Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's not the game's

vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

What the hell is going on with mmo's.

Most if not all mmos out right now are just full of asshats, trolls, and what seems to be just disgruntled players.

Is this the age of trolls  in games now or did I miss the sign up for the internet bullie club?

At this point I'm done with mmos. The last few I have been playing are so far gone it's sad.

Games like perpetuum great game and ideas but the last 50-100 bitter people playing it make people quit.

Eve for another it's one thing to allow scamming or thiefs its another to use that as an ad pitch.  The last thing eve needs is

more scammers and gankers (no I did not lose my stuff )

I once read a paper writen by a long time psychologist that stated the personality we portay ourselfs as in a game

is an extention of who we are or what we would like to be.

If thats true then I know of some really messed up people in the game world.

Just my two cents. All comments welcome.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    As opposed to what?  Some fictional time when everyone on the Internet was civil?  That some people are jerks online is the way it has been for as long there have been a substantial number of people online.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    People were jerks before the Internet as well.  Just a thought.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

too many overcasualized trash MMOs ?

don't worry.. 2013 will be the year of sandbox.

freedom from levels and classes is coming, worlds will be more immersive than ever..

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    As opposed to what?  Some fictional time when everyone on the Internet was civil?  That some people are jerks online is the way it has been for as long there have been a substantial number of people online.

As opposed to say 10 years ago. When I started useing the internet it was all txt based BBC boards. I have been here since the start and I can say 100% that the people online are not anywhere near what "was". As for the gaming side I can name and think of more older games and online co-ops like the old mechwarrior where I met some of the cooliest laid back people I have ever known. It seems that the new age of gamers acts like there's something to prove via a keyboard and screen.

The main point is people have changed and so have the games I just fail to see it as the gaming industrys problem. It's more of the gamers then the people that make them.

Originally posted by vonryan123

As opposed to say 10 years ago. When I started useing the internet it was all txt based BBC boards. I have been here since the start and I can say 100% that the people online are not anywhere near what "was". As for the gaming side I can name and think of more older games and online co-ops like the old mechwarrior where I met some of the cooliest laid back people I have ever known. It seems that the new age of gamers acts like there's something to prove via a keyboard and screen.

The main point is people have changed and so have the games I just fail to see it as the gaming industrys problem. It's more of the gamers then the people that make them.

and I can say 100% that people were much bigger jerks 10 years ago than they are now.  What is today is much better than what was.

It's all subjective, and even saying whether or not people changed to become jerklike or not isn't very accurate in a meaningful way.

I mean, maybe it is just you?  Maybe with more people on the Internet and easier ways to find people online, the number of jerks relative to nice folks stayed the same but are encountered more often or easier?  maybe people don't like you and are mean to you while most people are perfectly nice?

Main point is, there is no way you know how people as a whole have changed or not.

Originally posted by FromHell

freedom from levels and classes is coming, worlds will be more immersive than ever..

I can tell you from years in DFO/eve/mo/perp  sandbox pretty much stands for Trolls. I have yet to even play one thats not full of thiefs, liars, and just plan rude people.

P.S. To all the people that say they have always been here. No they havent and my bad for saying I for one am sick of it. World as a whole has enough BS I dont need to login to a mmo for more drama and trolling.

P.S. To all the people that say they have always been here. No they havent and my bad for saying I for one am sick of it. World as a whole has enough BS I dont need to login to a mmo for more drama and trolling.

I think the concept of a 'prank' or 'practical joke' and such things predates electricity even.

Considering that the original poster cites EVE and Perpetuum, I don't think excessively casual is the problem.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

and I can say 100% that people were much bigger jerks 10 years ago than they are now.  What is today is much better than what was.

It's all subjective, and even saying whether or not people changed to become jerklike or not isn't very accurate in a meaningful way.

I mean, maybe it is just you?  Maybe with more people on the Internet and easier ways to find people online, the number of jerks relative to nice folks stayed the same but are encountered more often or easier?  maybe people don't like you and are mean to you while most people are perfectly nice?

Main point is, there is no way you know how people as a whole have changed or not.

It depends somewhat on the game.  I've been playing online games since 1999, and people were jerks then, too.  If you go back 20 years ago, there were plenty of jerks who played games then as well, but the difference was that you had no contact with them.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I can tell you from years in DFO/eve/mo/perp  sandbox pretty much stands for Trolls. I have yet to even play one thats not full of thiefs, liars, and just plan rude people.

the real world is full of the same people.

Sandbox just allows them to be how they are in real life and the game doesn't put everyone one a restrictive emo railroad track...

I prefer realism in games

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Lets be a bit more on the clear side this is not about me. It's about the chats I see the general chat trolling the verbal beat downs etc. I for one dont talk in local/global chats I havent for years old eve habbit.

