups across servers and to avoid the tiresome spamming of "LFG".

----------

But...but...I thought spamming LFG was all a part of the "community" that other tools like LFD killed...

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    There's also a website dedicated to this kind of stuff. http://gw2lfg.com/
  • aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

The times have changed my friend. Im sure you can look back through those rose tinted glasses and see why those times were great. 

Unless you are somewhat new to the MMO genre as your sacrasm suggests

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

It will be interesting to see how all this developes in the near future.

Now there is not only certain gear required, but also an Android smartphone.

"LFG blabla, gear+phone check at LA statue"

or

" LFM 1 necro, 1 mage dial 01932724387"

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Volgore

It will be interesting to see how all this developes in the near future.

Now there is not only certain gear required, but also an Android smartphone.

"LFG blabla, gear+phone check at LA statue"

or

" LFM 1 necro, 1 mage dial 01932724387"

The app is an extension of gw2lfg.com, you don't need a phone to use it and I highly doubt developers of a PC game are going to force people to use their phone for something when their places are *drum roll* at the PC playing the game. The app is just useful to have for those that don't want to alt tab a bunch.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    And so the inevitable march towards homogenisation continues.......
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by SirFubar

I've seen this site before.  I have only run one dungeon in GW2 as I'm not a big dungeon runner.  Admittedly if they had a group finder in the game I probably would have run more. 

However there's something I don't understand about this site.  It doesn't say what server the group is being formed on.  Can you run groups with people from other servers?  It's just something I don't understand about it.  I play on Maguuma for instance.  When looking at the postings there, no server is specified.  Do servers not matter in this case?  How so?  Any explanation would be helpful to me.  Thanks in advance. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by QSatu
    It's sad fans had to do it instead of Anet but at the same time I am very impressed by the community =] gj.

Group PvE was such an afterthought in this game...

It's what ultimately killed it for me tbh.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I've seen this site before.  I have only run one dungeon in GW2 as I'm not a big dungeon runner.  Admittedly if they had a group finder in the game I probably would have run more. 

However there's something I don't understand about this site.  It doesn't say what server the group is being formed on.  Can you run groups with people from other servers?  It's just something I don't understand about it.  I play on Maguuma for instance.  When looking at the postings there, no server is specified.  Do servers not matter in this case?  How so?  Any explanation would be helpful to me.  Thanks in advance. 

Dungeons are cross-server.

• Originally posted by Corehaven

Parties do not need to consist of people from only one server. For example, when you are on an overflow you generally are on ANOTHER server's instance of that zone. It's why names are unique game-wide.

Side effect is when running dungeons, you can then have a team made of mixed severs, which is where this site comes in handy, sinec you are not limited to your guild(s) and whoever is in the same zone as you.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Or more accurately, players fixing known in-game issues in an original fashion.  Honesly im impressed by their resourcefulness, its that kind of ability that brought all the mods etc, to WoW's interface etc. Perhaps we'll soon be seeing mods for GW2 that improve gameplay, auto-dodge would be handy for those whose reaction timing isnt that great. image

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Psychow

"Arxae" has created a way for players to find groups across servers and to avoid the tiresome spamming of "LFG".

----------

But...but...I thought spamming LFG was all a part of the "community" that other tools like LFD killed...

Yeah I always hated that argument against dungeon finders. Map spam just annoys me, it will be great when they put in a LFD / LFG feature so people can have actual discussions in map, rather than being flooded with LFG comments.

If anything LFG spam ruins the community feel.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Or more accurately, players fixing known in-game issues in an original fashion.  Honesly im impressed by their resourcefulness, its that kind of ability that brought all the mods etc, to WoW's interface etc. Perhaps we'll soon be seeing mods for GW2 that improve gameplay, auto-dodge would be handy for those whose reaction timing isnt that great. image

Auto-dodge would be against the ToS ;) Would impart an unfair advantage to those using it over those not using it.

• baschxdbaschxd Member Posts: 1

If you don't know, some guy make a website more complete:

http://findagroup.tk

It's totally free and more targeted.

*Just need more players knowing.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Psychow

----------

That's one thing I find funny about discussions about LFG tools. People claim that it leads to lobby games where everyone is just standing in a central hub while waiting for the LFG tool to assign them to their dungeons... but IMHO that is a problem of game design, not the LFG tool.

Personally, at least when I played WoW (until WotLK, but left a little time before the LK raid was added), having the LFG tool meant that I could look for groups for dungeons while going out in the world questing, gathering, and meeting (and usually helping) other people, and things like daily quests that gave me a reason to go out in the world. Of course, that also depends on how well designed the LFG tool is, and I liked how it was in WoW back them, you could basically just mark yourself as LFG for a specific dungeon and see the other people marked as LFG or groups LFM. No automatic group placement, you had to actually talk to people to get them to join your group or to be invited to one.

Compare it with a more recent game, TSW, that I do believe that the lack of a LFG tool actually turned it into more of a lobby game. If you have a LFG tool means that you can be out on the world while looking for a group for a dungeon or other end game activity... TSW didn't have one at first, so people started to just stay in one place (Agartha) instead of out in the world because if you weren't there spamming LFG, or reading the groups LFM, then you just couldn't PuG any of the end game dungeons.

What can men do against such reckless hate?