It's more about what I'm seeing others be subjected to. Again take perpetuum as an example. Started a corp with a few friends started getting new and I mean new players and in less time then a trial they have ALL quit and more then half have made it clear why they quit "community sucks". Thats the same reason I never gave wow a chance the majority of people that play that game are kids and adults who act like kids. To be fair I know more people under 14 that act better then most that are above 30.

But again this is by no means a "aww poor me no one likes me on the interwebz".

This is on the other more about people running off others in a "game"

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

I once read a paper writen by a long time psychologist that stated the personality we portay ourselfs as in a game

Says the guy with a Dark Knight sig

Originally posted by nateslo

Says the guy with a Dark Knight sig

you ever clicked that sig and done the test .....Its meant to be a joke not a personafication of a forum avatar

love the pic btw great movie

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Would like that...but feel most of the immersion will be drowned out by foul mouthed idiots naming their characters Uberpwner, Ilykebewbs and the like. MMORPG's will sadly never be the same since going mainstream.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    There have always been jerk offs and there always will be jerk offs. Thats why there is block features in just about everything.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Its more prevalent in the genre now because the genre has become popular among gamers as a general audience. A lot more kids are playing than before..look at kids these days and you pretty much have your answer (XBOX Live..). 

Until a game comes around that is actually difficult again, you won't get rid of the trolls/asshats that have popped up in the last few years. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

Its more prevelent in the genre now because the genre has become popular among gamers as a general audience. A lot more kids are playing than before..look at kids these days and you pretty much have your answer (XBOX Live..). 

Until a game comes around that is actually difficult again, you won't get rid of the trolls/asshats that have popped up in the last few years. 

Not even then, because a large majority of those people will whine for the game to be dumbed down and won't simply move on to something else. Selfishness is rampant anymore. It's not enough that the larger majority of MMORPG's already cater to their desired play style.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Its more prevelent in the genre now because the genre has become popular among gamers as a general audience. A lot more kids are playing than before..look at kids these days and you pretty much have your answer (XBOX Live..). 

Not even then, because a large majority of those people will whine for the game to be dumbed down and won't simply move on to something else. Selfishness is rampant anymore. It's not enough that the larger majority of MMORPG's already cater to them.

{True Strike}

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

I agree I used to play games / browse the internet / read forums.. 10+ years ago. And I have seen it get increasingly worse over the years. Since I played WoW the longest (olmost non-stop since beta) I use it as my 'main' reference. 

Back in vanilla and maybe also TBC. The general populace was friendly and helpful. Sure there are always a few rude jerks trying to ruin things. But the rude and totally immature behavior has gone from a vast minority to a majority. The current community feeling of WoW is what eventually made me quit a few months back. People just do not give a single fuck anymore about other people online.

Whats the cause of this? Nobody really knows...

But we live in a tense and stressful world. We are expected to do so many things and are expected to keep pushing ourselves further and further every single day. People build up quite some stress during regular days and tend to have a short fuse.

Society is getting worse by the day. Maybe you don't see it but I sure do.  21 dec 2012 won't kill us, a big meteor won't kill us, the earth  won't suddenly explode. If anything will kill us it's mankind itself, and more so society as it is today.

(Sorry for going slightly OT)

Originally posted by joeri123

I agree I used to play games / browse the internet / read forums.. 10+ years ago. And I have seen it get increasingly worse over the years. Since I played WoW the longest (olmost non-stop since beta) I use it as my 'main' reference. 

Back in vanilla and maybe also TBC. The general populace was friendly and helpful. Sure there are always a few rude jerks trying to ruin things. But the rude and totally immature behavior has gone from a vast minority to a majority. The current community feeling of WoW is what eventually made me quit a few months back. People just do not give a single fuck anymore about other people online.

But we live in a tense and stressful world. We are expected to do so many things and are expected to keep pushing ourselves further and further every single day. People build up quite some stress during regular days and tend to have a short fuse.

Society is getting worse by the day. Maybe you don't see it but I sure do.  21 dec 2012 won't kill us, a big meteor won't kill us, the earth  won't suddenly explode. If anything will kill us it's mankind itself, and more so society as it is today.

Well said

Originally posted by joeri123

No one can say for certain...but having been in the MMORPG genre since 1999 myself....I've been here long enough to see player attitude and the genre evolve (sadly it's more de-evolve) which definitely played a large role in it. The easier they get, and more "user friendly" they become...the less players need other players....making community almost extinct.

Back in the day...content was more group oriented. A player acted like an a-hole...the community shunned them. So they either straightened up, or just left the game because they couldn't get groups or join Guilds because it was spread across the server who the idiots were.

Now? You can solo to level cap in most MMO's. You can have NPC helper's, you can even buy items that allow you to change your character race/gender/name/looks....allowing jerks to start fresh and not have to worry about....well... not continuing to be a jerk.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Hipster much ?